Question answered. Please Delete Thanks.

Question Answered thanks.
    Last edited by FusedMass; 2012-11-27 at 05:08 AM.

Not supposed to trade things in game for real life things at all. TOR will probably ban you (or them, whoever) honestly.

15+ Year Old Account
    You effectively made a verbal contract, if they have proof with in game logs about this then TOR & the police both have a valid case to do what ever they feel is necessary.

This 'friend' of yours sounds like an asshole btw.

Quote Originally Posted by ShiShun View Post
    Not supposed to trade things in game for real life things at all. TOR will probably ban you (or them, whoever) honestly.
    What if person A claims it was stolen. But it was shown was input ed and let's say person B denies stealing it. They really can't figure out whoever is telling the truth and TOR can't ban because he said or she said. Leaves me to wonder is there ANYTHING the person can do?

10+ Year Old Account
    Regardless of whether they can prove it or not, your friend is a thief.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    Regardless of whether they can prove it or not, your friend is a thief.
    I understand the moral of the whole situation. But can anything be done? can the police really show up if he calls them and go over there for a game card. I know it sounds weird but some games have a bunch of time to plot revenge or if they complain to TOR. Can they actually do anything about it. He has persons number but its a pre paid cell phone he never uses.

Quote Originally Posted by FusedMass View Post
    What if person A claims it was stolen. But it was shown was input ed and let's say person B denies stealing it. They really can't figure out whoever is telling the truth and TOR can't ban because he said or she said. Leaves me to wonder is there ANYTHING the person can do?
    TOR can ban a user for any reason or no reason at all, part of the TOS. Also, the proof would come from wherever the agreement was made. If the agreement was made in game chat then TOR has a record of that. If it was made out of game than it is very possible person B could record or otherwise gather proof of the verbal contract. Depending on the specific country fraud and theft charges are possible but not likely, and if person B wanted to be as big an asshole as person A is being, then they could subpoena Bioware for person A's information and sue person A in small claims court (at least in the US, not sure about other countries)
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

Quote Originally Posted by Arcilux View Post
    TOR can ban a user for any reason or no reason at all, part of the TOS. Also, the proof would come from wherever the agreement was made. If the agreement was made in game chat then TOR has a record of that. If it was made out of game than it is very possible person B could record or otherwise gather proof of the verbal contract. Depending on the specific country fraud and theft charges are possible but not likely, and if person B wanted to be as big an asshole as person A is being, then they could subpoena Bioware for person A's information and sue person A in small claims court (at least in the US, not sure about other countries)

Thank you. The fraud thing is something to worry about. But I think they'd have to go in to the city where the fraud was at and then make a report and then it would weeks later be followed up on. I was curious if they could just call the police in the town the person lives in and have the police arrest them. TOR can ban anyone but they'd need proof and it was bought at Wall Mart not with a credit card so hard pin point that down.
    Last edited by FusedMass; 2012-11-27 at 05:09 AM.

Also rare, but possible, there have been cases of people tracking down trolls and scammers in real life and straight up murdering them. I can't find the story right now, but there was one a couple years ago, some FPS game and the guy got pissed off, spent months figuring out who the other player was in real life and then killed him. People are crazy and your friend has no way of knowing just who is on the other side of that screen. They could be pissing off the worst person in the world
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

10+ Year Old Account
    I understand the moral of the whole situation. But can anything be done? can the police really show up if he calls them and go over there for a game card. I know it sounds weird but some games have a bunch of time to plot revenge or if they complain to TOR. Can they actually do anything about it. He has persons number but its a pre paid cell phone he never uses.
    Most MMOs will cooperate with authorities (give them details about who a person is based on their account), but I doubt they would do so for something like this. Starting that kind of president in which an MMO gives out personal information based solely on an entirely unprovable accusation (I can't think of any way he can really prove this whole situation and the theft reasonably unless he wished to dedicate sizable amounts of money and time to doing so assuming that the thief didn't broadcast his real identity, so I'll assume it’s entirely unprovable) would cause a uproar among the gaming community after the first time it was done wrongly and spawn no end of false accusations (THAT GUY KILLED ME AN IN A BATTLEGROUND, IMA SAY HE STOLE A GAME TIME CARD BECAUSE IM MAD kinda thing). Highly doubtful anything would actually be done regardlss of the fact that a theft did occur.
    Last edited by DEATHETERNAL; 2012-11-25 at 05:08 AM.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Saw a very similar story in the SWTOR forums, I supose your "nice" friend is the one mentioned in there. Not sure how it works at your country but I bet legal actions can be done indeed. Its thiefery (if thats the word) so I bet it applies to most places in the world. He has his phone number and there are numerous ways to track and even check the conversation (both in game and by telephone). Personally never saw such stupidity over a a game card. Being sued and even going to jail for 30 bucks is sad. I bet in jail they all love mmo players anyways...
    English is not my main language so grammar errors might happen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiShun View Post
    okay, question got deleted and this is an answer to it. first thing I thought was some kind of sex trade lol Oo

Was he asking for smexual favors?