Is the power supply in my list good enough for my setup?

By getting a cheaper PSU, I was able to upgrade to a 7870. The power supply comes with 1x6 and 1x6+2 pins, and I assume you can use the 6+2 pin as a 6 pin. What I'm curious about is if the 530W is enough. In the system requirement page, the 7870 needs minimum of 500, which I have, but I don't know how/if that takes into account TDP or what. Assuming this build is compatible, I'm gonna go and buy the last three parts I need (the PSU, GPU, and mobo).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3225 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($136.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock B75M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($61.97 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($194.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Raidmax 530W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($38.92 @ Amazon)
    Total: $612.84
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-23 17:44 EST-0500)

Quote Originally Posted by momirmaster View Post
    Although I believe that We never killed osama and OBAMA just used it as propaganda to win a election cause Osama's was probably dead for years I Usually am not gullible.

Deleted
    If i was you i would drop down even further to something like an Antec Earth Watts 380w, It will be more than enough and is 80+ Bronze rated with pretty good reviews.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    yes, but try to get a better cpu.. I'd even go down to a 7850 to get a i5 2500k/3570k at least..

Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    yes, but try to get a better cpu.. I'd even go down to a 7850 to get a i5 2500k/3570k at least..
    The price on the CPU is wrong, I got it for like, $65. Which is why I can upgrade from the GTX 650 Ti to the 7870 in the first place.

I've already bought the RAM, case, CPU, HDD, and OS. All that's left are the mobo, GPU, and PSU.
    Last edited by MCMXCIX; 2012-11-23 at 10:55 PM.

Although I believe that We never killed osama and OBAMA just used it as propaganda to win a election cause Osama's was probably dead for years I Usually am not gullible.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MCMXCIX View Post
    The price on the CPU is wrong, I got it for like, $65. Which is why I can upgrade from the GTX 650 Ti to the 7870 in the first place.
    Oh then I undestand. What's your budget - where do you live? Can try to find one for you. It's not that the i3 is bad by any means but the improvement is better

Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    Oh then I undestand. What's your budget - where do you live? Can try to find one for you. It's not that the i3 is bad by any means but the improvement is better
    USA, CA specifically. My budget for those three parts is $333. That's a hard cap (because it's all I have and I don't know when I'll be able to get a new job), so it has to be $333 before rebate but after taxes (I get free shipping from Amazon and Newegg).

With that budget, I thought I found the best bang for my buck with the aforementioned parts.

Old power supplies are never as efficient as new ones. If you skimp on the power supply, then long term you will more than likely regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonk View Post
    Old power supplies are never as efficient as new ones. If you skimp on the power supply, then long term you will more than likely regret it.
    That's what I was thinking. I thought getting a 380W would be way too risky.

That's what I was thinking. I thought getting a 380W would be way too risky.
    Raidmax is not on the list so its not recommended. http://www.overclock.net/t/183810/fa...power-supplies

The handy dandy PSU calc puts your system at 300W. http://www.overclock.net/t/1045231/p...psu-calculator

The Antec 380W is a recommended PSU.

Maybe consider the CX 430: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139026 its $36 with a $20 MIR.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Raidmax is not on the list so its not recommended. http://www.overclock.net/t/183810/fa...power-supplies

The handy dandy PSU calc puts your system at 300W. http://www.overclock.net/t/1045231/p...psu-calculator

The Antec 380W is a recommended PSU.

Maybe consider the CX 430: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139026 its $36 with a $20 MIR.
    The specifications of the HD 7870 say a 500 W PSU is required, but I've also read that what's more important is the combined 12v amperage. The one you listed not only has a lower wattage, but lower amperage as well. How is it better than my current one?

The specifications of the HD 7870 say a 500 W PSU is required, but I've also read that what's more important is the combined 12v amperage. The one you listed not only has a lower wattage, but lower amperage as well. How is it better than my current one?
    Because the CX 430 is Corsair and on the recommended PSU list. There is no standard method to rate PSU specs. As a result, companies can write whatever they want. Frequently, manufacturers put 'peak' amperage/wattage on their specs where as what we're looking for is continuous amperage/wattage. To give a 'rule of thumb' that works even with this spec sandbagging, graphics card companies put a higher wattage requirement in their specs.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Because the CX 430 is Corsair and on the recommended PSU list. There is no standard method to rate PSU specs. As a result, companies can write whatever they want. Frequently, manufacturers put 'peak' amperage/wattage on their specs where as what we're looking for is continuous amperage/wattage. To give a 'rule of thumb' that works even with this spec sandbagging, graphics card companies put a higher wattage requirement in their specs.
    Hmm. Alright. I checked the list, and instead got http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817553009. It's on the list, it has more wattage, and it also has more connections.

Actually it isn't, the SE version is, which is discontinued..
    Last edited by MCMXCIX; 2012-11-24 at 12:44 AM.