Voters
167. This poll is closed
  • Yes

84 50.30%
  • No

83 49.70%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I played GW2 for a month and was bored out of my mind. I wouldn't bother.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaiara View Post
    asked many people, who had the same problems.
    and yes, I meant WvsW, and as I only used that from time to time, I had no pvp gear, just my normal stuff. also it was no zerk fest.
    no, I didn't repait each time I dies, only when things were completely destroyed.
    no, my friends couldn't join me in my personal quest, we tried several times and it didn't work. the first time someone could join me was because he was on the same quest.
    I didn't use ports after a few levels because I considered them too expensive and refused to pay that price.

also when I (or my friends and me) started (at release) the economy on the realm was nearly non-existent, no chance on selling things on the trading company, and all the money we had went into repairing our equipment.
    there were many bugs (like for the second dungeon where it took us about 4 hours to get the whole group into the same version of the dungeon) which just sucked and made the game even worse.

I have no problem with people liking the game, I just know I'll never play it again and my friends won't do so either.

edit:
    just to let you know, that's my experience and the experience of my friends. if you like the game, play it. but please don't try to change my opinion
    I didn't mean to change your opinion just correct some inaccuracies, I helped a friend as recent as today in his personal quest for one, as far as economy it's no diffrent today you can't sell green or blue stuff on the TP as everything like that is sold for vendor price by dumb and/or lazy people anyways if you asked alot of people that had the same problems as you, you couldn't have gotten very good advice could you? too bad no biggie...

Deleted
    Question for those saying they got bored fast: what wouldn't bore you fast? Or rather: what do you compare your GW2 experience with? Also: which class did you play (as some are simply quite boring)?

Mmo wise I only have WoW to compare and I personally find the combat and questing there a giant snoozefest (though I do like the story telling) while in GW2 with the dodging and more active combat and getting pulled from one event to the next it just feels much more active - I can do that for hours on end while I log off WoW after 30 mins.

But I haven't done Tera, Rift, TSW or any of the other MMO's so haven't got a huge basis for comparison, plus it's also a matter of personal taste, so I'm just wondering what the critique is based on (and maybe have a look at other games that are deemed "less boring" than GW2, I'm always open to suggestions).

I played WoW specifically for PvP, and I read all these things over the years saying GW was the PvP MMO. So I tried this one, but I personally was not impressed with the gameplay. I love certain aspects of it, such as no gear, no level restrictions to PvP, etc. Removing the grind is beautiful. But the PvP itself and the class mechanics left a lot to be desired, IMO. The WvW is siege PvP, which I never cared for, and the sPvP feels more like arena than BGs. Again, not my preference. But as others have said, you have to try it and decide for yourself. It is a one time purchase game, as all MMOs should be, so you can just play around with it at whatever pace you want.

With the ongoing Black-Friday sale offering $60 game for... $60 I would definitely wait a couple of months.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Swoopeh View Post
    Question for those saying they got bored fast: what wouldn't bore you fast? Or rather: what do you compare your GW2 experience with? Also: which class did you play (as some are simply quite boring)?

Mmo wise I only have WoW to compare and I personally find the combat and questing there a giant snoozefest (though I do like the story telling) while in GW2 with the dodging and more active combat and getting pulled from one event to the next it just feels much more active - I can do that for hours on end while I log off WoW after 30 mins.

But I haven't done Tera, Rift, TSW or any of the other MMO's so haven't got a huge basis for comparison, plus it's also a matter of personal taste, so I'm just wondering what the critique is based on (and maybe have a look at other games that are deemed "less boring" than GW2, I'm always open to suggestions).
    Questing in Tera will make you want to slash your wrists, literally, Rift questing works exactly like WoW with the addition of Rifts and invasions bigger and smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    38 haters(/butthurt wow players) gonna hate.

It has more than a few issues but it's definitely worth $60 with no sub fee.
    So if anyone votes no, they're a butthurt WoW player? Can't I vote no because I genuinely don't like the game, having played to level 50 or so?

Quote Originally Posted by Swoopeh View Post

I believe it comes down to some players being more partial to an action based game [GW2] than a progression/stat based game of permanence.

Its like, as a personal example, the combat in GW2 feels pretty good and it's fun. But there is a LOT of combat. Almost constantly, fightfightfightfightfightfight seemingly without end no matter what zone you are in or what you are doing.

Yea, I can pick cabbages to help the farm over fighting centaurs but the former is sorta not engaging or the really the point of the game. I mean they built this awesome combat system-- I don't think spamming F to deposit cabbages is the real thrust of it.

Now that's all well and good. Yet the effect of constant battle for no real end at a certain point becomes sorta mindless. And flatly, pointless.

There is nothing I gain out of fighting more centaurs, Which again is fine. Content for it's own sake and all that, but it does wear thin in GW2 due to repetition and lack of higher consideration.

I can enjoy the game in short bursts- when I am in the mode for an action game, basically. That gets back to partiality to either an action orientated game or a progression/stat based game. Some players are more inclined toward one or the other.

To answer your questions more specifically & maybe offer a more balanced view:

Q. What wouldn't bore you fast?
    A. A measure of actual PVE progression I found meaningful in either mastery or advancement. I do not PVP.

Q. what do you compare your GW2 experience with?
    A. Secret World, Rift, Guild Wars 1, Everquest 2, SWTOR, Radiant Arcana, Vindictus, Aion and Tera in recent years and months. I still dabble in all those to varying degrees. When I am in the mood for a change of pace from Rift or EQ2, I might decide to make headway in Secret World or Aion.

Personally speaking the biggest issue I have with GW2 is the relative shallow PVE experience. In stark contrast to the original Guild Wars [which I still play] there is just no higher or deeper strategy to the game. Its just a relatively simple action based game with a few [very] limited & flat systems tossed in which don't really deepen gameplay much at all.

Just an MMO action game. And I think Tera, Riaderz and Vindictus did GW2 one better in that regard.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-11-23 at 11:46 PM.

Deleted
    I'd say, if you like traditional computer RPG levelling process (= going through the world, doing minor tasks as you find them while following one main quest), go for it. The game is awesome in this aspect. The world is huge and you can't outlevel anything, no zone ever becomes irrelevant. You can walk around finding more tasks, more things to do. I often find myself being carried away by the flow of dynamic events, ending in entirely different places than I was meant to go: look, centaurs are repairing the bridge so they can invade human lands, I must stop them... oh, now they brought trebuchets, got to torch them down before they destroy the town... and it goes on.

I found the combat rather fun, too. You can actually use movement as both weapon and defensive measure... you're constantly on the move and there is no dedicated healer to save your hide. And each weapon is very different to others, for example staff elementalist versus dagger elementalist, they play like two entirely different classes.

Seems to me GW2 is awesome for "binge playing". The game is waiting for you to return without having to think about subscriptions: simply jump in, spent two or three weeks - or months - in Tyria, until you get tired and ready to return back to whatever you were doing before. Perfect "fallback" game to cure the P2P MMO frustration. Sure, it lacks the complexity of LOTRO, the multiple storylines of SWTOR, the scope of WOW, the originality of Ryzom and the just-plain-awesomeness of TSW, but it surely is a good game to have. And since it only just started, I guess it can only get better from here.

Yes you should buy it. It is a great way to spend a couple of hours a week when you have nothing else to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Because he's just giving general advice, you don't need to have played the game to know that.
    these forums bug the crap of me now with posts like this.

here's one. MoP is nothing but a game about panda's and pet battles because that's what I've seen in the forums lately and on youtube. Actually its about orc and humans vs panda's becuase I've seen the trailer.
    "you can't be serious!!" - yes actually I am.

The PvP is amazing fun. So different from WoW, yet so awesome in all ways. It's a great game to fall back on if you would ever tire of what ever other games you play. PvP is very balanced, so ye, not like WoW in that way.

10+ Year Old Account
    The game is decent at best. The first 10 hours of the game seemed awesome, but shortly after that it started feeling very repetitive and boring. If I could take my purchase back, I would. Like I said, the game is decent, my time is too valuable doing other things than to spend it on this game.

The game is worth the money, really.
    Even if you were to get bored after 1-2months (the amount of hours youll spend will be well worth it).
    Its a fun game that doesnt force you to play it nonstop, you play it when you feel like it, have the time and want to.
    The PvE aspect is actually interesting and fun, youre on an adventure where you travel and discover, take part in events... the world does feel alive.
    If youre into instanced raiding then you wont really find it here. WvW is fun, but its totally different.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmatrix View Post
    It depends on what you are after. For PvE then I would say no, its not quite up to par from that stand point. For PvP then I would say yes, that is the game's main focus along with jumping puzzles.

Disclaimer: My view is that of an outsider so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
    Having a blast while lvling I fully disagree with you on PvE. I don't know about how replayable the content is or endgame (highest level ~50), but I have started an other character of different race and completely different area etc. There's mob tagging, you can just quest/event with people around you. World PvP is there, but entirely optional and voluntary (WvWvW). If you want grinds, raiding, wPvP and a subscription, go play WoW. I play both, but if I had to choose one, I'd probably pick GW2. If it wasn't for my WoW history and WoW raiding guild, I'd be playing GW2 right now. With SWTOR being F2P, you could play the storylines there but you will always find linear questing after your initial planet (which is shared with another class) so after level ~10 all 8 classes meet up. In GW2 there seem to be various questing areas. Not sure it is 5, and you can follow whatever one you like barring your personal storyline (which you can also pick largely yourself). If your time is very valuable like one poster said above stay away from MMORPGs or gaming in general. What I also like is that the shop is entirely optional. In WoW I feel forced to get the best out of my sub. I expect to play a lot of GW2 when we have the WoW content on farm. So now, lets say I will get my character to level 80 (which I will at the very least) and lets say I am then totally bored with GW2 (I find it unlikely as I like other races, classes, and PvP, but we will see) was it then a bad buy? No, even then it was still easily worth the money. The countless hours I played in this game are already worth the money. I don't know exactly how much time I spend on it, but say 40 hrs, that'd be say 2 EUR/hour. Cheap.
    Last edited by mmoc41a7fbf474; 2012-11-24 at 03:27 PM.

Deleted
    If you're after longevity & replayability... then no.

GW2 did an ok job of getting you to max level, but its at max level that people just seem to hit a wall of realisation that there really isn't anything to do and never end up logging on again.

I fell for the hype train along with thousands of others

Deleted
    I wonder how many more pages will take people to realize the OP said he'd be buying the game after all on page 2

Arnorei has a point, the Original Poster already said he would buy the game at page 2 and haven't posted ever since. The purpose of this thread has been completed, therefore I'm closing it, if you wish to continue to discuss about the game there are plenty of other topics . Thanks ~Zil

Obs: Funny enough the "Yes" won by 1 vote.