Poll: Should mob tagging be removed?

Thread: Mob tagging

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    /care. But if u guys want it, why not. I don't see any issue really.

Outright pathetic mentality people have in this thread by and large. So much so that I am actually glad my sub is cancelled to WoW and I can put my focus and desire for a better community elsewhere. All I hear is a bunch of blubbering and crying because "Oh I spat on it first!"--the effort you put into fights doesn't even compare to that of GW2's mechanics to begin with but oh dear god be damned if someone helps and gets credit for the same kill. End of the world. Communism is taking over at a breathtaking pace on the internets.

What if a healer comes along and heals you up? What if a tank jumps in and stuns/aggros some of the mobs off of you? Guess what kiddies, they aren't doing damage but they're still assisting in their own way. Even if someone just does one spell on them, it's extra damage to help you drop your targets! That's the magic of a non-tagged system in which anyone can jump into a fight at any time with reward. You still get your exp, you still get your loot table, only difference is they also get the same. Play GW2 for a bit and you'll quickly realize it's actually an effective and useful system of developing teamwork/unity without any superficial garbage forced into the mix.

There is no excuse for being so vehemently opposed to it. I can understand being hesitant, unsure, but acting like a spoiled brat gives reason as to why gaming communities abroad have become little more than a bad joke around the drinking table. Even I, with a childhood steeped in gaming, think of modern gaming communities as little more than a cesspool of petulant runts taking long-winded shits on each other without a care because they couldn't succeed in their own personal lives. So they've got to make the "gaming world" their "time to shine" over everyone else.

Pardon my snide remarking but hey, it is what it is. Time people get real with one another. This is just one of those ridiculous conflicts spawned from ridiculous, artificial need. There IS NO ISSUE WITH IT. If you have issue, it lies entirely with you. Evolve or maybe spend more time developing the rest of your life enough so that the conflict of "uber-style mob killing" means less to your delicate senses. Christ, I'd expect the kind of answers I've seen on here from first grade children.
    Last edited by Rudol Von Stroheim; 2012-11-26 at 01:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    There is no excuse for being so vehemently opposed to it. I can understand being hesitant, unsure, but acting like a spoiled brat gives reason as to why gaming communities abroad have become little more than a bad joke around the drinking table. Even I, with a childhood steeped in gaming, think of modern gaming communities as little more than a cesspool of petulant runts taking long-winded shits on each other without a care because they couldn't succeed in their own personal lives. So they've got to make the "gaming world" their "time to shine" over everyone else.
    I would be all for it if I thought that shared-tagging would be all smiles and teamwork. However, I am merely looking at it realistically and realizing that many players would take the easy way out and piggyback on other people not out of a desire to help a fellow player, but to get other people to do the heavy lifting for them. Given your negative view of the community at large, I would think you might have similar reservations.

WoW already has a system in which you can group up and work together. I think a better implementation than shared-tagging might be to allow queues to continue while in a group.

Really, I think shared-tags are potentially a good thing, but that enough people would misuse the system that it wouldn't be worthwhile.

Remove tag for Sha of Anger

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    I would be all for it if I thought that shared-tagging would be all smiles and teamwork. However, I am merely looking at it realistically and realizing that many players would take the easy way out and piggyback on other people not out of a desire to help a fellow player, but to get other people to do the heavy lifting for them. Given your negative view of the community at large, I would think you might have similar reservations.

WoW already has a system in which you can group up and work together. I think a better implementation than shared-tagging might be to allow queues to continue while in a group.

Really, I think shared-tags are potentially a good thing, but that enough people would misuse the system that it wouldn't be worthwhile.
    What does it matter if someone piggybacks killing the same mobs as you? It is not like the quest giver is going to tell that you have not killed the mobs properly and that you should go and kill them again. You have lost nothing and gained a little time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    What does it matter if someone piggybacks killing the same mobs as you? It is not like the quest giver is going to tell that you have not killed the mobs properly and that you should go and kill them again. You have lost nothing and gained a little time.
    They've gained a little time. The idiot who comes through and leeches off everyone doing quests in the area has gained more time, did less work, and received the same reward.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    They've gained a little time. The idiot who comes through and leeches off everyone doing quests in the area has gained more time, did less work, and received the same reward.
    Work? This is a game we play for fun, someone leeching your mob has absolutely zero impact on your ability to complete the quest you are on. If the idiots are going to be a common as you and some others would lead us believe then it is reasonable to assume that there will be at least two or three them at every quest area, two or three people casting one DOT or one AOE spell each would do considerable damage to the mob.

Honestly you should pay less attention to what others are doing or what they have and more on your own enjoyment. If someone being able to gain a reward from hitting a mob that you are fighting has such an impact on your enjoyment then you are taking the game far too seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Otiswhitaker View Post
    How does that even effect you? Moreover, people of the same faction should want to work together like that :x Do you hate the people of your faction, or something?
    If their experience is anything like mine then everyone in world PvE is an enemy; I gladly would kill players of my own faction if I could at times to get a mob. An oppositional mindset happens to provide the most rewards for me in world PvE. I don't want some lazy ass scrub who goes into lfr or dungeons pulling 15k dps getting any benefit from me doing an activity to benefit myself. If they want rewards they should put in effort, not mooch off of others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

I think a compromise would work, First to tag a mob gets quest-credit, XP (If not level-capped, duh), quest-items and loot (Gold, equippable items and vendor trash), further people to damage the mob get quest-credit, quest-items but no XP or non-quest loot.

That would make quests (Especially dailies) a lot more bearable when areas are crowded, but not make it botting paradise.

Personally, I think tagging should be removed. It's not that tagging is a horrible thing, but removing it would promote team play without having to formalize a "party".

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Work? This is a game we play for fun, someone leeching your mob has absolutely zero impact on your ability to complete the quest you are on. If the idiots are going to be a common as you and some others would lead us believe then it is reasonable to assume that there will be at least two or three them at every quest area, two or three people casting one DOT or one AOE spell each would do considerable damage to the mob.

Honestly you should pay less attention to what others are doing or what they have and more on your own enjoyment. If someone being able to gain a reward from hitting a mob that you are fighting has such an impact on your enjoyment then you are taking the game far too seriously.
    Oh so the big issue here is that because it's a game you don't want to work for anything but feel that you should have someone else do it for you because it's supposed to be fun. I'm sorry but you need to learn quickly that if you want something you're going to have to work for it whether it be something fun or not. Nothing is just given to anyone.

I think the GW2 concept is nice, working together to gain rewards but tbh i wouldn't like WoW to change it to the GW2 style, maybe because im just so used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dredamor View Post
    I think the GW2 concept is nice, working together to gain rewards but tbh i wouldn't like WoW to change it to the GW2 style, maybe because im just so used to it.
    The only problem with GW2 concept is that popular areas have such a huge crowd, quests basically become absolutely trivial.
    If you make all mobs multitaggable, what about loot? Does each person have their own loot version? This would quickly go into bizarre - basically it would punish people for fighting anything on their own. If you make loot only available to the person who dealt last blow, you would basically go back to Everquest-style kill-stealing.

I think WoW tagging system is good as it is. What they should do is make questing more group-friendly.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

WoW is designed around mob tagging. This means gathering, crafting, quests, leveling etc. are all designed with mob tagging in mind. Simply remove mob tagging will be disasterous for WoW.
    A few examples that I can think of:
    1. who gets to skin/engineer the dead corpse? if 1 person skinned does that mean leather appear in everyone's bag? or does the faster clicker gets to skin? currently mob tagger can have some control by not looting
    2. what's stopping someone from dropping 1 aoe and then go off and mine/herb while getting rewarded for the kills?
    3. how will exp share work? if you have 25 ppl split in 5 groups, 1 person from each group hits a particular mob once and that mob dies, how is exp shared amongst 25 people?
    4. same situation for 3, but how will loot be handled? if gold/loot is multiplied by 25 then i can imagine gold inflation going way way up with chinese farmer multiboxing.

There are some fundamental design issues when you are talking about mob tagging. I do agree that Blizzard should do something to promote cooperation instead of players dreading seeing other players. However, simply remove mob tagging is definately not the solution.
    their moving their table over their
    they're moving they're table over they're
    there moving there table over there

Quote Originally Posted by wow2011 View Post
    WoW is designed around mob tagging. This means gathering, crafting, quests, leveling etc. are all designed with mob tagging in mind. Simply remove mob tagging will be disasterous for WoW.
    A few examples that I can think of:
    1. who gets to skin/engineer the dead corpse? if 1 person skinned does that mean leather appear in everyone's bag? or does the faster clicker gets to skin? currently mob tagger can have some control by not looting
    2. what's stopping someone from dropping 1 aoe and then go off and mine/herb while getting rewarded for the kills?
    3. how will exp share work? if you have 25 ppl split in 5 groups, 1 person from each group hits a particular mob once and that mob dies, how is exp shared amongst 25 people?
    4. same situation for 3, but how will loot be handled? if gold/loot is multiplied by 25 then i can imagine gold inflation going way way up with chinese farmer multiboxing.

There are some fundamental design issues when you are talking about mob tagging. I do agree that Blizzard should do something to promote cooperation instead of players dreading seeing other players. However, simply remove mob tagging is definately not the solution.
    ^ Pretty much this. There would need to be some massive revamp in order to remove mob tagging.