Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DakonBlackblade View Post
    Well C'thun was imortal it doesnt count. HE wasnt balanced correctly it was 100% impossiible to kill him until they fixed this problem. A lot fo the bosses on the top of the list share similar situation, the to Vanila atrociously bad balancing issues.
    Didn't some guild kill him right before he was nerfed though?

Excellent list. I think it gives a much better scale of difficulties by measuring the time from when the previous boss was downed, instead of when the raid opened which I see most of the time.

I suppose that you argue that C'thun and Ouro are an exception because they needed to be tweaked before they were possible.

I would like to see an honorable mention to Paragons' unbuffed Heroic LK kill. Because you could argue that the 10/20/30% instance buff was an indirect nerf to the encounter. I also believe they did it without using Heroic LK loot too, can anyone confirm?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dotcha View Post
    I would like to see an honorable mention to Paragons' unbuffed Heroic LK kill. Because you could argue that the 10/20/30% instance buff was an indirect nerf to the encounter. I also believe they did it without using Heroic LK loot too, can anyone confirm?
    I could be wrong, but to my knowledge when they went back for the 0% kill they used the Heroic LK loot they had obtained.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by meroes View Post
    Didn't some guild kill him right before he was nerfed though?
    No.
    And he wasn't "nerfed" he was fixed. He had major unintended bugs that made him 100% literally unkillable. He died within hours after the bug fix in his intended state

I don't see a 100 man level 1 gnome hogger raid. This list is invalid

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness View Post
    I could be wrong, but to my knowledge when they went back for the 0% kill they used the Heroic LK loot they had obtained.
    This. Not even sure if it were them, but the first kill happend with 5% and I think on the final day or something similar.

7+ Year Old Account
    Back in vanilla/BC, raids were released in a SEVERELY unfinished state. A lot of bosses were actually impossible to beat (like C'thun). It wasn't until bugs/mechanics were fixed that they became beatable, and they were beaten VERY quickly after those patches.

Raids nowadays are MUCH MUCH more "finished" than they were back in those days. I seriously doubt Blizzard would release a raid that has bosses that are not possible to beat like they did then.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitros14 View Post
    What's biased about it? That is exactly how long those bosses remained unkilled. It's not like it's trying to measure difficulty.

There's been cases of that for a long time. For example, guilds were stuck on Four Horsemen (not a particularly gear intensive fight) for eight weeks and had forever to gear up before finally getting to Kel'Thuzad and gear blasting him.

Guilds went in quite undergeared in Cataclysm for the most part, leading to Ragnaros and others' long time unkilled. Who knows what the blizzard pendulum of balance will decree for the next tier.

I feel like Yogg-Saron and Four Horsemen were the only two fights where guilds were legitimately like "how the hell do we do this?".
    I just feel like I had to pitch in on this one (bolded part) The main reason four horsemen were a bitch was BECAUSE it was a gear intensive fight, you needed 8 tanks with the best gear available more or less, DnT didn't kill them until they had 6 tanks with with 7/9 Dreadnaught, the last one being 5/9 I believe
    Secondly, anyone preaching raiding was harder back then is delusional, just take the LFR Molten Core for instance, how tactically challenging are those bosses? most vanilla bosses only had 3 abilities to watch out for, with the end bosses having 5ish.
    This of course was compensated with insane damage output (I remember Ragnaros meleeing our tank for about 70% of his HP, if not blocked)
    Oh and of course the artificial gating, (Ragnaros time-limited attempts, can't remember if it was 1 or 2 hours, BWL needing everyone to have the onyxia cloak, Huhurans pathetic nature resistance requirements, so on so forth)

Quote Originally Posted by Pigy View Post
    I just feel like I had to pitch in on this one (bolded part) The main reason four horsemen were a bitch was BECAUSE it was a gear intensive fight, you needed 8 tanks with the best gear available more or less, DnT didn't kill them until they had 6 tanks with with 7/9 Dreadnaught, the last one being 5/9 I believe
    That's not quite accurate. Four Horsemen could be killed with an 8 tank strategy with the tanks in little better than Wrath. They didn't hit particularly hard and the dps requirement was low for a Naxxramas boss. If you wanted to kill it with 6 tanks, you needed to be assured that you would never get a taunt resist because a resist would mean a wipe to mark of the horsemen. 4 piece Dreadnaught was +15% hit chance to taunt. Thus came the "You need every tank in 4/9 dreadnaught!" myth.

Also Molten Core and Naxxramas are worlds apart strategy wise. The worst guilds in the world could clear Molten Core (and then die to Razorgore endlessly).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DakonBlackblade View Post
    Well C'thun was imortal it doesnt count. HE wasnt balanced correctly it was 100% impossiible to kill him until they fixed this problem. A lot fo the bosses on the top of the list share similar situation, the to Vanila atrociously bad balancing issues.
    Still some guilds brought him down to very low hp. to make the chain not latch.

You dont have any idea he was broken yes, was he unkillable? no he was not but hard as HELL.

Deleted
    That's not quite accurate. Four Horsemen could be killed with an 8 tank strategy with the tanks in little better than Wrath. They didn't hit particularly hard and the dps requirement was low for a Naxxramas boss. If you wanted to kill it with 6 tanks, you needed to be assured that you would never get a taunt resist because a resist would mean a wipe to mark of the horsemen. 4 piece Dreadnaught was +15% hit chance to taunt. Thus came the "You need every tank in 4/9 dreadnaught!" myth.
    You're not accurate either. 4 piece Dreadnaught only increased chance to hit by 5%, while base miss chance was 17%. Thus each taunt still had a 12% chance to miss, making a 6 tank strategy extremely risky. It was doable, but frustrating when it went wrong because the fight was so long. Tanks in our guild actually used the Nat Pagle's Broken Reel from ZG on cooldown to reduce the RNG but it still wasn't 100% safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Daear View Post
    You're not accurate either. 4 piece Dreadnaught only increased chance to hit by 5%, while base miss chance was 17%. Thus each taunt still had a 12% chance to miss, making a 6 tank strategy extremely risky. It was doable, but frustrating when it went wrong because the fight was so long. Tanks in our guild actually used the Nat Pagle's Broken Reel from ZG on cooldown to reduce the RNG but it still wasn't 100% safe.
    Yeah you're right. Not many fights these days go 20+ minutes like that anymore.

How long did OS 3 drake 10 man last, I remember that being a bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzah View Post
    Still some guilds brought him down to very low hp. to make the chain not latch.

You dont have any idea he was broken yes, was he unkillable? no he was not but hard as HELL.
    Considering nobody killed him while he was bugged, that still qualifies as "unkillable."

There's no mental gymnastics that's going to change that.

That's beside the fact the original list assumed people were even attempting a forked path boss at the time.
    Last edited by arcaneshot; 2015-01-22 at 06:04 AM.

Pretty much a list of buggiest or most overtuned bosses.

It's idiotic to hold up days until killed as a measure of boss quality. I could take Mythic Kargath Bladefist, increase his HP by 50% and voila, he'll never be beaten in his raid tier. Best boss ever amirite?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    One of the key reasons things took much longer to die back when was because there was much less gear to go around. The ability to overgear your failures (which even the top guilds do) has vastly increased with every expansion. Back in Vanilla the bosses dropped 3 pieces of loot per 40 people, with no bonus rolls and negligible BoE gear to flesh out your set with. Which is one of the reasons Horsemen was such a pain, because it required you to gear up several new tanks which previously (and after) had never been needed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Pretty much a list of buggiest or most overtuned bosses.

It's idiotic to hold up days until killed as a measure of boss quality. I could take Mythic Kargath Bladefist, increase his HP by 50% and voila, he'll never be beaten in his raid tier. Best boss ever amirite?
    Don't think that'd cut it for Mythic Kargath atm. Give butcher an extra 50% of hp and he'll stand the test of time though.

I half wonder if Paragon today could've killed the hilarious original incarnation of C'thun with the tentacles spawning in the stomach.
    Maybe if Naxx gear had been available, LOL.

Well put it in the books. Blast Furnace makes the list.

Well put it in the books. Blast Furnace makes the list.
    Which is still running under the assumption that people are actively trying to beat that after beating Oregorger, which by all indications didn't really happen (see: Iron Maidens).

Quote Originally Posted by arcaneshot View Post
    Which is still running under the assumption that people are actively trying to beat that after beating Oregorger, which by all indications didn't really happen (see: Iron Maidens).
    It's not under that assumption at all. It was available to be killed and wasn't for 5 days, just like everything else on the list.