Page 1 of 21
1
2
3
11
... LastLast
  1. #1

    CNN interviewed a WalMart exec...

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2167213.html

    So... apparently WalMart has a large majority of employees full-time. Didn't know that.

    Apparently WalMart is one of the better places to work in retail. Didn't know that.

    This is ludicrous and, at least in my area, is DEFINITELY not the case, here's a quote:

    Tovar stood his ground, saying that full-time associates on average make $12.40 per hour, or more than $25,000 per year, about $10,000 more than the poverty-level figure cited by Costello. “We’ve got some of the best jobs in the retail industry and our associates appreciate that,” Tovar said.
    He also said that employees can get health insurance for roughly $17/week. Anyone know if that's true?

    Quarterly bonuses? 82% of eligible employees got the bonus, according to him.

    I especially loved this one:

    Tovar told Costello in the interview that the complaints were coming from a small group of workers and that “the vast majority of our associates like working at Walmart.” The retailer took home $3.63 billion last quarter.

  2. #2
    Scarab Lord Howard Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    4,137
    $25k, wow that's low. Never worked in retail though, so I don't know if that's normal.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

    "This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

  3. #3
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    18,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    $25k, wow that's low. Never worked in retail though, so I don't know if that's normal.
    It's about how much I used to make working at a restaurant. It's a reasonable wage for non-skilled work.

    The Wal-Mart store managers make ridiculous money though.
    Well 1, 2, 3, take my hand and come with me
    Because you look so fine
    And I really wanna make you mine

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    It's about how much I used to make working at a restaurant. It's a reasonable wage for non-skilled work.

    The Wal-Mart store managers make ridiculous money though.
    Really? Any known figures? Don't feel like looking.

  5. #5
    Warchief
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,144
    $25k is a decent livable wage and a reasonable amount for the work being done.

  6. #6
    12$ lol in what state? I call major bullshit. My ex worked at one in Georgia and made like $8 and hour and they worked her like a dog. I know in Louisiana they make at most 9$ if that and the medical must have gotten a lot better because it was shit then.

    Shit if they made 12$ I would give up this rinky dink job I have now to go work there.
    http://raptr.com/puremallace/about

    What has been made by QQ can be unmade by QQ!!!

  7. #7
    Warchief
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,144
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    It's about how much I used to make working at a restaurant. It's a reasonable wage for non-skilled work.

    The Wal-Mart store managers make ridiculous money though.
    Actual store managers, according to Glassdoor.com, range from $73k to $125k with a median of $95k.
    Department managers range from $17k to $50k with a median of $27k.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    12$ lol in what state? I call major bullshit. My ex worked at one in Georgia and made like $8 and hour and they worked her like a dog. I know in Louisiana they make at most 9$ if that and the medical must have gotten a lot better because it was shit then.

    Shit if they made 12$ I would give up this rinky dink job I have now to go work there.
    Seriously, $12 is a lot of money to a lot of people in this country. Hell, almost every McD/BK/Fast food joint employees should instantly goto WalMart. I can guarantee your average fast food employee doesn't make anywhere near $12.

  9. #9
    Scarab Lord slime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    USA PA
    Posts
    4,108
    Yea, Walmart treats their employees great and pays them tons of money and doesn't force work on holidays. Walmart is caring American company, because that is how American companies work - they make sure their employees are happy before they worry about profits. And the big boss can put his need for a fourth porsche aside for the welfare of their employees...
    Last edited by slime; 2012-11-21 at 03:28 PM.

  10. #10
    Sad that people think if you have a job that doesn't allow you to have a pimped out house and car and basically buy whatever your heart desires that you're some kind of victim of corporate greed.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-21 at 03:24 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    Yea, Walmart treats their employees great and pays them tons of money and doesn't force work on holidays. Walmart is caring American company, because that is how American companies work - they make sure their employees are happy before they worry about profits. And the big boss don't care if they want another porsche that's just not as important as that stock person's son needing braces or health care.
    Companies do not exist to make sure their employees are happy, pay for employees' sons' braces, or health care.

    Also, a huge lol @ you coming up with braces as the first example of healthcare companies should pay for

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by slime
    Yea, Walmart treats their employees great and pays them tons of money and doesn't force work on holidays. Walmart is caring American company, because that is how American companies work - they make sure their employees are happy before they worry about profits. And the big boss don't care if they want another porsche that's just not as important as that stock person's son needing braces or health care.
    First, this isn't directed at you as I know your comment was sarcasm, but you know, I'm beginning to wonder if the average american realizes that it's not just WalMart or Target that's open on holidays. Almost any and every big box store is open on holidays. Almost any and every big box store pays shit and the conditions are horrible across them all.

    You don't go into business to worry about if your employees are ok with you buying your porsche. You don't go into business to pay your employees 3x minimum wage. You go into business to make money. Sure you can make a decent profit while still paying your employees a decent wage, but the primary goal is to make money, and hopefully a lot of it.

    People always talk about how these big box stores are horrible chinese selling companies and how you should buy american while they are walking into the exact same stores they are bitching about.

    I also find it hilarious how people say things like:

    "I shop my local electronics store because the quality is so much better." - Do they not realize it's the same chinese products being sold there? How is the quality better?

    People need to realize the reason why people shop at big box stores. The price. Nothing more and nothing less. Why would your average american pay $1 more for something when they can get it for $1 less? It's the opposite of what business is trying to do. They are trying to make money while having the least expense. Consumers are doing nothing more than getting more products for less.

    I once knew a guy who would shop at a local clothing store that sold american made jeans. He paid almost 3x the price of your typical jeans at WalMart or Target, and I can guarantee you that someone who bought 3 jeans at WalMart lasted the same or longer than 1 pair of jeans for 3x the price.

    I totally understand the "buy american" motto, but in the real-world it just doesn't "work". It's as good as "don't shop WalMart on thanksgiving and they won't open thanksgiving ever again" or "let's throw huge protests about wall street and things will change" and we all know so much change happened when people wasted their time doing that, right?
    Last edited by alturic; 2012-11-21 at 03:34 PM.

  12. #12
    Scarab Lord slime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    USA PA
    Posts
    4,108
    Yea, I fixed that - it was the first thing that came to the mind of this single guy - I don't know what kids need, but my first thought of tiny tim's operation seemed a little dramatic :P

    @alturic - oh i know, I will be working tomorrow - but my company gave me the option to, not forced or anything.
    And yea I am sorta sarcastic.

  13. #13
    Epic! Arcanimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Where everything is bitter. Especially me.
    Posts
    1,595
    I work for a 24 hour Walmart in MA. I only make over $10/hr because I work overnights, and have been there for three years. I do NOT have health insurance through Walmart because their "insurance" is just a HSA. In order to get any kind of real coverage you have to pay upwards of $80 per check ($160+, as pay is bi-weekly) and that's for a non-smoker.
    And for the record, last quarter, our store manager got a bonus greater than the combined annual salary of everyone else working in the store (600+) Everyone else didn't get one because the store was "understaffed during peak hours" and because "the shelves were understocked". This is because he decided everyone needed to work 8 hours per week less, and get the same amount of work done. Yeah. Figure that one out.
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *bro fist*
    Main - Useful PvP Items - Hunter Pet Spreadsheet - Music and Stuff

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    Yea, I fixed that - it was the first thing that came to the mind of this single guy - I don't know what kids need, but my first thought of tiny tim's operation seemed a little dramatic :P

    @alturic - oh i know, I will be working tomorrow - but my company gave me the option to, not forced or anything.
    And yea I am sorta sarcastic.
    Do you work in retail?

    Either way, you know if you said "no", in a majority of situations you would be given shit over it for a while as sad as that is.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-21 at 10:39 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcanimus View Post
    I work for a 24 hour Walmart in MA. I only make over $10/hr because I work overnights, and have been there for three years. I do NOT have health insurance through Walmart because their "insurance" is just a HSA. In order to get any kind of real coverage you have to pay upwards of $80 per check ($160+, as pay is bi-weekly) and that's for a non-smoker.
    And for the record, last quarter, our store manager got a bonus greater than the combined annual salary of everyone else working in the store (600+) Everyone else didn't get one because the store was "understaffed during peak hours" and because "the shelves were understocked". This is because he decided everyone needed to work 8 hours per week less, and get the same amount of work done. Yeah. Figure that one out.
    I think you might be confusing your math. If you had 600 employees all working 25 hours a week for $5/hr that would mean the manager got a bonus of something like 3+ million? :P

    Yea, the way stores do bonuses is completely fucked up, taking things employees have no direct control over and using that as a metric.

    Hell, when I worked for DirecTV (well, a subcontractor since DTV doesn't employ any actual techs), our bonus was based on a bunch of metrics such as "installs completed" and "amount of receivers hooked up to phones", things that I personally had zero direct control over.

    So you wouldn't get bonuses if X amount of customers rescheduled (for any reason) or X amount of receivers didn't get a phone line to them (customers just moved in and had no phone service or they had cellphone only, etc)

    Don't get me wrong, the pay was decent for the area ($15/hour, which is what I start all my employees at) but still.
    Last edited by alturic; 2012-11-21 at 03:46 PM.

  15. #15
    Epic! Arcanimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Where everything is bitter. Especially me.
    Posts
    1,595
    Except not all of them were working the entire year, nor did most of them have more than 16 hrs as part time or 30 as full time. Until people started taking my advice, around 70% of the store's workforce was eligible for partial unemployment. His bonus was something like 1.6m.
    Hell, some people don't even work for an entire shift. I saw a guy clock in, work for 30 mins, clock out and quit. I mean granted, it was the middle of the summer and he was unloading the trucks (Think of 102 degrees outside, no A/C, now put yourself in a metal trailer with broken open dog food, laundry detergent, and assorted automotive fluids, mix, and subtract heavily from your life span) All for $7 and change an hour.
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *bro fist*
    Main - Useful PvP Items - Hunter Pet Spreadsheet - Music and Stuff

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcanimus View Post
    Except not all of them were working the entire year, nor did most of them have more than 16 hrs as part time or 30 as full time. Until people started taking my advice, around 70% of the store's workforce was eligible for partial unemployment. His bonus was something like 1.6m.
    Hell, some people don't even work for an entire shift. I saw a guy clock in, work for 30 mins, clock out and quit. I mean granted, it was the middle of the summer and he was unloading the trucks (Think of 102 degrees outside, no A/C, now put yourself in a metal trailer with broken open dog food, laundry detergent, and assorted automotive fluids, mix, and subtract heavily from your life span) All for $7 and change an hour.
    WOW! I really need to look into that. $1.6/m bonus for a store manager? Jesus christ.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcanimus View Post
    And for the record, last quarter, our store manager got a bonus greater than the combined annual salary of everyone else working in the store (600+) Everyone else didn't get one because the store was "understaffed during peak hours" and because "the shelves were understocked". This is because he decided everyone needed to work 8 hours per week less, and get the same amount of work done. Yeah. Figure that one out.
    First problem, math. Assuming $8/hr and 32hr/week (a bit high here) 600x$13,000 = $7.9 million. As that's not financially possible, I have to call bull.

    Second problem, organization. Assistant and store managers at Walmart are given annual bonuses only, they don't get quarterly ones.

    So either your store's gossip is way out of line or this is being made up whole cloth.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Sencho View Post
    First problem, math. Assuming $8/hr and 32hr/week (a bit high here) 600x$13,000 = $7.9 million. As that's not financially possible, I have to call bull.

    Second problem, organization. Assistant and store managers at Walmart are given annual bonuses only, they don't get quarterly ones.

    So either your store's gossip is way out of line or this is being made up whole cloth.
    I'm thinking it's that because people tend to not talk about how much they make, so unless it's publicly available information, you know it's gossip.

  19. #19
    Not sure of the rate

    But if I get into the field of work I want after my education, I'll be on the minimal wage of £6.05 or something for a good few years, so 12 dollars a hour doesnt sound to bad for a supermarket or convenience store w/e it is

  20. #20
    I am Murloc! SirRobin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Counciltucky
    Posts
    5,991
    Well i worked at a Wal-Mart for a year and the first thing to understand is that management lies... a lot. Well maybe not lie exactly. Maybe more like having a relatively different way of deciding what is, and what isn't, the "truth." So what they think actually "qualifies" to be counted in their claims may have little relation with what most would think should count.

    As I said, worked at one for a year and have never had the desire to even enter the parking lot, let alone doors, of one since. I may be poor and Wal-Mart may be cheap, but some things are not worth the rest of the real "price" involved.
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2012-11-21 at 04:07 PM.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •