Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    Merely a Setback Immortan Rich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Outer Heaven
    Posts
    25,319
    Perfectly normal to have a vegetarian pet thats supposed to be an omnivore (I had a vegetarian rat), but in my experience a dog that eats grass is doing so because it has an upset stomach.
    I am the Pied Piper of the Hunger Games, a simple man followed by a few dozen rats.

  2. #22
    The Lightbringer Hug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    JKL
    Posts
    3,372
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Perfectly normal to have a vegetarian pet thats supposed to be an omnivore (I had a vegetarian rat), but in my experience a dog that eats grass is doing so because it has an upset stomach.
    There are different levels of being an omnivore though, some can survive on either portion of the foodsource (veggies/meat) but some require both. It's quite a lot easier for rats to be vegetarians than dogs.

  3. #23
    LOAD"*",8,1 Fuzzzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Legion of Doom Headquarters
    Posts
    20,354
    Yeah, I've asked my vet about it in the past. They do it to help with digestion. Cats will do it too.

  4. #24
    Legendary! darenyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cho'gall (US)
    Posts
    6,753
    plant him a pot of wheatgrass, its better than whatever crap is on your lawn.

  5. #25
    Pretty much all carnivores will often eat grass.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    There are different levels of being an omnivore though, some can survive on either portion of the foodsource (veggies/meat) but some require both. It's quite a lot easier for rats to be vegetarians than dogs.
    Dogs are not considered omnivores. They generally prefer meat to the exclusion of all other food substances. Most professionals classify them more as opportunistic-scavengers. Present them with meat or veggies and in almost every case they will snub the veggies and go for the meat. Present them with veggies or dirt and well... hey veggies aren't so bad.

  7. #27
    The Lightbringer Hug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    JKL
    Posts
    3,372
    Quote Originally Posted by isuridedes View Post
    Dogs are not considered omnivores. They generally prefer meat to the exclusion of all other food substances. Most professionals classify them more as opportunistic-scavengers. Present them with meat or veggies and in almost every case they will snub the veggies and go for the meat. Present them with veggies or dirt and well... hey veggies aren't so bad.
    Well they're omnivores in the sense that they will eat both, and both provide necessary nutrients, but as my post hinted they are way more into meat than veggies, unlike rats provided in my quote. Feeding my dog pure BARF since 8 weeks old and he's thriving, I'd consider anyone feeding their dog purely vegetarian diet to be harming their pet, even if it is unintentional.

  8. #28
    Think your dog is stupid. :/

  9. #29
    Merely a Setback Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    27,043
    Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    Do you know by a chance any product that could work on dog like a grass? (yeah i live in contry and not all grass is healty due too pesticides)
    I do know he likes too eat this a lot:


    ....and if you leave him with this plant alone its gona go bye bye in 5 min .
    I haven't been able to figure out how to get that stuff to grow reliably in my apt.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Perfectly normal to have a vegetarian pet thats supposed to be an omnivore (I had a vegetarian rat), but in my experience a dog that eats grass is doing so because it has an upset stomach.
    I just cannot imagine how cool a vegetarian rat is. Did he wear like a monocle and talk fancy English?!

  11. #31
    Merely a Setback Immortan Rich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Outer Heaven
    Posts
    25,319
    Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    I just cannot imagine how cool a vegetarian rat is. Did he wear like a monocle and talk fancy English?!
    No, but despite being a vegetarian he was the biggest bully ever. He once trapped 5 other rats in the corner and beat the hell out of them all at the same time, vegetarians are crazy.
    I am the Pied Piper of the Hunger Games, a simple man followed by a few dozen rats.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •