Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AstroleonShadowflower View Post
    Since it's still difficult to define, if you play Angry Birds on your phone, or flash games, or whatever, as long as you actually spend some time doing it on a basis, however short, then you can define yourself as someone who plays games. These people, and actual "gamers", and everything in between are one section, and the other, huge section of the population who do NONE of the above are who I'm talking about, with the comparison of "well, everyone watches TV, film, music to extent, can gaming ever get to that?"
    Well you exclude people playing non computer games, some people might find a good old board game as fun as you find a LoL match for example. Your question would be the same as asking if card games ever will be as popular as watching TV, film and music.

And imo, I think it can. Is it becoming more widespread with "casual" gaming, and while I sometimes selfishly sneer at people who play Wii Sports (only when they refer to themselves as "gamers") the fact is they still play games. And for the purpose of this discussion, anyone who plays a game on an electronic device with somewhat regularity counts.
    Over time electronic gaming will grow more and more as older types of games gets converted in to a easy to access electronic format but overall most people already play games, just not the electronic versions of them, something you choose to exclude and then wonder why they don't play what you define as games.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Low IQ. They prefer drugs and rock'n'roll.

it just doesn't appeal to them. It's not like everyone has to like playing games and if they don't it's weird.

I think its only growing. Take my young sister whoes casually playing Moviestar planet. Think hobo or something, but for girls and you can buy a subscription that basicly "wins" the game for you (And it cost as much as wow sub LOL, talk about pricy web browser game). So its about clothes, mini-games, chat etc.

Yesterday I heard on the news that it had growen to 5 M I L L I O N monthly users...wtf`?! I was amased. They said it would alone create up to 150 jobs (Its a danish produced web browers game it seems - didn't even know pretty amasing how even such small games grows so big).
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

i can tell you the answer that my little brother gave me (24 years old, still plays poker on his iphone, but not much else)

He does not want to get addicted. He's afraid of spending too much time and finding it too attractive. When he comes over to my place, he usually tries playing my newest games, but he usually sucks because he has no practice and that frustates him. Also he does not want to spend the time practiving out of fear from addiction.

(he has been smoking weed, still smokes cigs and doesn't like being addicted, but is aware that he is very susceptible to addictions.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Age is a big one, most people that werent brought up on gaming will never give it a serious chance. Almost everyone my age i know (23) male or female games in some way in their free time, i so peronally believe this will change. Maybe by the time the current children are 30 or so most people will be gamers.
    Cost is another big one, a lot of new games cost £40, plus you have to buy the console or spend a ridiculous amount on keeping your pc able to play games on decent settings, most people probably see it as a waste of money.
    Though people differ, while i lived with friends we didnt bother getting a tv license because none of us watched any tv.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dense View Post
    i can tell you the answer that my little brother gave me (24 years old, still plays poker on his iphone, but not much else)

He does not want to get addicted. He's afraid of spending too much time and finding it too attractive. When he comes over to my place, he usually tries playing my newest games, but he usually sucks because he has no practice and that frustates him. Also he does not want to spend the time practiving out of fear from addiction.

(he has been smoking weed, still smokes cigs and doesn't like being addicted, but is aware that he is very susceptible to addictions.)
    Quite an odd reason, didn't really think of addiction. Is it any more addictive than TV though?

10+ Year Old Account
    Because people still think its an addiction, here in Bosnia 9 out of 10 people i meet think you are a complete idiot for playing games and especially think you're stupid when i say i actually buy them

Intel i5 3570k, Gigabyte 7870 OC 2GB AMD RADEON, Kingston Hyperx T1 2x4GB 1600mhz,
    Seasonic 520w M12, Asrock Z77 Pro4, WD 500GB Blue

Deleted
    In my age bracket (around 30) people I know dont play games for a number of reasons:

-They see it as a waste of time and anti social, most people live with friends or are starting a family and spend alot of their leisure time in the sitting room, usually watching tv. You could say tv is a waste of time also (as a gamer I cant stand the mindnumbing crap) but at least it is a shared experience. Most people dont want to monopolise the TV with a console game, or sit alone in another room on their PC for extended periods.

-They dont have PCs that can run anything properly. Most people I know have crappy laptops for emails / word processing, and could only run the most basic of games.

-Its not socially accepted. My generation seems to be the last that wasnt generally raised on decent consoles and having a PC when they were young. Some of us had master systems and NES when we were young, and some had earlier stuff, or amigas / ataris etc, but most people didnt from my experience.

There are other reasons of course, I have a few friends that got so hooked on certain games in past, they flatly refuse to play games no for fear of the time sink. Some other friends of mine work so hard and such long hours they want to spend the few spare hours a week they get with their girlfriends or away from a screen. I guess gaming just isnt for everybody

Forgive me for being a bit abstract for a moment, but I found myself pondering just why certain people arn't into video games.

I look at TV, music, and film, and I think it's fair to say *most/all* people like these 3 mediums of entertainment in some way. Everyone has a music taste, everyone has watched films, and most people partake in some sort of TV show (I don't watch TV much, but I'd be a liar if I said I didn't watch quiz shows while eating dinner.)

Gaming spans different genres, probably the most technological devices (for example, you can play a decent game on your phone, but you can't/won't really convincingly watch a movie. The screen is just too small), a number of different target ages, and anything from casual to hardcore, yet looking at most of my family and many people I know, no type of video game is of any interest to them. Upon asking them, the usual response is just "I dunno, I've never really done it" or "I'm not very good", or even worrying, a "they're for geeks" type answer.

So I ask: in the future, will there be a time when mostly everyone plays SOME kind of game (like everyone has a music taste now) or will it always be too much of a niche thing, and if not, what is stopping millions of people now? Age? Money issues? Stigma? Self imposed barriers?

EDIT: Just to clarify, by "plays games" I do not mean gamer. You don't have to raid on WoW to be a gamer, but in the same respect, if you play Angry Birds every few weeks, you're not a gamer.However, the people I refer to in this are the people who don't play anything, and even Angry Birds would be too scary.

I am a huge music fan. My uncle thinks music is okay occasionally. We both like music on some level, where as I play video games, and he does not at all, in any respect, there being the difference.

EDIT 2: Interesting points, specifically the interactivity and increased cognition. I don't know about anyone else, but I play games because I want to keep my mind active. I always want to be doing something. My Mum, bless her soul, for example, watches TV for the opposite reason, despite her being as intelligent as me.
    I dont often play video games anymore (like I will play a few hours every few months). I like watching people play video games though (thus why I am still into wow, I enjoy watching streams). I keep my mind active with work (Lawyer). When I am home I want to relax. I don't get the high from succeeding in video games that I use to but I tend to get frustrated when I do poorly. As a result, I get no pleasure from multiplayer games and all pain. This is from a past high warlord holy priest who use to be full tier 3 in vanilla. I do sometimes play single player games that have a finite end that can be completed fairly quickly (bastion for example) but I stay away from games that have the potential to becoming addictive. I use to think about wow all the time. It ruined my ability to concentrate in class during college.

---------- Post added 2012-11-24 at 01:03 AM ----------

Quite an odd reason, didn't really think of addiction. Is it any more addictive than TV though?
    Yes. TV can be a time sink in that you enjoy it while you watch it. But it isn't like wow where I felt physically compelled to play it. It is very hard to go through mind numbing medical records for a med mal case when all you are thinking about is how to beat a boss. It is a lot like when you are in love. It is very hard to do boring work when all you want to do is txt/email/call the person.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2012-11-24 at 01:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hiragana View Post
    Age is a big one, most people that werent brought up on gaming will never give it a serious chance. Almost everyone my age i know (23) male or female games in some way in their free time, i so peronally believe this will change. Maybe by the time the current children are 30 or so most people will be gamers.
    Cost is another big one, a lot of new games cost £40, plus you have to buy the console or spend a ridiculous amount on keeping your pc able to play games on decent settings, most people probably see it as a waste of money.
    Though people differ, while i lived with friends we didnt bother getting a tv license because none of us watched any tv.
    Ppl nowdays buy computers for more than just games... work, net browsing, email, and so on.... Its some kind of investment and belive me you save money on things like newspaper, mail , creations of plans for some of your work, less shopping , ... and so on.

But generaly i see ppl 30+ too play games, anything that goes higher is just lower. So far i have too meet a gamer that is 60 years old.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Forgive me for being a bit abstract for a moment, but I found myself pondering just why certain people arn't into video games.

I look at TV, music, and film, and I think it's fair to say *most/all* people like these 3 mediums of entertainment in some way. Everyone has a music taste, everyone has watched films, and most people partake in some sort of TV show (I don't watch TV much, but I'd be a liar if I said I didn't watch quiz shows while eating dinner.)

Gaming spans different genres, probably the most technological devices (for example, you can play a decent game on your phone, but you can't/won't really convincingly watch a movie. The screen is just too small), a number of different target ages, and anything from casual to hardcore, yet looking at most of my family and many people I know, no type of video game is of any interest to them. Upon asking them, the usual response is just "I dunno, I've never really done it" or "I'm not very good", or even worrying, a "they're for geeks" type answer.

So I ask: in the future, will there be a time when mostly everyone plays SOME kind of game (like everyone has a music taste now) or will it always be too much of a niche thing, and if not, what is stopping millions of people now? Age? Money issues? Stigma? Self imposed barriers?

EDIT: Just to clarify, by "plays games" I do not mean gamer. You don't have to raid on WoW to be a gamer, but in the same respect, if you play Angry Birds every few weeks, you're not a gamer.However, the people I refer to in this are the people who don't play anything, and even Angry Birds would be too scary.

I am a huge music fan. My uncle thinks music is okay occasionally. We both like music on some level, where as I play video games, and he does not at all, in any respect, there being the difference.

EDIT 2: Interesting points, specifically the interactivity and increased cognition. I don't know about anyone else, but I play games because I want to keep my mind active. I always want to be doing something. My Mum, bless her soul, for example, watches TV for the opposite reason, despite her being as intelligent as me.
    A huge population of ppl are into video games.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    My dad, who turns 60 next year and was never a video gamer even when we had multiple consoles in the house, won an iPad a few months ago and is now addicted to solitaire.

It's just a cultural/generational shift to a new medium. It happens with every major technological milestone.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

10+ Year Old Account
    Because people still think that playing games is a pointless waste of time, unlike running around on a field in tight pants, tackling sweaty men over an egg shaped ball.
    Putin khuliyo

Well, these days most people DO play games, at least that I've seen. Sure, not talking WoW raiding or all night CoD marathons, but I would say the majority of people at least casually play some sort of game on their phones, or dick around with Facebook games for example, even if they don't own a gaming console or have games on their PC.

As for the question though, the difference between tv/movies/music is that gaming requires more interaction. A person can pop in a movie, or turn on the TV/radio, and that is all that is required of them beyond picking the specific movie/station and adjusting the volume-it's basically mindless, and can even be done while you're doing something else(turn the tv on while you cook dinner, turn on the radio while you drive to work). With gaming, you actually have to do something, you have to continually be clicking, controlling, or otherwise doing something, and in many cases, it requires more concentration or perhaps thinking, at least while you're doing it. It's like reading a book, something a LOT of people NEVER do, outside of mandatory reading for school/work, if that.

Quote Originally Posted by Faesroll View Post
    Actually it is, download a game and launch it when you want to play, how is that any more effort than turning on the TV or picking a song, not every game requires you to be online 2 hours in a row to have fun.

It's probably just the stereotype all gamers are nerds.
    Sitting there hearing and watching the video game really won't do much for most people. It will for music and movies though.

On the other hand there ARE parts of video games that are comparable to television and music: http://lpdc.be/brols/BestReasonToPlayPaladin.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Deleted
    I say it's usually a combination of these:
    -money
    -time
    -old thinking mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Because people still think that playing games is a pointless waste of time, unlike running around on a field in tight pants, tackling sweaty men over an egg shaped ball.
    One of them gets the chicks, the other doesn't.

Deleted
    its a generation gap - people from the 80s and 90s grew up playing video games, getting games consoles for christmas and games for birthdays, being exposed to computers at school, Older people grew up just watching the TV, I would rather sit in an empty room than watch a tv, how can these people live, imagine having to wait for a show to come on, then having to deal with commercials, but i guess they just missed the boat

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    My Mum, bless her soul, for example, watches TV for the opposite reason, despite her being as intelligent as me.
    This rings true indeed. Hobbies (tv/music/film most of all) are for what Norwegians would call 'slappe av', translated as 'to relax', but literally it would translate to something like 'weaken down'. Gaming, be that hardcore or casual, is mentally too intense, or too active, for that. Just like reading a book. Alot of films are too engaging for it as well.

Now it's not as black-and-white as that, people have more active hobbies as well (sports for example). But these usually only take up a few hours per week, with the rest going to easier things like tv. Also, boundaries are different for different people. Some will say that casual gaming isn't too engaging, some will say even casual gaming is too 'easy-going' to spend time on. But I think that the majority of people will like their free time to be spent on 'easy-going' things like tv/music.

OTOH I'm pretty sure that there will be a time when almost everyone plays some sort of games. Be that on their smartphones whilst waiting for a train or something, on sites like kongregate.com, on facebook, or heavier gaming such as WoW, CoD etc. In a few years (20 at most imo) most people will have had enough time to get used to computers/smartphones/the like for it to be 'slappe av' regardless of it being more engaging than just hanging in front of your telly.