Senate bill rewrite lets feds read your e-mail without warrants

Senate bill rewrite lets feds read your e-mail without warrants
    Proposed law scheduled for a vote next week originally increased Americans' e-mail privacy. Then law enforcement complained. Now it increases government access to e-mail and other digital files.

by Declan McCullagh
    | November 20, 2012

A Senate proposal touted as protecting Americans' e-mail privacy has been quietly rewritten, giving government agencies more surveillance power than they possess under current law.

CNET has learned that Patrick Leahy, the influential Democratic chairman of the Senate Judiciary committee, has dramatically reshaped his legislation in response to law enforcement concerns. A vote on his bill, which now authorizes warrantless access to Americans' e-mail, is scheduled for next week.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57...news&tag=title
    It’s just a repair to the Petraeus case. It justifies unreasonable surveillance done by the FBI. In this country, everybody is spied by the Feds, include celebrities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well to be honest you're probably an idiot if you use email to communicate about bombings.

But seriously, your country is fucked.

Weeellll....

If some dude wants to dig through my mostly spam mail of penis enlargements, nigirian princes, and fake wow account warnings... have at it sir.

I don't really get why anyone not doing anything illegal would care (they will still have to follow some procedure or have cause for suspicion I imagine). Probably because my emails are either spam or receipts from online purchases rather than secret clandestine activity planning or illegal doings xD

I don't live in the US so this wouldn't affect me anyway i guess.

It's not like the FBI are going to look through your emails and post your naked pics on the internet for lols, or expose your love for hentai to the world...
    Last edited by Maelle; 2012-11-23 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maelle View Post
    Weeellll....

If some dude wants to dig through my mostly spam mail of penis enlargements, nigirian princes, and fake wow account warnings... have at it sir.

I don't really get why anyone not doing anything illegal would care. Probably because my emails are either spam or receipts from online purchases rather than secret clandestine activity planning or illegal doings xD

It's not like the FBI are going to look through your emails and post your naked pics on the internet for lols, or expose your love for hentai to the world...
    2012 version: Anybody who gives up their essential liberty doesn't understand essential liberty. Or freedom. And deserves neither.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelle View Post
    Weeellll....

I don't really get why anyone not doing anything illegal would care. Probably because my emails are either spam or receipts from online purchases rather than secret clandestine activity planning or illegal doings xD

Could be used by some corrupt cop to spy on his ex girlfriend or something after a bad breakup. Or cop could help his friend sabotage a rival company by spying on the rival company employee's emails to see if they ever share technical details.

Plenty of things could go wrong by completely eliminating privacy!

10+ Year Old Account
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.