Is this a decent desktop?

Disclaimer: I am not a PC building guy, nor am I tech savy when it comes to tinkering. So I've been trying to find a decent deal on a full PC system for a while now, which has largely been fruitless as I don't want to risk one of those CyberpowerPC or ibuypower things dying on me (they all seem to have bad reviews), and every other maker seems to want to use low grade graphics like the 7470s or integrated.

But anyways, I saw this up on Best Buy, and was wondering how good it looks: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alienwar...&skuId=6912556

Now yes, it is Alienware, which is generally overpriced. And yes it's the X51, which means there's no real upgrading to it (which I probably wouldn't do much of anyways). But at the same time, I mean this packs a Nvidia GeForce GTX660, which is more than what normally overpriced Alienwares have and better than any other graphics card I've seen in most pre-built systems, and it should play pretty much anything on Ultra settings being one of the better graphics cards right? The only thing I don't know too much about is the CPU and it only having 6gb of ram, but still for only $879, it seems like a decent deal. So I mean, for a guy with semi-cramped living quarters and no real know-how of building/tinkering, is this something that could last me for a decent while while providing a good gaming experience?

Not sure what you heard bad about ibuypower, i bought a computer last year with them and its still running strong with my little bro on it contantly. But really, alienware is overrated and really over priced. But since you don't have or want to build your own computer its not all that bad. But you should know that the X51 has been known to have some heat issues and runs extremely hot. But check out your local Comp USA or tigerdirect store, they usually sell DIY kits they'll put together for you or some cheap towers you can buy

15+ Year Old Account
    I would consider looking at something made by Asus.

Also, it's smart to stay away from iBuyPower. The issue with them is that their parts are cheap (which is why you can get their PCs for cheap )

check if xmx can send systems for u they are easily the best price/power systems for gaming u can get complete ;X or ask a friend to build u one from parts ^^

Anime-List
    Hearthstone: Inngrimsch #2408
    Steam
    LoL

I just build my own system together with a mate that knows a lot more than me, but I wouldnt buy it, and I don't think you will be able to run anything on ultra, wow for sure but not everything. I don't like that graphics card so much, there is a lot of cheap 2gb options around now that run at marvellous frequencies. The 6gb ram should be upgradable but you wouldnt need much more than the 8gb I have unless you want to do multiboxing. What country are you in, there should be better options from an online store that lets you pick components and then assembles them for you for a fee. But I ' ll let some others voice there opinions as well. I wouldn't get this thing.
    Going to McDonalds for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug.

Quote Originally Posted by Lirdax View Post
    Not sure what you heard bad about ibuypower, i bought a computer last year with them and its still running strong with my little bro on it contantly. But really, alienware is overrated and really over priced. But since you don't have or want to build your own computer its not all that bad. But you should know that the X51 has been known to have some heat issues and runs extremely hot. But check out your local Comp USA or tigerdirect store, they usually sell DIY kits they'll put together for you or some cheap towers you can buy
    Mmm...I thought CompUSA went out of business like several years ago? Certainly I don't remember the last time I saw a store open where I live...

But I dunno, mostly all the reviews out there I've read for ibuypower and cyberpowerpc are bad with mainly complaints of them being badly put together, I mean I'm sure some probably arrive just fine, but I dunno if I want to risk it as its not something I can fix. I don't suppose setting up the X51 in a nice ventilated area will do much for making it cooler though?

@ Eowenn it's funny you should mention Asus, my laptop happens to be an Asus. And it does still work fine after almost 4 years (with a bit of slowing down naturally), but it's just now too old to really play much besides like WoW on the lowest settings adequately. Like when I tried playing SWTOR on it, even on the lowest settings FPS were just horrid. So it's definitely time to look for something with some oomph to it while keeping the Asus around as a travel option.

@ Guldur, I live out in the US, would be interested in what sites let you pick out parts and assembles them for you if that could be a better option.

Check out DigitalStormonline.com, I have bought 3 computers from them over the last 5 years and haven't had any problems. You can customize what you want and it's not much more than parts cost. They also usually have 1-3 year warranties and they do a 72 hours stress test before they ship it to make sure everything is in good working order. Can usually get stuff overclocked for free as well.
    Last edited by Uglyfoot; 2012-11-25 at 09:19 AM.

I guess the other thing to consider is that tomorrow will be Cyber Monday as well and I'm not sure how long this BB deal will even last...is there even anything good out there for Cyber Monday? Haven't seen much in the way of adds for those.

Edit: Scratch that, I guess this is actually part of BB's whole Cyber Monday sale from Sun-Mon.
    Last edited by xezar; 2012-11-25 at 09:59 AM.

[QUOTE=xezar;19208889]Mmm...I thought CompUSA went out of business like several years ago? Certainly I don't remember the last time I saw a store open where I live...

But I dunno, mostly all the reviews out there I've read for ibuypower and cyberpowerpc are bad with mainly complaints of them being badly put together, I mean I'm sure some probably arrive just fine, but I dunno if I want to risk it as its not something I can fix. I don't suppose setting up the X51 in a nice ventilated area will do much for making it cooler though?

Tigerdirect bought out Comp USA years ago o.O;;. But to answer the heating question, no. Your putting really high heat producing CPU/memory/GPU in a tiny case with what, 2 fans? There's DIY stuff you can do to the case which i'm pretty sure would void the warranty

[QUOTE=Lirdax;19212307]
    Quote Originally Posted by xezar View Post
    Mmm...I thought CompUSA went out of business like several years ago? Certainly I don't remember the last time I saw a store open where I live...

Tigerdirect bought out Comp USA years ago o.O;;. But to answer the heating question, no. Your putting really high heat producing CPU/memory/GPU in a tiny case with what, 2 fans? There's DIY stuff you can do to the case which i'm pretty sure would void the warranty
    Eh once the warranty is up though, could always transplant the parts into a bigger case also couldn't I? If I ever worked up the courage to do that lol.

Seeing as how an equivalent (although probably higher quality) build is about $850, it seems like a good buy.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus P8H77-I Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($217.55 @ Newegg)
    Case: BitFenix Prodigy (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case ($94.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($79.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $848.44
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-25 14:49 EST-0500)

Well I ended up going another route if anyone cares, looked around more on Cyber Monday and saw a pretty slick Maingear deal for $999 which came with the same graphics, but better CPU (i5 3750k), Windows 7, and bundled with a 19" monitor (which while I had a monitor, was an older one), 3 games (most interestingly Assassin's Creed 3) and logitech keyboard, mouse, and speakers. So even though they also charged a pretty hefty price for shipping (though considering how expensive shipping can be for heavy stuff, didn't feel as bad), thought it was overall the better deal so went with it.