Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Movies] Trailers giving away to much these days?

So I'm off tomorrow to see twilight breaking dawn part 2, with a female friend, we were having this debate tonight that movie trailers give away far to much compared to what they used, for example

Twilight Breaking Dawn part 2 one of the firsttrailers (no give aways);

One of the latest trailers (spoiler...);

To me that second trailer is well over the top,

This is what I'd call a ideal trailer:

Make you want to watch it, lets you know its a "remake" gives nothing away

What do you guys think
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I kind of felt that with Prometheus. Then I started to get sucked into sites that were stitching together the trailers and unraveling the plot/scenes before the movie was even released. I haven't seen trailers for Hobbit yet partially because of that. I just want to be totally surprised.

15+ Year Old Account
    Action movies are the worst because you see all the action scenes and then you're not surprised by them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't watch any trailers of movies I'm actually interested in seeing. Naturally I see them once which sparks the interest, but I typically won't remember what happens in said trailers if I only see them once. Once I've decided to see a movie, I won't read or listen to anything about it so I come in with as blank of a slate as I can. If it's a trailer of another installment in a series I already enjoy (LotR, Batman, etc), I won't watch the trailer even once.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    Action movies are the worst because you see all the action scenes and then you're not surprised by them.
    Pretty much this....

An action movie trailer will have a lot of spoilers, because they want to attract you, so they put in there the fights, and the most awesome parts are the fights, supposedly, and if you see that in the spoilers, well, let's just say it's not as good as you thought when you watch it.

I think some genres of movies contain a lot of spoilers in the trailer, some don't, but I don't really mind as much. I have yet to see a movie that was totally ruined because I watched the trailer, still. Hm, meh, I think it's kinda fine.

Deleted
    there are some people, a problem happens, the problem is resolved, end of movie - there Ive ruined movies for you forever

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah they are, i used to love 30 second trailers, gave you a slight taster, now they're like 2 mins + long and i've seen so many 'funny' films where all the funny parts were shown in the trailer :/

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    So I'm off tomorrow to see twilight breaking dawn part 2, with a female friend, we were having this debate tonight that movie trailers give away far to much compared to what they used, for example

Twilight Breaking Dawn part 2 one of the firsttrailers (no give aways);

One of the latest trailers (spoiler...);

To me that second trailer is well over the top,

This is what I'd call a ideal trailer:

Make you want to watch it, lets you know its a "remake" gives nothing away

What do you guys think
    I'd say skip it and watch this instead. A much better love story than Twilight:

They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

Some do and some don't. A trailer done right doesn't give much away and still makes you want to see the movie. Short and attention grabbing works best. Funny movies that suck tend to give it all away in a trailer to sucker you in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes! Oh my god yes, a thousand times yes! I went to see a movie last night, but I could tell you the plot of 9 different movies I've never seen because they show the entire fucking movie IN THE TRAILER!

Comedies are worse than action movies, they put all the good scenes in the trailer and when you watch the movie they arent even funny since you know them

15+ Year Old Account
    Funny you mention twilight and movie trailers. There's a Cracked article where the writer tries to guess how each movie goes based on only seeing the trailer. http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-twilig...snt-seen-them/

I wish there was a rule that prevented including scenes or dialogue from farther than 30 minutes into the movie. It might sound a little stifling, but if you can't sell a movie from 3 scattered minutes of the first half/quarter, then it's probably a crappy movie anyway.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Comedies are worse than action movies, they put all the good scenes in the trailer and when you watch the movie they arent even funny since you know them
    From a business point of view it must be pretty hard to sell a comedy without giving away some of the best gags (or the only) in a trailer.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don’t watch trailers anymore. Mostly because I want to be surprised by what the film has to offer, and not have high expectations. I have found that many of the movies I enjoyed the most this year were indie movies I didn’t know much about.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    That might have been why the Avengers was so well liked, its trailer didn't show a glimpse of every fight scene in the movie. Just a few (and not even the highlights)

But overall I don't think trailers give away to much.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    That might have been why the Avengers was so well liked, its trailer didn't show a glimpse of every fight scene in the movie. Just a few (and not even the highlights)
    Was the really necessary though? I felt that the action scenes were the lower points of the film tbh.

I 100% agree. Take Kick-Ass for example as it's been out long enough that I don't think I'm spoiling anything. In the trailers they pretty much showed clips from every major action scene not to mention a good deal of the final action sequence like when hit-girl goes down the hall. Skyfall and to a point Life Of Pi also had similar problems. I wouldn't say it ruined the films but it does take away from it. Even if I go out of my way to aviod the trailers sometimes they are unavoidable like yesterday during Life Of Pi another Hobbit trailer was shown in front of it.

If I was a studio I would craft my trailer from only the first 30 to 60 minutes of the film at the most. The last hour would be off limits. Some of the best trailers are when after seeing the film you realize parts of the trailer weren't even shown.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy88 View Post
    I 100% agree. Take Kick-Ass for example as it's been out long enough that I don't think I'm spoiling anything. In the trailers they pretty much showed clips from every major action scene not to mention a good deal of the final action sequence like when hit-girl goes down the hall. Skyfall and to a point Life Of Pi also had similar problems. I wouldn't say it ruined the films but it does take away from it. Even if I go out of my way to aviod the trailers sometimes they are unavoidable like yesterday during Life Of Pi another Hobbit trailer was shown in front of it.

If I was a studio I would craft my trailer from only the first 30 to 60 minutes of the film at the most. The last hour would be off limits. Some of the best trailers are when after seeing the film you realize parts of the trailer weren't even shown.
    A big problem with this is sometimes there are drastic tone shifts making you wonder if the movie is what you saw in the trailer.

Take Brave for example, it did a good job of showcasing the beginning of the movie which you would assume show the premise (however it did show most of the early parts so that made them although the best part of the movie more boring to watch), and then it goes into the part not seen in the trailer, and you think 'What just happened to this movie?'. I expected an epic journey similar to what I would have gotten from similar movies like Finding Nemo or the Wizard of Oz, that's how it was setup and that's what the trailer promised, and in the end you get a mother daughter bonding movie that throws a lot of low humor jokes and a random forced point in the end that didn't fit with the movie..

An example of a really effective trailer, .

It didn't give out (or nearly close to all) the comedic jokes and gags, in fact it gave out a couple of the worst ones, set you up with what the movie was about and didn't really give you anything about the plot other than what you learn in the first five or so minutes during the movie.

Haven't seen Brave but I have heard that about the movie. I would say Brave is unique where it does have a tone shift half way through. Most movies don't have that though. You could go into most movie without seeing any trailers but still have a good idea of what's about to happen. Still it made $236 million good for #5 (soon to be #7) on the top movies of the year so maybe they knew what they were doing with their trailers.

Deleted
    Trailers back in the day used to show every single plot line to sell the movie. Trailers today are better.