View Poll Results: Should mob tagging be removed?

Voters
242. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    76 31.40%
  • No

    86 35.54%
  • It should be changed, but not fully removed

    80 33.06%

Thread: Mob tagging

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
4
5
6
7
LastLast
  1. #101
    Field Marshal Wheater's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    53
    It seems as though they tried to change it with the "Quest Mobs" that anyone can help kill and if you hit it you get credit for. I only noticed them for the first time in mist (perhaps they've been around longer...). The only problem I had with it was that some people would hit the mob with a single spell and take back off to the quest turn in forcing me to kill the mob while they still get credit.

  2. #102
    Bloodsail Admiral orangelemonrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,249
    Depends on the mob imo. Quest mobs if you are both on the same quest should be taggable by anyone, if you arent on the same quest its individual.

  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    I agree with you that lazy people can ruin a group experience such as a raid but this is about killing a few mobs. Imagine you fly to the daily quest zone only to find that a tank has pulled 7 or 8 mobs and he is slowly killing them, at present your only options are to wait for a respawn (which he'll probably tag) or try to find mobs elsewhere. If mob tagging was removed you could help the tank kill all the mobs, you would both complete your quests quicker than you could solo.
    Imagine you're the tank, you've pulled everything when no one was around and now this DPS comes up throws up a single arcane explosion, multi-shot, whatever. He now runs off leaving you to finish off the mobs while he just snipes tags from other people doing a second quest.

  4. #104
    WoW has been designed around being able to tag a common mob to yourself. Changing this would especially require a look into the looting system. Would it still only be the first person attacking receiving loot or would the solution be something completely different? Questing mechanics are also a small question mark, along with which mobs would be affected by this.

    It is also worth considering whether a change would be necessary and beneficial in the first place.

  5. #105
    I believe mob tagging should affect loot only, but not quests. anyone who hit a quest mob should get credit for the quest, regardless of tagging.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

  6. #106
    I feel this is one of those issues that sounds amazing in principle, but in reality fr a game like WoW doesn't work.
    GW2 was designed with multi-player co-op and loot/xp not mattering from the ground up, the game is designed that way. WoW isn't. You would have bots scripted to auto-follow any player that comes within range and attack same target just to get loot, and even if the loot doesn't drop, get XP/Gold/Quest tag (bots just aren't for gold farming, but for levelling also, remember?). The playerbase would be so fooked off within a couple of months, there would be outcry on the forums and a request to go back to the old system.
    Sure, its outdated, but it *is* there for a reason. Also, how do you decide who gets the lion's share of the kill? You can't give both players equal share of say, rare loot, otherwise rares become pointless and people just will group up and farm them. You can't give the bigger share to the player who did the most damage, as otherwise people would grief lowbies/other players by flying around and multi-tagging mobs just to get the extra loot. It would be a cluster fuck of humungous proportions.
    Blizz have done the right thing by making quest mobs multi-tag, but there isn't much other options considering WoWs playerbase size and system to my mind.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-25 at 12:20 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    I believe mob tagging should affect loot only, but not quests. anyone who hit a quest mob should get credit for the quest, regardless of tagging.
    Would still cause havoc with bots and whatnot whilst questing. Or even less scrupulous players just hitting a mob form afar and letting you do the kill, so they can power through quests.

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    Would still cause havoc with bots and whatnot whilst questing. Or even less scrupulous players just hitting a mob form afar and letting you do the kill, so they can power through quests.
    a game must never be designed around the premise that people will be botting.

    besides, that way it would only get credit in quests. it's not like bots can just inteligently go back to the quest hubs and get more quests. they'd get a couple of quests done and than they'd just help you with your quests, because loot and XP is still on the tag (according to my suggestion) lol

    not to mention that a bot autofollowing you and attacking all you attack is the easiest to discover and report.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

  8. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    a game must never be designed around the premise that people will be botting.

    besides, that way it would only get credit in quests. it's not like bots can just inteligently go back to the quest hubs and get more quests. they'd get a couple of quests done and than they'd just help you with your quests, because loot and XP is still on the tag (according to my suggestion) lol

    not to mention that a bot autofollowing you and attacking all you attack is the easiest to discover and report.
    Where did I say *anywhere* that WoW was designed around botting?
    No where. I am explaining why such *solutions* would not work f they added them in. Players would use it to gain unfair advantage over others by tagging mobs for a kill then letting another do so, the botting thing is just an unfortunate circumstance.
    Also, this kind of mentality has been in MMOs since Day One, from UO and EQ days, hence why Mob tagging was actually put into place in the first place. Some games had a "Whoever does most damage gets the kill", so let's see that implemented into WoW as well, eh? It wouldn't lead to 90s griefing others, no sirree...

    Long story short, its not the best system, but Mob Tagging works for WoW.

  9. #109
    I am Murloc! Granyala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arkon-III
    Posts
    5,556
    Imagine you're the tank, you've pulled everything when no one was around and now this DPS comes up throws up a single arcane explosion, multi-shot, whatever. He now runs off leaving you to finish off the mobs while he just snipes tags from other people doing a second quest.
    I don't see the problem.
    - If the player hadn't thrown in an AE you'd have to finish the mobs on your own and get all the loot.
    - If he has, you still have to finish on your own and still get all the loot.

    All I see is you going: "waah, waah he doesn't deserve quest credit.." seems more like an entitlement issue to me, not a gameplay issue.

    BTW: In reality, if a player wants to finish FAST he will stay and bomb the crap out of your pack. At least that's what I experienced in GW2. It was VERY rare that s/o just poked and ran off b/c then he has to wait and stay in range until I kill the mob.

    Ifalna Sha'yoko on Twitter and Armory - Occasionally unfaithful to WoW with my Wizard- (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━ ┻

  10. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I don't see the problem.
    - If the player hadn't thrown in an AE you'd have to finish the mobs on your own and get all the loot.
    - If he has, you still have to finish on your own and still get all the loot.

    All I see is you going: "waah, waah he doesn't deserve quest credit.." seems more like an entitlement issue to me, not a gameplay issue.

    BTW: In reality, if a player wants to finish FAST he will stay and bomb the crap out of your pack. At least that's what I experienced in GW2. It was VERY rare that s/o just poked and ran off b/c then he has to wait and stay in range until I kill the mob.
    actually with the shared tag system in use the person who did one hit if they are near when the mob(s) hit the ground actually has the full ability to loot so they could do one hit and just loot everything before you, had this happen a few times with melee since I play ranged. so it comes back to do none of the work get all of the reward.

  11. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    actually with the shared tag system in use the person who did one hit if they are near when the mob(s) hit the ground actually has the full ability to loot so they could do one hit and just loot everything before you, had this happen a few times with melee since I play ranged. so it comes back to do none of the work get all of the reward.
    The chance of missing out on a grey worth 17 silver would easily be offset by the amount time saved a shared tag system would bring.

  12. #112
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    The chance of missing out on a grey worth 17 silver would easily be offset by the amount time saved a shared tag system would bring.
    not when they are turning up as the mob is about to die and putting one hit on it, also it's not always a grey, often get greens and other stuff. but the fact still stands why should someone who does one hit or a minute amount of the damage to a mob be entitled to anything from it?

  13. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I don't see the problem.
    - If the player hadn't thrown in an AE you'd have to finish the mobs on your own and get all the loot.
    - If he has, you still have to finish on your own and still get all the loot.

    All I see is you going: "waah, waah he doesn't deserve quest credit.." seems more like an entitlement issue to me, not a gameplay issue.
    You see that because you want any reason to discredit the viewpoint of anyone who disagrees with you. Is it so hard to understand that the majority, in this thread at least, has a different opinion than you?

  14. #114
    Quote Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    not when they are turning up as the mob is about to die and putting one hit on it, also it's not always a grey, often get greens and other stuff. but the fact still stands why should someone who does one hit or a minute amount of the damage to a mob be entitled to anything from it?
    I'm sure it would be easy to implement a system that only allows the person that originally tagged to loot anything uncommon or better. So what if someone gets credit for their quest by hitting the mob once just before it dies? How does that negatively impact your game play?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    You see that because you want any reason to discredit the viewpoint of anyone who disagrees with you. Is it so hard to understand that the majority, in this thread at least, has a different opinion than you?
    Except that the poll at the top of page shows only 37% of the voters want the current system to remain in place, so I think you'll find that it is your viewpoint that is minority.

  15. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    If I'm doing a quest in an area I don't want someone coming in and casting one spell on my mobs as well every mob anyone else is fighting to get credit for essentially doing nothing.
    You really need to play Guild Wars 2.

    I never once went, "Oh GAWD he got credit for that kill!" because that is a juvenile way of looking at things. I've also had plenty of experiences where my bacon was saved thanks to the efforts of a passerby--he was rewarded for it, just as I was. Unification and a willingness to work together developed much more organically because the system didn't essentially punish you for working with others. The idea that someone else also got credit for "your kill" is childish, WHO CARES!? That's like complaining everyone got a piece of cake even though you cut the first slice.

    Ugh, the fact that this is a reoccurring theme among a good portion of the WoW populace disappoints me greatly. It shows that the game has done too good of a job of pitting people against one another rather than further encouraging social interaction and teamwork. It explains how come I've died so many times due to a bad pull even though I had other players watching the entire thing play out without offering a hand.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-25 at 01:05 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Wheater View Post
    It seems as though they tried to change it with the "Quest Mobs" that anyone can help kill and if you hit it you get credit for. I only noticed them for the first time in mist (perhaps they've been around longer...). The only problem I had with it was that some people would hit the mob with a single spell and take back off to the quest turn in forcing me to kill the mob while they still get credit.
    A certain percentile of damage done might help with that.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-25 at 01:06 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    Imagine you're the tank, you've pulled everything when no one was around and now this DPS comes up throws up a single arcane explosion, multi-shot, whatever. He now runs off leaving you to finish off the mobs while he just snipes tags from other people doing a second quest.
    So? I don't see the negative. Quests get done quicker, everyone wins.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-25 at 01:08 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    not when they are turning up as the mob is about to die and putting one hit on it, also it's not always a grey, often get greens and other stuff. but the fact still stands why should someone who does one hit or a minute amount of the damage to a mob be entitled to anything from it?
    It's a random roll system. I don't see the relevance. Who cares if they got a better item? You wouldn't have gotten it anyway. All the excuses against a non-tagging system seem to stem from VERY selfish behavior. I believe you lot need to carefully reconsider why your stated arguments are so important that they outweigh the benefits.
    Last edited by Kelliak; 2012-11-25 at 07:09 PM.

  16. #116
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    282
    It's not going to fix anything, people will just ride on others. Someone tagged a mob? Slap it with an insta spell and move on! PROFIT! It's just going to breed another annoying behaviour when it comes to questing/farming. In the end you'll just have these oddball semi aoe fests, as nobody are really killing anything, just leehcing off others.
    I honestly don't see a problem with the current system, quest critical and boss mobs have a shared tag system, that's all you really need.

  17. #117
    Quote Originally Posted by Iso View Post
    It's not going to fix anything, people will just ride on others. Someone tagged a mob? Slap it with an insta spell and move on! PROFIT! It's just going to breed another annoying behaviour when it comes to questing/farming. In the end you'll just have these oddball semi aoe fests, as nobody are really killing anything, just leehcing off others.
    I honestly don't see a problem with the current system, quest critical and boss mobs have a shared tag system, that's all you really need.
    I disagree, all mobs should be open to attack. If you're so concerned about "hit-and-run" tactics(which I've hardly seen myself if at all on GW2) then a percentile based system can be implemented. That way someone will have to do some amount of damage(beyond just a quick pick) to get credited for the kill.

  18. #118
    Legendary! Sigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    England, Earth, Sol Star System, Milkyway Galaxy
    Posts
    6,844
    one thing I would like to see is

    Tag the mob you get the XP.
    Dont tag the mob, but help to kill it, get the quest credit

    Rares,
    Tag the mob, you get the loot,
    Dont tag but help kill it, you get the achievement credit.
    (Got tired of people begging me to invite to a group when killing a rare stating they need it for achievement, then waiting to see what I roll and rolling need on items)

  19. #119
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    I'm sure it would be easy to implement a system that only allows the person that originally tagged to loot anything uncommon or better. So what if someone gets credit for their quest by hitting the mob once just before it dies? How does that negatively impact your game play?
    It's not the impact on my gameplay necessarily. It's that multi-tagging on all mobs would encourage lazy behaviors. To be fair, it would encourage cooperation, but you would see a TON of piggybacking. Piggybacking should not be an acceptable way to quest.

  20. #120
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    So? I don't see the negative. Quests get done quicker, everyone wins.
    Quests get done quicker if you're the one leeching off of everyone else doing the work. If you're the one actually fighting the mobs it's no faster.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-25 at 09:24 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    one thing I would like to see is

    Tag the mob you get the XP.
    Dont tag the mob, but help to kill it, get the quest credit

    Rares,
    Tag the mob, you get the loot,
    Dont tag but help kill it, you get the achievement credit.
    (Got tired of people begging me to invite to a group when killing a rare stating they need it for achievement, then waiting to see what I roll and rolling need on items)
    That's why I invite and keep loot set to Master Loot. If they want the achieve credit that's fine but if you can't kill the mob yourself you are not getting any of the loot for me doing the work.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •