Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Sasquatch seems to be real. No, really.

Probably the longest link I've ever seen.

So the gist of the story (as I understand it) is that DNA sequencing has been done on three separate samples purported to be Sasquatch DNA. Thus far, the geneticist doing the work says that the DNA is from a human/unknown hybrid. Pretty damned interesting.

Thoughts? Also, any legitimate scientists able to explain this better than me?
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I don't always wear tennis shoes, but when I do, I speak Russian. In French.

Deleted
    Until I see one in a zoo....It is all bullshit

Can't wait to see the peer review process tear this "study" a new one! In the meantime the cooks still have to wander the woods at night screaming off cliffs and psyching themselves out over owl hoots in order to, you know, actually find one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aalyy View Post
    Can't wait to see the peer review process tear this "study" a new one! In the meantime the cooks still have to wander the woods at night screaming off cliffs and psyching themselves out over owl hoots in order to, you know, actually find one.
    I'm generally inclined to agree, but if her credentials are to be believed...well, I don't know.
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I don't always wear tennis shoes, but when I do, I speak Russian. In French.

if its a human hybrid then whos been sleeping with the yeti guys O-O
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's the thing, I don't believe in Bigfoot, but if we found one I wouldn't be surprised.

Until I see one someone shot Im still on the fence.

Then there is the "I once thought I saw Sasquatch, but it was your momma" line.

Quote Originally Posted by KingHorse View Post
    I'm generally inclined to agree, but if her credentials are to be believed...well, I don't know.
    Well that's the beauty of science, your credentials mean jack shit, no matter even if you're Albert Einstein. The only thing matters is do you have evidence and can other scientists repeat your tests. Also even if this ancient human/unknown hybrid would turn out to be true, we shouldn't call it Bigfoot or Sasquatch because those names are commonly used for something that people have seen today, supposedly.
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2012-11-24 at 11:11 PM.

Sasquatch is supposed to be a type of Hominid/Great Ape native to the forest of North America. This doesn't happen. Why? Hominids and Bears compete for food sources, and in North America Bears rose to prominence — the food supply would not support a 'Sasquatch' species.
    One day I look forward to seeing full grown adults realize that their averse reactions to levity and positive/contemplative expressions of emotion are a cry for therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by Faerillis View Post
    Sasquatch is supposed to be a type of Hominid/Great Ape native to the forest of North America. This doesn't happen. Why? Hominids and Bears compete for food sources, and in North America Bears rose to prominence — the food supply would not support a 'Sasquatch' species.
    Which is why they are no more obviously!
    IGN Joe FC: 1908 - 0405 - 5213

My brother while on exercise in Norway swore blind he saw a yeti/bigfoot, thats good enough for me. Royal Marines don't lie for the sake of an ego.

Isn't there a scalp in Lukla Nepal of a *Yeti* which of all the tests done of it has not been identified at all?

Bears didn't "rise to prominence" over any hominid in North America. Sasquatch is not "native" to North America. If it exists, it likely came over the land-bridge from Asia during the last ice age like many other species. Many believe if it does exist, it's some kind of ape like gigantopithecus. I find it hard to believe simply because a breeding population of an 800lb ape would seem fairly easy to spot with our modern technology.

Quote Originally Posted by dracco4heads View Post
    Which is why they are no more obviously!
    Bears have been around longer than man has in North America, so maybe such an species of hominid would have not got the chance to rise to begin with. This is why there is no "true" native hominids in america, they all migrated there later on from elsewhere, when they had already developed to the apex predator prior to the migration.
    Royal Marines don't lie for the sake of an ego.
    There are many motives for lying. Besides what makes marines immune from having their senses confused?
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2012-11-25 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KingHorse View Post

Thoughts? Also, any legitimate scientists able to explain this better than me?
    Yes. As a legitimate scientist I can tell you its all BS.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it is a "sasquatch", it won't be like what we imagine it to be. Probably a slightly larger human/orangutan hominid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bigfoot resembled too much like an animal walking upright, mostly a bear or gorilla/chimp.

People in full-on fur can be mistaken for a bigfoot, especially your stereotypical "mountain man".

It's also possible Bigfoot is just some huge guy who suffers from the "werewolf" gene.

It's not that I think Bigfoot isn't real, it's just that the idea of Bigfoot being its own species highly suspect.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

Obviously this is Jack Black's father.

I dont believe in Sasquatch, and am no geneticists, but after reading the article it seems they have some rather solid evidence and, from my understanding, it probably would have taken either a major blunder for their results to be wrong, or wilful creation of bad data to support a hoax.

Quote Originally Posted by ImpTaimer View Post
    it's just that the idea of Bigfoot being its own species highly suspect.
    Outside this article, i agree with you. But they claim to have genetic material that has both human and other "distinctly non-human, non-archaic hominin, and non-ape sequence" DNA.
    Last edited by openair; 2012-11-25 at 12:21 AM.

Deleted
    It's just some press release. Wait for the real journal article before jumping to conclusions.

10+ Year Old Account
    This article is extremely vague in a number of areas, and the article has not even been published yet; I would hold off and assume that until more is brought forward, this is just someone looking for their five minutes of fortune.