10+ Year Old Account

Is it bad to manually set gpu fan speeds?

My card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127555

My case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119233

Normally it idles around 40-60°C (currently 54°C as I post this) and the fan speed is 25-27%. However, when I play games(like WoW, Skyrim, Borderlands 2, Planetside 2, TOR, ME3, League, etc.) it will rise up to around 65-75°C and the fan speed's around 30%. At this point I usually manually set the speed to 40% and the temperature gets to around 55-65°C across pretty much any game I play with max settings.

My question is, am I killing my card by doing this or should I not worry about the temperature as much?
    Last edited by Ryuji; 2012-11-25 at 07:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakpoth View Post
    I find it unreasonable to ask for other than obvious reasons, when the reason obviously is the obvious reason.
    Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch.../dalaran/ryuji

Song that's currently stuck in my head: pretty much anything from Dance With the Dead

No, you are completely safe in that regard.
    Heat, dust and static electricity are the only things you should be worried about for killing your GPU. (or a voltage spike if you overclock it)

You could set it up further and be fine, as long as your ears can stand it; Personally I've set my GPU to idle at 10% (34°C) and to go up to 33% at full load (60°C). This is with a triple-slot cooler though, and I'm more noise-sensitive than temperature-worried.

Deleted
    also part of don't worry too much about temps (most gpu temps got a thermal limit of 105-110 degrees celcius)
    65-75 is nothing to worry about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would it be bad? I have mine run 100% 24/7. GPU's can handle a lot of heat, more than you think. I personally don't like them getting over 85c.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwarren View Post
    It's a no brainer. Get MW3, Skyrim is just a rehash of Oblivion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neezh View Post
    Because I'm brave enough to smoke. I see no point in quitting

Deleted
    My previous GPU (8800 GTX) ran at around 95 degrees idle, then dropped to around 90 when I was playing games. I asked nvidia about this and they said it would be fine up to like 120-130C. I wouldn't worry about the temperature too much. Unless there's a lot of noise and you think you can reduce it by manually tweaking the settings, just leave it alone I'd say

You shouldnt have any problem, I manually set my fan speeds according to usage.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

You shouldn't have any issues as long as make sure that it isnt getting full of dust. But alot, not all, GPU cooling fans are rated for somthing like 100,000 hours at 100% before failing. So, unless you plan on running it that high for 11 years, give or take, you should be fine. I have a pair of Omega headsets and have always ran my 6990's at 100% during gaming and have yet to have a issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dust my computer probably once a month or around that so dust shouldn't be an issue. Thanks all for the responses though. I'll keep doin' what I'm doin' then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakpoth View Post
    I find it unreasonable to ask for other than obvious reasons, when the reason obviously is the obvious reason.
    Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch.../dalaran/ryuji

Song that's currently stuck in my head: pretty much anything from Dance With the Dead