Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[GW2] Amazon Editor Picks - Best of 2012 Top 20 Video Games

Amazon's Editor's Picks for the Top 20 Video Games of 2012

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=vg_Home_...pf_rd_i=468642
    Valar morghulis

Journey and Xcom are both really great games. Though it seems shortsighted/uninformed of them to leave off Torchlight 2. TL2 is a nearly flawless game in terms of gameplay. There isn't an element in TL2 I can find that is inharmonious with the design. Whereas something like Max Payne 3 is littered with design flaws, rule contradictions and so on.

Not too upset though. These lists are more for entertainment regardless of source.

Edit: Journey is really marvelous though. Yea.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Journey and Xcom are both really great games. Though it seems shortsighted/uninformed of them to leave off Torchlight 2. TL2 is a nearly flawless game in terms of gameplay. There isn't an element in TL2 I can find that is inharmonious with the design. Whereas something like Max Payne 3 is littered with design flaws, rule contradictions and so on.

Not too upset though. These lists are more for entertainment regardless of source.

Edit: Journey is really marvelous though. Yea.
    The graphics for journey are amazing, wish I had a ps3 . Though kinda suprise the last story and diablo 3 beat out gw2. Gw2 is good and it isn't all that but yea...

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    The graphics for journey are amazing, wish I had a ps3 . Though kinda suprise the last story and diablo 3 beat out gw2. Gw2 is good and it isn't all that but yea...
    D3's gameplay is really superb though. Not particularly ground breaking or a jump above D2. But you can say that about a lot of games to be honest. Incld. Torchlight 2.

And at the end of the day, execution is the true grail of masterful design. In that regard, Blizzard have yet to not nail the design and execution of their games 10/10.

Now I don't like all of Blizzard's games or the direction their games went in over the last few years. D2 possibly being my favorite game of all, D3 is a sore spot for me. I won't ever say with intellectual honesty that Blizzard are not among the finest developers this medium has ever known.

The reaction of using Chaos Orb, Leap Slam or the thunk of a Demon Hunter's arrow? Masterful.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-11-23 at 11:57 PM.

D3's problem is not really the gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    This. Balancing is a strong point blizzard doesn't seem to get and come up with gimmicky ways to make skills viable that's not really necessary to go to such extent and some changes are down right stupid (DH turret chains got a damage buff but it's range was the main problem. It was literally not even an inch in range it was so useless and they just buff it's damage.)

The story is awful. Ton's of holes, disjointed.

This.
    Correct, gentlemen.

But I remind you; gameplay is the only thing that matters w/r/t video games.

There is nothing to consider above gameplay.

Also, story is not gameplay.

Correct, gentlemen.

But I remind you; gameplay is the only thing that matters w/r/t video games.

There is nothing to consider above gameplay.

Also, story is not gameplay.
    True but they put it on heavy with diablo 3 which backfired.

Also never heard of torchlight 2. It just released back in september? I went under my radar.

True but they put it on heavy with diablo 3 which backfired.
    Put what on heavy? I lost you.

Also never heard of torchlight 2. It just released back in september? I went under my radar.
    A shame. I do not think TL2 went under the radar for hardcore gamers. It had a lot of buzz, videos, press, lets plays, streams and so on.

It's def. not super bowl advertising [Blizzard]. But for followers of gaming news and releases TL2 was well represented. So much so that other indie devs were a bit miffed that Tl2 was getting so much press.

The first Torchlight is well loved as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Put what on heavy? I lost you.
    I think he/she is referring to the story. He/she believes Blizzard really put the story in your face and tried to make it a big part of D3, but the story wasn't very compelling and has a lot of inconsistencies. I strongly agree with this statement. Diablo games never had the most incredible storylines, but this one is easily the weakest of the 3. The first 2 were pretty exciting for me at the age I was when they released (I think I was 13 when D1 came out), and I still enjoy them from a nostalgic perspective.

Ah, my bad. It makes sense now. Okay.

Story still isn't gameplay. Has no consideration in the quality of gameplay.

Fun story: I saw all the cut scenes on YT like a week before launch of D3. I have never watched or listened to the cut scenes in D3 actual till this day.

Gameplay.
    Gameplay.
    Gameplay.

;p

10+ Year Old Account
    Story still isn't gameplay. Has no consideration in the quality of gameplay.
    This is true. I've played plenty of games with lousy or nonexistent stories because the game itself was a hell of a lot of fun. On the other hand, there are some games that have great stories that I just won't continue playing because the gameplay sucks.

I'm a sucker for a great story in a video game, and in this era developers are able to make stories really immersive and memorable, but gameplay is still king. If it's isn't fun and intuitive, who cares about the story?
    Last edited by thewallofsleep; 2012-11-24 at 02:13 PM. Reason: typo

Oh yea, totally. Story is def. an enjoyable aspect of gaming and can contribute a lot to one's appreciation of the game. That gameplay though.

Heck, that's part of principle problem of Secret World and TOR. Great story presentation. Gameplay really lacking. That's even relative to GW2 where I felt the story [& presentation] were awful but would say GW2 wipes the floor with both TOR and TSW in actual gameplay.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-11-24 at 02:32 AM.

well diablo 3 is nominated as one of the best games of 2012 for this contest which nullifies the whole thing
    Photo Website: http://www.jeremynative.com Please check out

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh yea, totally. Story is def. an enjoyable aspect of gaming and can contribute a lot to one's appreciation of the game. That gameplay though.
    That's the thing about Tera, I thought the gameplay was awesome. I wasn't really thrilled with the UI and thought the way quests were chained was a little confusing, but the combat and the dodging is a blast, and definitely better than GW2. The problem? I couldn't wrap my head around the art style and the story was nonexistent. If it was F2P I'd still be playing it. I am admittedly a very western focused gamer and prefer my fantasy to be of the medieval/European tradition. Everything from the ultra pretty Asian style faces, to the giant breasts, to the skimpy armor, to the stock Asian RPG looking mobs (not really the bams, just the typical mobs), pretty much turned me off. GW2 is far more digestible in this capacity.
    Last edited by thewallofsleep; 2012-11-24 at 02:59 PM. Reason: clarity

15+ Year Old Account
    Need for Speed? ><

Quote Originally Posted by calmsea View Post
    That's the thing about Tera, I thought the gameplay was awesome. I wasn't really thrilled with the UI and thought the way quests were chained was a little confusing, but the combat and the dodging is a blast, and definitely better than GW2. The problem? I couldn't wrap my head around the art style and the story was nonexistent. If it was F2P I'd still be playing it. I am admittedly a very western focused gamer and prefer my fantasy to be of the medieval/European tradition. Everything from the ultra pretty Asian style faces, to the giant breasts, to the skimpy armor, to the stock Asian RPG looking mobs (not really the bams, just the typical mobs), pretty much turned me off. GW2 is far more digestible in this capacity.
    The only thing I didn't like about Tera was the repetition of the combat. It was very fun combat, and I enjoyed it much more than GW2's combat. But it had the same problem as Guild Wars 2-- it's all fighting all the time, in almost the exact same patterns for 50/80 levels. Just too shallow.

I GREATLY enjoy Tera's art style, UI, controls and presentation. So I do plan on going back for 3 more months sometime in the summer. I liked EME as well.

...What? Need for Speed? Apart from amazing graphics that game is so bad. Gameplay is awful and the game feels like the most boring shit ever created if you play it alone and not with you friends. Worst part of the game is that they copied the name of one of the best NfS games ever made.

Hey guys. It's been a while . Anyways just passing by to ask you all to remain at Guild Wars 2 topic, in this case by achieving the top20. Thanks!~Zil

Well, the only 3 games on that list that are not available on console are Hotline Miami, D3 and GW2.