Page 1 of 26
... LastLast
    Deleted

What do you know about Romania?

I feel my curiosity is starting to chew on me and I'm starting to wonder what do people know about my country, Romania and I thought I'd ask you all.

So, what do you know? Tell me everything!

All I remember is hearing about the vast influx of refugees into that country while Bosnia was going up in smoke during the 1990s.

Deleted
    I know nothing about Romania...

The only thing is that my mom used to have a Romanian friend and that was about it, it's also very cold in there, right? I really don't know much about Romania.

I think we never spoke of it in school too.

Well i know that it's a poor country and that's where my knowledge ends.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whatever Zooc says .

I don't want to sound like a douche but the Romanians I have seen either play music on the streets or beg in town. I know not all Romanians are like that but these are the only ones I have met

Deleted
    Quite a lot although only the gypsies, I've ran into the romanian gypsyculture in both work and leisuretime. Amazing stuff, and you'll never have a dull moment with that lot.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's where Transylvania used to be located yeah? Castle Bran is just outside of Brasov if I remember correctly. It i supposed ot be one of the world's best preserved medieval cities. You share the same language as Moldova. I think Scholomance in WoW was named after the necromancy school that Dracula was supposed to have attended in Bram Stoker's novel. It was situated in the middle of a lake in the Carpathian mountains that runs somewhere through the middle of Romania. Capital is Bucharest. Michael Jackson had a concert there in 1992. There are a lot of gypsies. Was a former colony of Rome, hence the name. And last but not least, Romania has some seriously beautiful women :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    it's also very cold in there, right?
    Only in winter. And mostly in the mountains. In general otherwise not really, we're a regular country with a climate similar to... Poland, or Germany. In fact more hot, we have droughts in summer, so more hot then that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimboslyce View Post
    I don't want to sound like a douche but the Romanians I have seen either play music on the streets or beg in town. I know not all Romanians are like that but these are the only ones I have met
    Yes, well... everyone has their bad sides of the community. But we didn't want ours so we sent them to you. No, I'm joking. In fact most of those you see begging and playing music in your country are crooks who realized they can live better from begging then from doing real work, and they came to your country because you're a richer country then ours. So if you ever see any, never give them money. If you have a service to help beggars, call that, maybe they'll get them off the streets and get rid of them.
    I might sound mean here, but I know that most of said beggars are actually not needy people, but crooks. Since they do it here too.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    Quite a lot although only the gypsies, I've ran into the romanian gypsyculture in both work and leisuretime. Amazing stuff, and you'll never have a dull moment with that lot.
    Fair enough, though the Romani gypsies are not really romanians and most romanians don't really like them much. Gypsies are also not representative of our culture whatsoever. They're mostly a nomad people that happens to have a larger minority here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Its where vampires live! >_>
    Yup, and most romanians are vampires. That's why when foreign people come here people are all nice and stuff, they want to drink your blood. If they're mean to you, then your blood type is not good. True story.

Deleted
    Vlad the Impaler and House of Dracul!

Also, Romanian language is closest to Latin. One of the saddest documentaries that I've seen was from Romania - Children Underground. I know a woman from Romania and she's the best woman to be around! Funny as hell, all we do is laugh, she smokes a lot as well! :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bmps View Post
    It's where Transylvania used to be located yeah? Castle Bran is just outside of Brasov if I remember correctly. It i supposed ot be one of the world's best preserved medieval cities. You share the same language as Moldova. I think Scholomance in WoW was named after the necromancy school that Dracula was supposed to have attended in Bram Stoker's novel. It was situated in the middle of a lake in the Carpathian mountains that runs somewhere through the middle of Romania. Capital is Bucharest. Michael Jackson had a concert there in 1992. There are a lot of gypsies. Was a former colony of Rome, hence the name. And last but not least, Romania has some seriously beautiful women :P
    Well, Transylvania is still here, as an integral part of Romania ever since 1st december 1918 with a minor adventure they had with Hungary in WW2.
    Unfortunately, as much as Castle Bran and the parts of the medieval city are really nice, it's not really well preserved today. The authorities are leaving many castles and old houses and establishments be wiped by time since they don't care much. Castle Bran itself is now in private hands, which is why it's better preserved, but you'd be surprised how many medieval castles and such we had that are now just a bunch of piles of rocks due to nobody caring about them.

And yes, Romania has some very beautiful women indeed

Deleted

No, romanians aren't like gypsies. Gypsies are a percentage of the population. That's like saying american citizens are all latinos.

Deleted
    I know it's next to Bulgaria at the Black Sea.
    I know what the romanian flag looks like (yellow/blue/red).
    I know romanian cars have "RO" on them if they drive with the little eu flag.
    I know the capital is called Bucharest.
    I know that the palace or parliament in Romania is stupidly big.
    I know most romanian people that come to Denmark are either thieves, beggars or part of a cheap workforce of bricklayers/carpenters etc.

Deleted
    Romania is a beautiful country. Too bad it's image is spoiled by alot of idiots doing stupid stuff abroad.

OT : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SVTsqdhedM

romanian propaganda FTW :P

Anything you have ever heard of "transylvania" - that was really about Romania.
    As you can see I'm pretty uneducated about Romania.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well hell I better go there quick then before it all goes to total shambles haha. Ever since I read the novel I have been fiending to go over and see some of it. Every so often at the international university in the city where i live, a romanian girl will show up to study. They always blow the local girls right out of the water. Unfortunately, I am yet to meet one that doesn't smoke like a chimney :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    I know most romanian people that come to Denmark are either thieves, beggars or part of a cheap workforce of bricklayers/carpenters etc.
    I can't argue with that but bear in mind that Romania is a poor country, so honest workers are used to being paid low, not to mention "low" in Denmark is quite a lot in Romania.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Endre View Post
    Vlad the Impaler and House of Dracul!

Also, Romanian language is closest to Latin. One of the saddest documentaries that I've seen was from Romania - Children Underground. I know a woman from Romania and she's the best woman to be around! Funny as hell, all we do is laugh, she smokes a lot as well! :P
    Oh and if you want common details I know about it: Capital is Bucharest, the country is neighbouring Hungary and Serbia to the West, Bulgaria to the South, Moldova and Black Sea to the East and Ukraine to the East and North. The flag is Blue Yellow Red.

All I know about it is that you have 1 dam good looking female gymnast. Forgot her name but yeah, shes from Romania and shes hot.

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I remember from visiting there is that it is an absolutely beautiful country. I'm afraid that in terms of my knowledge of the country on a functional level, my knowledge is sadly lacking.