Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Starcraft 2 VS. Warhammer: Dawn of War 2

I see Warhammer Dawn of War is on sale on Steam for $15 for DOW2 and the two xpacs. Worth it? How is it compared to Starcraft 2 when it comes to multiplayer? Are there still people playing online for DOW2? Can someone whos played both give me some opinions? Thanks.

I would recommend Starcraft 2 over Dawn of War 2. The former is just a superior game and superbly designed as all Blizzard games tend to be.

Dawn of War 2 is... okay. Lots of bugs, somewhat different in gameplay than SC2 or even the original Dawn of War games. DoW2 is more of a squad based RTS. The multiplayer is poorly balanced and basically dead. DoW2 was not that popular either.

SC2 is of course one of the most popular multiplayer games ever made. It also has a serious and legitimate competitive e-sport scene supported by one of the largest pub/devs in the business.

THQ are on verge of bankruptcy.

All points are in favor of Starcraft 2.

However, the original Dawn of War games are excellent. And I personally feel they are the most fun RTS games I played outside of the original Homeworld. If you can get the original Dawn of War games, they are great fun and bargain in $:entertainment.

Deleted
    SC2 is the best RTS of all time and DoW2 is a DoW1 without Base-Building and a terrible rpg-system. DoW1 was ok, but DoW2 is terribad!

Dawn of War 2? The game where they took out modding because they couldn't sell skin packs and their own shit properly in the first game? What's the competition here?
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

i personally vote DoW2. I love the Retribution standalone xpac, there are more races you can play and its pretty micro intensive. Very fun game. Sc2 has always felt very shallow to me. Dont care what the pros do, its what i can do that i care about. And in Sc2...feels very shallow.
    Facts don't care about feelings

My website (read my and other's novels here first!) https://www.the-fiction-factory.com/

10+ Year Old Account
    Starcraft 2 is definately a big game, sadly it's not as good as broodwar but it's still a nice fun game to play

10+ Year Old Account
    DoW2 should be skipped.
    Biggest waste of cash I ever spent.
    Completely change it from DoW1, and they reduce it to rubble.
    DoW3 might be okay, but 2 is definitely not!

SC2 > DoW2.

There is no base building!
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Quote Originally Posted by Kuthe View Post
    DoW2 should be skipped.
    Biggest waste of cash I ever spent.
    Completely change it from DoW1, and they reduce it to rubble.
    DoW3 might be okay, but 2 is definitely not!

SC2 > DoW2.

There is no base building!
    Dude, RTS games don't NEED basebuilding. See DoW2 and Battleforge.

Its just a different way to play the game. Just cause you dont like it doesn't mean its rubble. I personally really like DoW2

My website (read my and other's novels here first!) https://www.the-fiction-factory.com/

Deleted
    As much as I'd love to tell you to go and buy Dawn of War 2 (Massive warhammer fan here) I just can't. Starcraft is the better game IMO, Dawn of War original was amazing if you ask me, but I feel like they changed too much in the sequel for me to enjoy it, thats not to say that its a bad game, but it was not my taste. I feel like they should have called it something else, its a sequel to a game that it really doesnt share much in common with at all other than being in the RTS genre.

If you are looking for competitive RTS with deep gameplay and freaking high skill cap SC2 is the way to go. I have never played DoW serie so I couldn'y say anything about it. If you don't like hard game and don't want to get destroyed over and over again then I wouldn't recommend SC2. Oh SC:BW is good too if you wanna try. While SC2 is such a great game but BW has been refined with patchs and expansion to almost perfection.

I haven't played DOW2 but I personally think Sc2 is the best Rts multiplayer game out right now.

If you're a big Warhammer 40K nut, you'll probably like DoW2.
    If you want to focus on the gameplay and stuff, then SC2.

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved DoW 2, played through it several times. SC2 I beat the campaign, uninstalled it, and haven't played it since.

Everybody has their choices.

Hell, I just got a hankering to run through DoW 2 again lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Well, single player campaign is decent (vanilla can be bit repetitive towards the end), considering huge drought in RTS genre lately 15 bucks isn't much if only for single player.
    @endersblade, if you haven't yet, try http://forums.relicnews.com/showthre...ood-Ravens-mod. it is way better than original for me

Starcraft 2 got my vote here, for sure.

Just played an online match with the Eldar and it was awesome Whoever says DoW2 is dead, go grab Retribution and then you'll see

10+ Year Old Account
    SC 2 all the way. If only Dawn of War 2 was like the the first one, I might have liked it more.
    Last edited by Santti; 2012-11-25 at 05:27 PM.

Dawn of War 2 if you enjoy more squad based RPG elements (Your guys gain levels.)

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing will compete SC II ever so yeah I'm suggesting SC II obviously

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    I see Warhammer Dawn of War is on sale on Steam for $15 for DOW2 and the two xpacs. Worth it? How is it compared to Starcraft 2 when it comes to multiplayer? Are there still people playing online for DOW2? Can someone whos played both give me some opinions? Thanks.
    Depends on what franchise you like the most. If you want to play multiplayer though, Starcraft 2 has a much much bigger and active playerbase.