Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

2 Dead in 100 Vehicle pile-up

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20454417

http://www.kfdm.com/shared/news/top-...vid_2844.shtml

This looks insanely bad, I remember the M5 crash in the UK due to fog and firework smoke, but it was nothing on this scale...

I honestly can't believe how little some people care about road safety when things like this happen.

Deleted
    Real miracle there is only 2 people died.

Deleted
    Pretty tough thing but still, "only" 2 deaths...
    Last edited by mmoc58a2a4b64e; 2012-11-22 at 10:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is why I drive defensively. I don't trust anyone on the roads. Never tailgate, I rarely speed, I don't even like driving with other people. Driving sucks.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jess Day View Post
    Real miracle there is only 2 people died.
    I had a look into this and found this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multipl...#Major_pileups

I think often with fog related collisions the speeds are lower so there is less danger which means that often the risk of death is relatively low.

Stop caring after I read that it was in Texas.

<Infracted>
    No need to Insult Texans
    Last edited by Anakso; 2012-11-23 at 02:59 AM.

When the road conditions are foggy or wet or iced up....always make sure to speed up and follow the car ahead of you really closely. This way you wont get lost.

I'm surprised more people didn't die in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    This is why I drive defensively. I don't trust anyone on the roads. Never tailgate, I rarely speed, I don't even like driving with other people. Driving sucks.
    I 100% with you on this. I always think people are going to crash into me.

Quote Originally Posted by phenix View Post
    When the road conditions are foggy or wet or iced up....always make sure to speed up and follow the car ahead of you really closely. This way you wont get lost.
    This would the best advice to give to any new driver.

These things happen when you give, to average or a bad driver, car thats has 200+ horse power, 3000cc

A boatload of fog every morning here in SE Texas and a lot of traffic because of Thanksgiving. For those who don't know, I-10 goes from California to Florida, it always has a lot of semi trucks. Easy to see how it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by TinySlayer View Post
    I honestly can't believe how little some people care about road safety when things like this happen.
    They're called the average person. People just keep moving on with their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    These things happen when you give, to average or a bad driver, car thats has 200+ horse power, 3000cc
    183 CI lol that's a tiny engine

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand how this many cars can ram into each other.... I can understand an accident of 2-5 cars but 100 cars!? When there is heavy fog on the highway I always put on my emergency lights and drive at like 30 MPH.

These people must have been driving at 65+ MPH when they can't see more than 50 feet ahead of them, they deserve to get into an accident.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Over here (in a certain Asian city) the highways can get congested and people go relatively slow, resulting in jams.

When I went over to LA, I was shocked at how--even when in heavy traffic--everyone's going so fast and close to one another. It was pretty darn scary. Just ONE vehicle braking suddenly would've caused a 20 car pile-up at the very least. Slow down folks D::::

Still, it's a miracle only 2 lives were lost during such a major accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    These people must have been driving at 65+ MPH when they can't see more than 50 feet ahead of them, they deserve to get into an accident.
    More than likely, mixed in with a lot of semi trucks, idiots, people texting, arguing, eating, day dreaming, holiday driving rush or whatever.

I totally read that as 100 dead in 2 vehicle pile-up and instantly thought of a Mexican joke. Damn racist dyslexia.

Only 2 people, not bad. (bad for them and their loved ones, not bad on a statistical standpoint)
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    I don't understand how this many cars can ram into each other.... I can understand an accident of 2-5 cars but 100 cars!? When there is heavy fog on the highway I always put on my emergency lights and drive at like 30 MPH.

Im from Denmark so I dont know what ur speed limits are but on our highways the speed limit is 110-130 km/h for a car and 80 km/h for a truck/car with trailer. Going slower than 60 km/h can and will get you a ticket because you are going too slow and because of that puts the other drivers in danger.

Asuming ur speed limit is 65 mph and you then slow down to 30 mph that could be a serious danger to other drivers and someone like you could infact be the cause of this accident. Just think about it, most drivers go at the speed limit maybe a bit slower (say 60 because its hard to see) and then someone like you only drives 30 mph, due to the fact that they cant see too far they first see that you are going veeeery slowly in the very last second and drives into you.

Driving too slowly can also be reckless driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    Im from Denmark so I dont know what ur speed limits are but on our highways the speed limit is 110-130 km/h for a car and 80 km/h for a truck/car with trailer. Going slower than 60 km/h can and will get you a ticket because you are going too slow and because of that puts the other drivers in danger.

Asuming ur speed limit is 65 mph and you then slow down to 30 mph that could be a serious danger to other drivers and someone like you could infact be the cause of this accident. Just think about it, most drivers go at the speed limit maybe a bit slower (say 60 because its hard to see) and then someone like you only drives 30 mph, due to the fact that they cant see too far they first see that you are going veeeery slowly in the very last second and drives into you.

Generally the speed limit on major highways varies from 60 to 70 MPH; in some places it can be as low as 50, and some places as high as 80, but 60/65/70 is about the average. Some police officers will pull you over for going extremely slowly, because as you said, it is a danger; but you won't get a ticket most of the time, just a warning, especially if the weather conditions are less than perfect.

Also, when Waaldo says heavy fog, I'd imagine he means something like this:

which can happen sometimes, and when it gets that thick, not only will police almost never pull you over for cutting your speed down to around 30-40, they'll frequently pull over people who are going the actual speed limit if the rest of traffic is going at the slower rate. It's all about what other drivers are doing relative to you.

So each and every one of those 100 vehicles was going too fast for the conditions. I would like to say I am shocked, but from what I have observed many people aren't that safe drivers when it comes to substandard conditions (fog, snow, ice, etc.) That's why any time we have snow there are tons of wrecks.

On my way from Croatia to Germany a few days ago, there was a huge, HUGE wall of fog in Austria. Guess what? A few cars passed me at speeds of 130km/h, while I was driving 80.

10 minutes later, traffic jam due to accident. You can't even imagine how scared I was standing there, being the last car in a jam while it was that foggy.

Texas should learn to drive slower...?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post

A safe stopping distance while going 60 MPH is 6 car lengths. INB4 car length isn't a valid unit of measurement.
    If you can't even seen 3 cars a head of you, driving at 60+ MPH is extremely dangerous.
    It's pretty obvious that from this incident driving to fast in heavy fog is a bad idea. The way this happened wasn't 100 cars magically ramming into each other all at the same time. It was people driving at a speed where when they finally saw what was ahead of them it was to late to stop.
    When I said 30 MPH I wasn't trying to say that I slam on my brakes and slow down to exactly 30MPH as soon as I see fog and all the other cars go zooming past me. It was more just to say that I will slow down to a safe speed (depending on how bad the fog is) along with the rest of the traffic which usually ends up being around 30 MPH.
    Last edited by Waaldo; 2012-11-23 at 04:00 AM.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.