Poll: Should mob tagging be removed?

Thread: Mob tagging

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

Mob tagging

Mob tagging is such an outdated concept and promotes people actually running from eachother because they don't want the other to tag their mobs instead of working together and both getting rewards.

Do you think WoW would benefit if mobs were no longer taggable and everyone who helped kill a mob would get credit, either the same as if they killed the mob alone or even if a bit less then they'd get if they did it alone? Do you like mob tagging or would you rather have people work together to kill mobs and all getting rewards based on participation, kind of like in Rift rifts or GW2?

10+ Year Old Account
    One of the best things about GW2 to me was the lack of tagging. I would love for WoW to do something like that.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mob tagging makes it harder to farm. You think bots are bad now? There'll be more if you just have to hit a mob to get loot off it.

It's a problem for questing, there should be more instances where tagging is removed for 1-kill quests (like a number of quests on Wandering Isle), but the system should stay for farmable mobs.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

I feel that WoW works fine as it does in regards of mob tagging. Finders keepers and all that. And should the tagger be of the other faction you could always kill them (assuming you play on a pvp server).

The thought itself isn't that bad, but I feel that it's too late to add something like this to the game, seeing as the entire system is built on a different basis. It would mean an entire overhaul to the looting system as well as the mob mechanics to get it working. It would also ruin things like Galleon and other rares.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Mob tagging makes it harder to farm. You think bots are bad now? There'll be more if you just have to hit a mob to get loot off it.

It's a problem for questing, there should be more instances where tagging is removed for 1-kill quests (like a number of quests on Wandering Isle), but the system should stay for farmable mobs.
    A majority of quests, at least in Pandaria of mobs that have names (generally the "1-kill quests") are multi-taggable as well.

Everyone who helps kill something should get something. I don't see what in the world is wrong with that. Who really cares if there's any negative side effects? The positives greatly outweigh any negatives. I could see players only being happy from the results. An MMO should be about playing together in any sort of form, not avoiding people.

Quote Originally Posted by Otiswhitaker View Post
    Everyone who helps kill something should get something. I don't see what in the world is wrong with that. Who really cares if there's any negative side effects? The positives greatly outweigh any negatives. I could see players only being happy from the results. An MMO should be about playing together in any sort of form, not avoiding people.
    If I'm doing a quest in an area I don't want someone coming in and casting one spell on my mobs as well every mob anyone else is fighting to get credit for essentially doing nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    If I'm doing a quest in an area I don't want someone coming in and casting one spell on my mobs as well every mob anyone else is fighting to get credit for essentially doing nothing.
    How does that even effect you? Moreover, people of the same faction should want to work together like that :x Do you hate the people of your faction, or something?

For quests where you need to kill targets to loot a quest item, be it 1 or 100, getting a hit off of any target should grant you loot. However, if you didn't get the initial tag and the mob can be mined/herbed/skinned/engineered, then tough. Alternatively, quest items are no longer looted and are now granted to the player upon the required mob/s death.

Deleted
    WoW never use to have tagging basically the person who got the killing blow got the loot, so it just made people follow round others as they could get all ofthe reward with none of the work, this is why flagging got brought in.

but then if you look at the mists quest mobs that have somewhat shared tagging, the majority of the time people will run past and do the last hit as something is dying and insta loot it taking what the other person has worked for, as long as there is no respect in this game tagging is needed the only way round it would be fore every mob to be like LFR.

10+ Year Old Account
    This happens a lot in the dailies. Yesterday I was fighting the behemoth for golden lotus. I personally saw three people just came in, put a dot or an instant cast and then ran off killing the other mobs in the area.

How does that even effect you? Moreover, people of the same faction should want to work together like that :x Do you hate the people of your faction, or something?
    I agree with Xeraxis, it makes it too easy for people to lazily use others to grind through quests. Imagine launch day, lots of people doing same quests. A mage just has to arcane explosion as he jogs around the quest area and he'll get all his kills done for him by others. I already do pretty much the same thing with the Golden Lotus' lightning dragon quest. I just tag a kill that someone else is doing and get credit for it.

I agree with special mobs sharing credit. I would also favour world bosses working that way. I don't agree with normal mobs being shared credit.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    you're likely wrong, and we don't care anyway.
    Source

So you want something for nothing? If I and several others are in an area questing and you come in and hit each of the mobs once that we are each fighting you should get credit for all of them? Just go ahead and admit you want to be rewarded for being lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    but then if you look at the mists quest mobs that have somewhat shared tagging, the majority of the time people will run past and do the last hit as something is dying and insta loot it taking what the other person has worked for, as long as there is no respect in this game tagging is needed the only way round it would be fore every mob to be like LFR.
    In my defence, I do it mainly to the other faction, and I've been psychologically trained to hate their guts.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    you're likely wrong, and we don't care anyway.
    Source

Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth View Post
    I agree with special mobs sharing credit. I would also favour world bosses working that way. I don't agree with normal mobs being shared credit.
    And I'd agree with you on that. But if it's a collect quest/multi kill quest and you don't want to sit and kill enemies for the updates, then don't expect me to do all your work.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have to vote yes, it was one of the things I liked best about GW2 as well. I realize WoW has somewhat modified it so that for "boss" type kill quests everyone who attacks it is able to get credit but it's still very irritating to not be able to just get credit for other mobs for daily quests as well.

As far as the bot concern goes, they could perhaps make it like GW2 where each mob doesn't guarantee loot. It's seemingly random which mobs will give you loot and which won't. I'm sure they could also modify it so that the tagging for loot system still stays in place for rares.

Quote Originally Posted by Fhi View Post
    This happens a lot in the dailies. Yesterday I was fighting the behemoth for golden lotus. I personally saw three people just came in, put a dot or an instant cast and then ran off killing the other mobs in the area.
    Don't know what class you were or race, but I can tell you personally. If that happened to me and I was on a class that could drop aggro on a dime eg. Nightelf or hunter feign death. I'd have done it in a heart beat and let the mob go and grind the jerk into snot.

If they stay to help kill what they tagged I'm more inclined to help, if they run away laughing; I get the last laugh by dropping aggro and watch as they fight 3-5 things.
    Last edited by Tharn; 2012-11-24 at 12:56 AM.

So you want something for nothing? If I and several others are in an area questing and you come in and hit each of the mobs once that we are each fighting you should get credit for all of them? Just go ahead and admit you want to be rewarded for being lazy.
    Well, that's one way to look at it. The way I'm looking at it, is more in line with the world bosses, and same-faction fighting over tags. It's absurd and makes zero logical sense.

That, and I like the idea of factions working together, not running away from one another.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharn View Post
    Don't know what class you were or race, but I can tell you personally. If that happened to me and I was on a class that could drop aggro on a dime eg. Nightelf or hunter feign death. I'd have done it in a heart beat and let the mob go and grind the jerk into snot.
    There's usually too many people attacking the Behemoth for that to work.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharn View Post

If they stay to help kill what they tagged I'm more inclined to help, if they run away laughing; I get the last laugh by dropping aggro and watch as they fight 3-5 things.
    did that to a lock earlier was funny watching them die.

but again this is just a problem with the community, you can't say for people to work together when a lot are out there to make other work for them, it's the entire reason tagging was added in the first place.