Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Use your keyboard, man! So much faster. Either way, you can still right-click where the start bar used to be.
    Tetris are you using W8? I might be changing and trying to get used to it but the AI suite from Asus isn't updated for Win8 and I doubt if this would run perfect (z68 mobo)..

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurous View Post
    I miss my start menu so much. I'm still mousing over to the corner and clicking in one swift movement then going Now I have a really cluttered desktop and taskbar.
    http://code.google.com/p/power8/

---------- Post added 2012-11-29 at 07:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Tetris are you using W8? I might be changing and trying to get used to it but the AI suite from Asus isn't updated for Win8 and I doubt if this would run perfect (z68 mobo)..
    My GA-Z68XP-UD3 runs perfectly.

I updated to the beta UEFI system available for it (U1H atm) and it works flawlessly, actually better than before (I had an issue with sound levels being way too high in World of Warcraft and they are now perfect). The beta UEFI bios even works with Secure Boot and it allows me to fully disable the integrated GPU (something that the AWARD Bios did not).

THAT SAID, I heard there were some issues if you upgraded to UEFI while Windows is already installed. I powered down 7 for the last time, installed UEFI off a thumbdrive, then wiped the drive and installed 8. I heard some horror stories of users trying to install it with an Operating System currently in place (namely Win 7, haven't heard if the same is true with Win 8).
    Last edited by Simca; 2012-11-30 at 12:12 AM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

10+ Year Old Account
    i found that my computer starts way faster on W8 than W7 ever did from cold boot to log in screen in 4 seconds so much faster i'm loving it!

Windows 8 is a step in a direction of a more closed-off, controlled system. The worse windows 8 does, the better for the future of PC as a whole. Never touch it, for any reason. You'll regret it bitterly 10-20 years down the lane.

Quote Originally Posted by kivipää View Post
    Windows 8 is a step in a direction of a more closed-off, controlled system. The worse windows 8 does, the better for the future of PC as a whole. Never touch it, for any reason. You'll regret it bitterly 10-20 years down the lane.
    I actually kinda like metro (As a start menu, not as a concept) , the only thing it's missing is multiple desktop enviroments and microsoft knows fully well that if they dont deliver a good OS, nobody will stand their bull. I think they're currently trying to appeal to the person who doesnt do anything but browse social networks and listens to music or plays some casual games, honestly. They know that they need an edge over other operating systems - especially how linux poses the threat of an alternative platform for gamers. Honestly, it's not a bad OS , you can use it as much as you want to, the only way you'll help nudge microsoft in the metro direction is if you use their built-in store or services.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

I spend about ten seconds a day looking at my desktop or start menu, so I don't really mind either way.

I got windows 8 after using windows 7 for years and i hate it. A lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    , you can use it as much as you want to, the only way you'll help nudge microsoft in the metro direction is if you use their built-in store or services.
    Which millions upon millions will do because they don't understand the long term consequences.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Which millions upon millions will do because they don't understand the long term consequences.
    doubt it, the millions which will actually do indeed have interest in microsoft pushing in that direction, since they dont do any of the tasks that actually require desktop functionality.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

Here's how you should decide.
    1.Do you not like your computer OS to look like a computer OS?
    2. Would you rather it looked like a phone OS?
    3. Do you want to have a seizure just looking at your monitor?

If you answered yes to 1 or more of those you should try windows 8.
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiyld View Post
    I haven't seen anything positive about win 8, no one seems to like it. From business environments, to power users to novices no one seems to be able to figure out how to use it efficiently. My understanding is that even after a decent amount of time spent acclimating to it folks are still finding it really difficult to do the things they want to do, and find the things they want to find.
    So you've only read the whine threads about it. It's easy to use, it has more powerful search than windows 7, and the new keyboard shortcuts are wicked for any power user. The Metro UI is actually quite nice after you set it up to your liking. Most people whining about the Windows 8 and it's UI only tried some RTM version quickly and never bothered to actually learn it. So far only negative sides I've noticed with Windows 8 are some old games that won't run anymore.

I prefer 7 due to the whole Start menu issue (personal more than factual).

Deleted
    Isn't the metro UI practically just a full-screen start menu? Is there anything that's actually bad about W8, or are people just allergic to change as usual?

10+ Year Old Account
    from someone that has experience with windows 7, win 8 has a lot of win 7 "components" in the core with a new UI/skin. There are some issue with Metro Apps but hopefully most issues will be resolved by the next service pack. That being said...I find win 8 ... awkward without a tablet. It is nice and shiny...but there is nothing major win 8 adds for me that I'd suggest to upgrade the pc's at work. Office 365 and skydrive is a different story but that works with windows 7 so in my professional opinion unless you have a tablet....no need to go get windows 8. If you really want it...hold off till a service pack/patch comes out to fix some of the issues with metro apps

Quote Originally Posted by Mest View Post
    Isn't the metro UI practically just a full-screen start menu?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Mest View Post
    or are people just allergic to change as usual?
    and yes
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

I'd go for Win8. One day you'll have to advance onto it and if you're new to Windows definitely go for the latest thing. Takes all of about 30mins to work out where things are compared to win7, maybe longer from another OS, and if you're a keyboard shortcut kind of person (like me) then its much faster to navigate than win7. Also loads much faster than win7 did. Its had no effect on how well games run but with my PC getting old now I didn't expect it too. Also a much MUCH better search function, that made things a lot less painless. Really shines if you have two monitors the apps and so forth make a lot more sense on a PC if you have two, otherwise I'd do what others in the thread have done and revert back to a more traditional windows style with a start menu etc.