Thread: Demonology AoE

Demonology AoE

I'm having a bit of problems with putting the AoE of a demonology warlock into practical use.

Step 1: I know the theory is to put Corruption on as many targets as possible, keep it up and then Hellfire to build up fury.
    Step 2: Then to switch to demonform, use void ray to keep the corruption up while continueing to cast Hellfire (Immolation aura).

Now where it gets impractical for me is the next part... you come out of demonform because your fury got depleted, so you continue to Hellfire in normal form. Usually by the time your corruptions need refreshed I find myself being at perhaps 400 fury or so, so I go back to step 2.

Should I just spam void ray a few times (how many times) and avoid burning my fury on immolation aura when refreshing the corruption unless i'm at fully fury?

You shouldn't be depleting your fury to 0, you should only be using however much it takes to keep your corruptions up. Doing this should give you plenty of fury to run Immo Aura.

The Lightbringer
    At how many targets will it be better just to spam hellfire over corruption?

Quote Originally Posted by Funkthepunk View Post
    At how many targets will it be better just to spam hellfire over corruption?
    It isn't about how many targets, it is about how long the corruption will tick for. A single corruption will do more damage over the course of its duration then a tick of hellfire will do to 10 targets. Don't forget AoE has a cap, and does the same damage to 11 targets as it does to 10 targets, so corruption out-scales hellfire with more targets, not the other way around. But again, it is all based on how long the AoE is going to last.

Quote Originally Posted by zinnin View Post
    You shouldn't be depleting your fury to 0, you should only be using however much it takes to keep your corruptions up. Doing this should give you plenty of fury to run Immo Aura.
    Hold on. So you're saying that to maximize AoE damage you only use void ray to refresh corruption and at no other time? So no using any other abilities while you're standing there like a lemon with immolation aura?

Don't forget to toss in your awesome purple waves

And Carrion Swarms. Don't glyph it to get extra pleasure in torturing other dps trying to aoe, combining this with making them scratch their heads at your dps output is the ultimate bad-assery.

The Lightbringer
    It isn't about how many targets, it is about how long the corruption will tick for. A single corruption will do more damage over the course of its duration then a tick of hellfire will do to 10 targets. Don't forget AoE has a cap, and does the same damage to 11 targets as it does to 10 targets, so corruption out-scales hellfire with more targets, not the other way around. But again, it is all based on how long the AoE is going to last.
    So would you go as far to say that spamming corruption over hellfire would be a major DPS gain even on a fight like Windlord? And does AoE really cap at 10 targets?

I really appreciate your help btw.

So would you go as far to say that spamming corruption over hellfire would be a major DPS gain even on a fight like Windlord? And does AoE really cap at 10 targets?

After you hit more than 10 targets it does the same overall damage but less damage to each target. Say you are channeling hellfire and it does 110,000 total DPS (just hypothetical numbers). On 10 targets it will do 11,000 damage per tic, but if there are 11 targets it will do 10,000 damage per tic, and that will continue to scale down the more targets there are to hit.

You don't spam Corruption, you put it up, then refresh with your 'natural' aoe in Demo with void raid. From my latest run on normal 10 Wind Lord, Corruption dealt 8,5mln damage (16% overall). Even if you count out boss itself after he gains damage taken debuff, that's ~5mln damage for essentially 6 globals.

Just play Aff on Wind Lord and swim in Soul Shards keeping up all your dots on everything and do more sustained/better boss DPS. That's the best way to AoE as Demonology - go Aff!

But in all srsness...What Zinnin said was what I was going to say - the only other thing that he left out (that's obvious, imo) is to use Hand of Guldan (not chaos wave, DPF isn't high enough to outweigh Immo Aura/Doom spread + ToC spam) and for better Fury gen use a SF/SB when you have your Imp proc available. Minor but still useful.

It does indeed cap at 10 targets, and hes not saying not to cast hellfire but to get corruption up on the targets as priority number 1 then to hellfire and keep the corruptions up by going into meta and using voidray, when you get low on fury drop meta go hellfire back into meta voidray!
    Credit to PaulDok for sig!

A lot of conflicting information in this thread so far.

So fill out the blanks please or correct:

1) Put Corruption on everything
    2) Hellfire
    3) Demonform -> Void ray to keep corruption up.

4) ??? Immolation Aura while using void ray ???
    5) ??? what when all the corruptions are back to max duration -> keep spamming void ray? or leave demonform and spam hellfire again?

On Wind Lord i do this :
    Caster form
    -corruption on everything except the mobs that are cc´ed
    -1 Hand of Guldan charge + the second charge after some seconds before the first shadowflame dot expire
    -Glyph of Carrion Swarms-instant imps to build up fury faster
    -spam Harvest Life - builds up fury + a little heal is always good ( xD )
    Meta form
    -doom on everything
    -Chaos Wave (it does a ton of damage)
    -Void Ray to keep Corruption up
    -Harvest Life

++ Fellstorm on cd in both forms

I don´t use Immo Aura because it consumes my fury very fast and i think 4+ charges of Chaos Wave does more damage/fury than Immo Aura .
    And Hellfire in caster form ... i better get healed by a spell instead of hurting myself .

Maybe this is not the most effective way to hit max dps but it turns out to work pretty well .

Before pull, get aura version of CoE from Demon Form. Precast Shadowbolt for Imp, Corr on everything not cced, HoG, Imps, Service, Dark Soul, HoG, Meta, Void raid twice (some Corr else may drop), put Doom on everything, spam Void raid till oof or Dark Soul is going to fall off. That way you have two stacks of HoG, Corruptions and Dooms all buffed by DS Meta for maximum uptime. Pray for not getting amber patches during all of that.

Later on, you will want to use HoGs, and Hellfire in both stances + Harvest Life in meta, you will be swimming in Fury and collecting huge amount of Molten Core procs for p2.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    Hold on. So you're saying that to maximize AoE damage you only use void ray to refresh corruption and at no other time? So no using any other abilities while you're standing there like a lemon with immolation aura?
    No, if you have Fury to spare you should be using it during procs. If your corruptions are at max duration, cancel meta. Why would you stand there just using immo aura......

Quote Originally Posted by Quae View Post
    -Chaos Wave (it does a ton of damage)

I don´t use Immo Aura because it consumes my fury very fast and i think 4+ charges of Chaos Wave does more damage/fury than Immo Aura .
    It doesn't. Chaos wave has about the same DPCT as 1 Hand of Gul'dan, and less DPCT if you are Using HoG well.

No, if you have Fury to spare you should be using it during procs. If your corruptions are at max duration, cancel meta. Why would you stand there just using immo aura......
    Yeah that's what I meant. I've been absolutely doing AoE DPS the wrong way on my demo lock since MoP.

I used to not care for putting corruption up on multiple targets, just nuking a main target and HoG to build up fury. Then go demonform and use immolation aura while i'd keep on spamming ToC on the main target. Even while doing that I still topped the DPS meters AoE-wise though. I didn't even know we had "void ray" until about a week ago and I saw someone mentioning it on this forum.

There's a severe lack of information on this out there, because I read up a lot, but ... not in the right places perhaps. As this thread shows a lot of people seem convinced that chaos wave is higher DPS than hand of guldan, or other disagreements on the details of demo AoE techniques.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I hope I can show off even higher DPS numbers with it now on windlord. :P

Harvest life is worthless now since hellfire fury gain got buffed. The only time you would use it is when the damage going out on the raid is very high and heavy.

Corruption on every target then keep it up with void ray. Apply Doom to every target with procs and dark soul up. Never use chaos wave, use HoG. HoG provides the same DPCT plus it provides insane fury generation and is not target capped. Hellfire out of meta to build fury to 900, swap to meta and use immo aura + void ray until both charges of HoG are back up. Rinse and repeat.

Essentials are to not let fury cap. Only use immo aura when you're staying in meta, not when you're jumping in to max dots. Try to line up dark souls with high fury. Never use HoG with just one charge and clip it with two seconds left.