Page 3 of 169 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
13
53
103
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Anyone that thinks men and women live equal lives, with equal risks and benefits really hasn't looked at any data. We've come faaar in the Western world. Beyond that it's pretty much disgraceful at best. Is there more terrain to gain, and differences between men and women to erase. Well, yes.

    But to answer the thread, in theory, yes. A movement looking into the interests of men where it relates to guy issues would be a very good thing. There are certainly issues where men have received the short end of the stick, and could use attention too, in our striving for equality.

    The problem I would see is that this won't become a movement dedicated to the same equality as one believes the feminist movement is and should be striving for, but that it would instead become an opposing force. A bastion of anti-feminists. Just turning it into a divisive gender war where lines are drawn, positions harden, and it becomes attack and defense, rather than society moving towards unity.

  2. #42
    The Lightbringer Deadvolcanoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    3,599
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    The problem isn't just oppression.

    If you think a movement like this is only based on oppression, then you need to do more research on the matter.

    Divorces, child's care, etc, etc, is usually more favourable to women because everyone thinks that women are the ones being oppressed, or people just feel more compelled to relate with a woman than with a man, double standards and all that.
    I'm sorry what? Women are more likely to gain custody after a divorce because people think women are oppressed? Or because people feel more compelled to relate with women? Huh? That's why they gain custody more often?

    In most divorce cases, the judge asks the children who they would rather stay with, and takes that into consideration. I guess most kids say their mother. I know I did when I was asked.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    If you actually read about it instead of just allowing the loudest (and most obnoxious) members to enter your thought process you'll see the primary focus is in family courts and domestic violence cases. There are social issues too, such as the (Until Movember) almost total lack of awareness campaigns for men's health.
    Let's take a look at r/Mensrights

    "So I asked my university subreddit why there's no men's centre." Ignoring exactly what a women's center does and why that doesn't realistically translate for men

    That right there is what I'm talking about. The Men's Rights movement is firmly grounded in equal parts ignorance and self confirming whining.

    Not a single thing I can find about family courts. Or domestics.

    And r/Mensrights is the second google hit for men's rights. So yeah, its pretty obvious why they're not taken seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Anti-racism protests are racist against whites.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
    I am The Riddler. I never 'make stuff up'.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

  4. #44
    Dreadlord Jawless Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The last place you look
    Posts
    829
    Quote Originally Posted by Henako View Post
    How about we worry less about men's and women's rights and more about people's rights. Aren't we all on the same team?
    amen brother/sister
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiebob
    I'm still waiting on someone to tell me where all these people that suddenly care about Warrior balance were during Cataclysm when they were blow up dolls with plate armor on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    Heard a statistic recently that puts Divorce rates amongst Military families at nearly 75%. I'll see if I can get statistics as to who is the most likely to initiate divorce and why.
    Not to go too far from the subject, but well, I got two uncles who have been the part of the military, one still is. The amount of time he has been travelling, or just gone, is extremily high, so just considering that, I am impressed how he and his wife has managed to stick together through it.

    "Only the wisest and stupidest of men never change."

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    Yeah, that's another gripe I have with them. It always comes across as insincere and cynical.
    They are accused of rape, it does happen and you know what happens a lot of the time? The accuser often gets nothing while this man was just wrongly put away for years.

  7. #47
    Scarab Lord Manakin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Cambridge!
    Posts
    4,930
    Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    Heard a statistic recently that puts Divorce rates amongst Military families at nearly 75%. I'll see if I can get statistics as to who is the most likely to initiate divorce and why.
    Jesus... Thats just fucking insane... (pardon the french) even if that stat is off slightly. I remember that i read somewhere that the co's are trying to stamp out early marriage ect not sure if i can get a source or not but i think it was for the uk, or us marines but i can see why now if its that bad.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Let's take a look at r/Mensrights

    "So I asked my university subreddit why there's no men's centre." Ignoring exactly what a women's center does and why that doesn't realistically translate for men

    That right there is what I'm talking about. The Men's Rights movement is firmly grounded in equal parts ignorance and self confirming whining.

    Not a single thing I can find about family courts. Or domestics.

    And r/Mensrights is the second google hit for men's rights. So yeah, its pretty obvious why they're not taken seriously.
    Alright hang on.

    First off, there's a definite lack of men's centers in the country (if not the world). Women account for an increasing percentage of domestic violence cases (and some research suggests they're usually the instigators of domestic abuse) and men underreport that at a similar rate to the underreporting of rape victims. Yet I'm not aware of the existence of a single men's shelter in the country.

    Second, let's take a trip to r/Feminism and see on the front page... "What ISN'T prejudiced?"

    See? Loonies on both sides.

    And while you see "nothing about domestics" I see the 2 videos I put in the OP on the front page as well as several other perfectly valid concerns.

    Like this, this, this, this, and a story about this.

    If you saw nothing but people bitching and moaning about imagined problems then you really aren't looking. Not looking hard enough? Not looking at all.
    Last edited by Laize; 2012-11-24 at 02:17 AM.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by mmines View Post
    They are accused of rape, it does happen and you know what happens a lot of the time? The accuser often gets nothing while this man was just wrongly put away for years.
    That is a legitimate case. It doesn't happen as frequently as you would like to portray though. The vast majority of reasons brought up in men's rights discussions are more along the lines of 'Hey women get x, why don't we get it too?!' or 'Since men have to deal with this problem, we need to create a similar problem for women'

    It's not so much a desire to right wrongs as it is 'lets make life more difficult for women' or 'lets advance our own standing in society' none of which puts them on the moral highground which the majority of internet men's right advocates love to talk down from.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    I'll treat men's rights as something other than a joke when 1 in 5 men in the U.S. have to fear domestic violence and sexual assault. If you were born a male, you need to clam up and thank your lucky stars every day. Name me one country on the planet wherein men are viewed as the property of another person...
    And this is why Men's Rights Movement is treated like a joke, ladies and gentlemen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    In most divorce cases, the judge asks the children who they would rather stay with, and takes that into consideration. I guess most kids say their mother. I know I did when I was asked.
    Really? The impression that I got is that children rarely have any word on the matter, atleast, not when both parents are dumb enough to not care about the child's future, because winning, for them, is more important.

  11. #51
    You don't get the difference though. r/Mensrights is the 2-4 hit (depending on syntax and such) after wikipedia. Googling women's rights gets you the ACLU and the Human Rights Watch. R/feminism isn't even on the first page. Men's Rights isn't taken seriously because they take almost no appreciable efforts to be taken seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Anti-racism protests are racist against whites.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
    I am The Riddler. I never 'make stuff up'.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

  12. #52
    Men's health issues? When so many men are for cutting funding to places like Planned Parenthood that provide women's health care, I don't think you'll be getting much sympathy at all on that front. I'm not saying prostate checks aren't important, I'm just saying when you vote to take away things from women, you'll find them less than sympathetic.

  13. #53
    Scarab Lord Manakin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Cambridge!
    Posts
    4,930
    The domestic abuse card, bless. I almost forget. Men are stronger than women generally (GENERALLY im sure there are girls who'd rip my neck and shit down it anyday) But it seems most people view domestic abuse as MY MAN PUT HIS HANDS ON ME, and not viewing the mentally damaging psychological effect the constant abuse and strain it has on men. And how it can just make them snap and give them far ranging damaging mental illeness's, this isnt even considering women hitting men.

  14. #54
    The Insane Rukentuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mini Soda
    Posts
    19,858
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    And this is why Men's Rights Movement is treated like a joke, ladies and gentlemen.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...estic-violence

    You were saying?
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    You don't get the difference though. r/Mensrights is the 2-4 hit (depending on syntax and such) after wikipedia. Googling women's rights gets you the ACLU and the Human Rights Watch. R/feminism isn't even on the first page. Men's Rights isn't taken seriously because they take almost no appreciable efforts to be taken seriously.
    Doesn't that say more about the views of the public on Mens Rights rather than the movement itself?

    Seriously look at the links I posted which are all from the front page of r/MensRights. Tell me that those aren't valid concerns.

  16. #56
    The Lightbringer Deadvolcanoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    3,599
    Quote Originally Posted by N-7 View Post
    Acting like false accusation of rape do not exist is as bad if not more.
    86% of rape victims are female, and the overwhelming majority of rapists are male.

    So yes, while men have to worry about being accused of rape, women have to actually worry about being raped.

    And how many false rape accusations do you think there are compared to the number of actual rapes? I'm guessing it 10,000 to 1.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Doesn't that say more about the views of the public on Mens Rights rather than the movement itself?

    Seriously look at the links I posted which are all from the front page of r/MensRights. Tell me that those aren't valid concerns.
    You're still missing the point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Anti-racism protests are racist against whites.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
    I am The Riddler. I never 'make stuff up'.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

  18. #58
    The Insane Rukentuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mini Soda
    Posts
    19,858
    Quote Originally Posted by Agoonga View Post
    If 2/5 domestic violence victims are male, doesn't that mean 3/5 is female?
    Next, tell me how many shelters and support centers there are for women. Then tell me how many are for men.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Next, tell me how many shelters and support centers there are for women. Then tell me how many are for men.
    A fantastic example of benevolent sexism actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Anti-racism protests are racist against whites.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
    I am The Riddler. I never 'make stuff up'.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

  20. #60
    The Insane Rukentuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mini Soda
    Posts
    19,858
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    A fantastic example of benevolent sexism actually.
    The figure in England is about 125:1, or about 7500 shelters for women victims, compared to 60 shelters for male victims.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •