Thread: PCI-e SSD cards

PCI-e SSD cards

Going to be building a computer in a few months once I get back from kuwait. I am looking at different parts, I have used normal SSD's befor but wondering if anyone has any inputs on PCIe SSd's.

http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Technology...762800&sr=1-24

I was looking at that one or if OCZ or any other company brings new ones out I might change my mind.

TLDR: PCIe SSD's cards good or bad

thanks
    what

This all really depends on the card in question. There have been reports (not my experience as I do not have one) of them not helping at all with the boot time into windows due to having to load the drivers before loading windows.

I've read a few of these reports and wouldn't use one as a boot device.

And of course, NOT cheap.
    Last edited by SoulForge; 2012-11-24 at 01:33 PM.

They are the absolute fastest and largest SSD on the market, price has dropped substantially but Id go w/ a Sata 3 myself.

They work, they are a bit more fiddly than regular ones.
    Opinion: Not worth it.

i would stay away from them.

i have had two and they both deid on me, so im just using normal ssd disk now
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    They work, they are a bit more fiddly than regular ones.
    Opinion: Not worth it.
    Less fiddly than installing a Sata drive on a very old motherboard, way easier than installing windows XP drivers using a floppy.

OP: If you are tech savvy, the 'fiddly' part will delay your install by maybe 30 seconds as you navigate your USB drive to where the OCZ drivers are.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulForge View Post
    This all really depends on the card in question. There have been reports (not my experience as I do not have one) of them not helping at all with the boot time into windows due to having to load the drivers before loading windows.

I've read a few of these reports and wouldn't use one as a boot device.

And of course, NOT cheap.
    Incorrect, on a fresh install you load the drivers then, and the drive also shows up as a drive even in the BIOS.

Correct on the price point, but you get what you pay for, and you DO have to pay for the fastest drives on the market. :P

Deleted
    problem is most pci-(e) ssd's are quite experimental in sense of being reliable compared to sata2/3 ones.
    if this wasn't the case hybrid HDD's would have become the norm instead of separate ssd+hdd like it is now. (i mean how awesome would it be to have a drive decide which programs on the SSD and which is big storage, like caching but with 500mb/s read/write speeds instead of cache +-100mb/s)
    still that amount of data transfer is overkill for any gamer. (might be convinient for mass frapsing orso but so are raid0 sata3 ssd's)