Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    The Unstoppable Force RICH8472's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    UK, Nexus
    Posts
    20,143
    Perfectly normal to have a vegetarian pet thats supposed to be an omnivore (I had a vegetarian rat), but in my experience a dog that eats grass is doing so because it has an upset stomach.

  2. #22
    The Lightbringer Whitey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    3,188
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Perfectly normal to have a vegetarian pet thats supposed to be an omnivore (I had a vegetarian rat), but in my experience a dog that eats grass is doing so because it has an upset stomach.
    There are different levels of being an omnivore though, some can survive on either portion of the foodsource (veggies/meat) but some require both. It's quite a lot easier for rats to be vegetarians than dogs.
    WBMA - Leave our beards alone

    Skype, PS3 & Steam - Whiteington

    Family reroll project on Defias Brotherhood, poke me

  3. #23
    LOAD"*",8,1 Fuzzzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Legion of Doom Headquarters
    Posts
    20,322
    Yeah, I've asked my vet about it in the past. They do it to help with digestion. Cats will do it too.

  4. #24
    I am Murloc! darenyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cho'gall (US)
    Posts
    5,861
    plant him a pot of wheatgrass, its better than whatever crap is on your lawn.

  5. #25
    Pretty much all carnivores will often eat grass.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    There are different levels of being an omnivore though, some can survive on either portion of the foodsource (veggies/meat) but some require both. It's quite a lot easier for rats to be vegetarians than dogs.
    Dogs are not considered omnivores. They generally prefer meat to the exclusion of all other food substances. Most professionals classify them more as opportunistic-scavengers. Present them with meat or veggies and in almost every case they will snub the veggies and go for the meat. Present them with veggies or dirt and well... hey veggies aren't so bad.

  7. #27
    The Lightbringer Whitey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    3,188
    Quote Originally Posted by isuridedes View Post
    Dogs are not considered omnivores. They generally prefer meat to the exclusion of all other food substances. Most professionals classify them more as opportunistic-scavengers. Present them with meat or veggies and in almost every case they will snub the veggies and go for the meat. Present them with veggies or dirt and well... hey veggies aren't so bad.
    Well they're omnivores in the sense that they will eat both, and both provide necessary nutrients, but as my post hinted they are way more into meat than veggies, unlike rats provided in my quote. Feeding my dog pure BARF since 8 weeks old and he's thriving, I'd consider anyone feeding their dog purely vegetarian diet to be harming their pet, even if it is unintentional.
    WBMA - Leave our beards alone

    Skype, PS3 & Steam - Whiteington

    Family reroll project on Defias Brotherhood, poke me

  8. #28
    Think your dog is stupid. :/

  9. #29
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    15,809
    Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    Do you know by a chance any product that could work on dog like a grass? (yeah i live in contry and not all grass is healty due too pesticides)
    I do know he likes too eat this a lot:


    ....and if you leave him with this plant alone its gona go bye bye in 5 min .
    I haven't been able to figure out how to get that stuff to grow reliably in my apt.
    Go and tell my baby sister
    Not to do what I have done
    Go and spurn that house down in New Orleans
    They call the Rising Sun

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Perfectly normal to have a vegetarian pet thats supposed to be an omnivore (I had a vegetarian rat), but in my experience a dog that eats grass is doing so because it has an upset stomach.
    I just cannot imagine how cool a vegetarian rat is. Did he wear like a monocle and talk fancy English?!

  11. #31
    The Unstoppable Force RICH8472's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    UK, Nexus
    Posts
    20,143
    Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    I just cannot imagine how cool a vegetarian rat is. Did he wear like a monocle and talk fancy English?!
    No, but despite being a vegetarian he was the biggest bully ever. He once trapped 5 other rats in the corner and beat the hell out of them all at the same time, vegetarians are crazy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •