10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Who would make that argument?

My original point was that Warren Farrell (the guy who was protested) made a comment that was taken grossly out of context claiming he condoned rape. That's completely disingenuous bullshit.
    The person I was quoting, and I was asking for clarification, not outright accusing him of making it. Implying that it can't be rape if a woman might have sexual attraction towards the male, and therefore its only rape if non-attractive men do it, really does seem to fit into the "she wanted it" mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    The person I was quoting, and I was asking for clarification, not outright accusing him of making it. Implying that it can't be rape if a woman might have sexual attraction towards the male, and therefore its only rape if non-attractive men do it, really does seem to fit into the "she wanted it" mentality.
    For some people it's only rape if they don't enjoy it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Once again, it's important to remember that the quality of being an asshole does not know race, creed, or gender.
    Last edited by Sunseeker; 2012-12-04 at 08:20 AM.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Once again, it's important to remember that the quality of being an asshole does not no race, creed, or gender.
    There's a difference between a plain old asshole and getting someone arrested for something they didn't do. I don't know any other ways to get someone arrested just by filing a police report.

You know, after these twenty some years of living my life I've realized my white male status was a far more difficult challenge than being gay.
    (Lol. Ok seriously.)

I have the unique ability to blend in and be a heterosexual religious white male on the surface, but underneath I'm am atheistic gay man. I can easily tell you which one is more challenging to live by. I also believe that being a female comes with more challenges than being male. That's just the world. However, if any injustices are happening to white heterosexual men whatever it might be, they also deserve to be able to find happiness. Emphasis on whatever it might be because I really don't know what it is even being a white male.
    "Punching things is cool and stuff. Pow bam bam bam Pow. O yah... God I'm eloquent." -Dalai Lama

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a difference between a plain old asshole and getting someone arrested for something they didn't do. I don't know any other ways to get someone arrested just by filing a police report.
    Murder? Plotting to assassinate the president? Child molestation?

Getting arrested and getting charged with a crime, much less actually being found guilty of it, are three different things.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Murder? Plotting to assassinate the president? Child molestation?

Getting arrested and getting charged with a crime, much less actually being found guilty of it, are three different things.
    You're not going to be arrested for murder or (to the best of my knowledge) plotting to assassinate the president without hard evidence.

Child Molestation is another one that's easy to get arrested for, though.

You're not going to be arrested for murder or (to the best of my knowledge) plotting to assassinate the president without hard evidence.

Lots of areas have a requirement of detention of at least one person if there is a Domestic Violence call. Regardless of any proof.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Lots of areas have a requirement of detention of at least one person if there is a Domestic Violence call. Regardless of any proof.
    Domestic violence is another area where men are usually arrested by default, regardless of who the actual offender was.

10+ Year Old Account

You can get arrested for pretty much anything. They don't even have to charge you with a crime for 48 hours.

Just, be kind.

There is rampant discrimination against men when it comes to parental custodial rights (at least in the US).

Deleted
    You can get arrested for pretty much anything. They don't even have to charge you with a crime for 48 hours.
    Sure, but those making the arrest need something to stand on to make that arrest, even if you aren't informed of it immediately.
    Last edited by mmoc43ae88f2b9; 2012-12-04 at 04:34 PM.

The man was not arrested he was called in for questioning while the claim was being investigated, the lady was later charged with a bond set at $2,000.

Instead of just pointing out the places where men are treated unfairly why not try to look why they are treated unfairly, without playing the blame game too much.

Look at domestic violence, why is it that men are seen as the guilty party more often than women are? Is it because they are more violent on because they do it more? I was reading the wiki on Warren Farrell and it made me think about domestic violence he stated that he believed it was more equally done between men and women. My first reaction was to say "No men do it more" but as I thought about it is that really true? Women report it more but is that because men do it more or is it because men just report it less? In society men are seen as the aggressors and women as the passives so it can be shaming for a man to have to admit that a woman is abusing him. Then we have the teachings of boys should not hit girls (I am a firm believer of keep your hands to yourself) which leads to men accepting a woman hitting them and not being able to do anything which helps enables female abusers to continue.

So men have this double whammy of having to be a "man" therefore not reporting the abuse and not being able to fully defend themselves because they are taught not to hit a woman. So these factors lead to men being seen as primarily the abusers and women been seen as the abused in most cases. The laws are then made to protect the people that are being abused the most. Even if the laws are changed that still will not solve the main problem with how men and women are viewed in society.

The same goes for cases of statutory rape, we still see it as not that bad when it happens to boys because they are seen as more focused on sex. That they are the persuers of the older women and have somehow seduced the older women. When it comes to girls we see it as they have been deceived by the older man and that they the older has managed to play on the weakness of the girl. We still go off of the belief that all girls are not as focused on sex as boys are at the age.

It is easy to point out "where" the unfair treatment happens but the "why" is harder to pin down and even harder to fix. We can change laws but until you set out to change the mindsets of people the laws will still be enforced in an unfair way.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I live in the shire.