Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    That this is (or was) big news pretty much explains how narrow minded people can still be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    That this is (or was) big news pretty much explains how narrow minded people can still be.
    Yup, well that's kind of the issue. The fact she's bisexual and a congresswomen isn't really the big deal, the big deal is that enough people were willing to vote for her that she won, and obviously in the past that wouldn't of happened, or at least it hadn't until this point.

Yay! Go go bisexuality!

Those of you that "don't care" are the reason that the people who do care (to support) are having trouble earning equality from the other people who care (to oppress). Quit not caring and start supporting equality; YOU are the one that makes the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    Yay! Go go bisexuality!

Those of you that "don't care" are the reason that the people who do care (to support) are having trouble earning equality from the other people who care (to oppress). Quit not caring and start supporting equality; YOU are the one that makes the difference.
    I'll vote for whoever the best candidate is. I think anyone who votes for someone merely because they're a woman or black (Which was the case with the DNC in 2008) is doing democracy very wrong.

If the best candidate is a white man I'm going to vote for a white man.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    I'll vote for whoever the best candidate is. I think anyone who votes for someone merely because they're a woman or black (Which was the case with the DNC in 2008) is doing democracy very wrong.
    Based on what? The DNC's job is to pick a candidate that can win an election. It's literally impossible to argue that they didn't do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Based on what? The DNC's job is to pick a candidate that can win an election. It's literally impossible to argue that they didn't do so.
    I didn't mean to imply that the DNC picked Clinton and Obama because they were a black man or a woman. I meant that the huge majority of votes for Clinton were from women while the huge majority of votes for Obama were from black people.

There were certainly people who voted for Clinton or Obama because of their demographic rather than their platforms. You're okay with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    I didn't mean to imply that the DNC picked Clinton and Obama because they were a black man or a woman. I meant that the huge majority of votes for Clinton were from women while the huge majority of votes for Obama were from black people.

There were certainly people who voted for Clinton or Obama because of their demographic rather than their platforms. You're okay with that?
    Basically, yes. I'd rather people make well informed, policy-based decisions, but the reality of the world is that most voters decide on who they're voting for for painfully stupid reasons, and I think voting based on demographics isn't particularly near the bottom of the barrel. It's not my approach to elections (at least not consciously), but I don't expect many people to approach elections like I do.

I will say that I'd give very strong consideration to an atheist unless I found the individual politically ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Basically, yes. I'd rather people make well informed, policy-based decisions, but the reality of the world is that most voters decide on who they're voting for for painfully stupid reasons, and I think voting based on demographics isn't particularly near the bottom of the barrel. It's not my approach to elections (at least not consciously), but I don't expect many people to approach elections like I do.

I will say that I'd give very strong consideration to an atheist unless I found the individual politically ridiculous.
    In a normal social situation I automatically think higher of atheists than I do of religious folk. When it comes to politics I'm more likely to be tolerant of those stupid beliefs if they can show they're capable of keeping their imaginary friends out of their policies.

Good for her. She's pretty hot too, lol. I don't understand why so many people have a problem with gay/bisexual people. Someone else's sexuality doesn't mean shit to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Willeonge View Post
    Pretty cool, but I don't really care. As long as she represents her district well.
    This post could've ended the thread, as far as I'm concerned. The only metric that should ever be applied to congressmen and women is whether they will do a good job representing their constituents. Nothing else matters.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kuku2 View Post
    This post could've ended the thread, as far as I'm concerned. The only metric that should ever be applied to congressmen and women is whether they will do a good job representing their constituents. Nothing else matters.
    I agree. The reason this is big though is that a lot of people wouldn't agree with you. They would take things like sexuality into consideration when voting and not vote for a candidate that is clearly better, just because she is bi. This is a sign that that is no longer happening. Hopefully not to many people voted for her because she is bi, in which case al that's happening is we're reversing the bias.