Warlock - Quick Question

I have played a level 80 lock in wrath.
    As such I may not be correct as to the current playstyle of locks.
    During wrath, I leveled aff with vw as pet (for questing).
    I used to DOT the mobs while VW held the aggro and rinse-repeated all the way to 80.
    Destro was not quite leveling-friendly early on and this slow style of killing mobs I grew to dislike after playing with my mage.
    My question is : Do warlocks still rely on "send-the-pet-while-you-dot" playstyle now or can they burst a mob like a mage from early levels?
    Last edited by vpywow; 2012-11-26 at 02:50 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vpywow View Post
    I used to DOT the mobs while VW held the aggro and rinse-repeated all the way to 80.
    Destro was not quite leveling-friendly early on and this slow style of killing mobs I grew to dislike after playing with my mage.
    My question is : Do warlocks still rely on "send-the-pet-while-you-dot" playstyle now or can they burst a mob like a mage ?
    I leveled mostly without a pet in pandaria. But I did use a pet for any "tough" mobs.

My question is : Do warlocks still rely on "send-the-pet-while-you-dot" playstyle now or can they burst a mob like a mage from early levels?
    I've been leveling my 85 lock as destro and haven't found it to be slow at all, I immolate everything, throw rain of fires everywhere, and just aoe them all down with f&b+conflag/incinerate in seconds. I have a voidwalker out, but he can't tank everything I pull.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my personal experience destro is fast when killing mobs while leveling/doing dailies, while affliction always seemed to be the slow spec because most dots don't really get to the point where they do a lot of damage because the mobs die before that point. But I guess you can always pull and dot more mobs. Can't tell you anything about PVP though, sorry.

As for raids, affliction is very fun and i like it. Demonology is not really my thing, so I can not talk about that.

IMHO the most confortable way to level a lock up is as demo with dark apotheosis and a wrathguard with soul link. you never die. you can agroo 5-10 mobs and AoE them with immolation aura and wrathstorm till they die.

edit: that's not just for levelling. DA is great for dailies, soloing old content and scenarios. it's kinda slow if you try to kill mobs one at a time, but it's really fast paced if you grab a lot of mobs.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Aff is only good for leveling when the mobs last long enough for your dots to tick properly. If that's not the case go demo or destro.
    I personally prefer demo since you can turn into DA stance and aggro the hole zone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Any spec + Void Lord = Easy levelling.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Any spec + Void Lord = Easy levelling.
    ^This

/10 chars
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Deleted
    SB:SS Mob's 1, 2 ,3 and 4.
    Drain soul mob with lowest health. rinse repeat.
    Use voidy if mobs start to reach you, or are particularly difficult (usually rares only, maybe a end of line quest mob)
    if done correctly, you can literally not stop pulling till you feel ready to stop. None of this waiting for embers or gaining demonic fury

Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    SB:SS Mob's 1, 2 ,3 and 4.
    Drain soul mob with lowest health. rinse repeat.
    Use voidy if mobs start to reach you, or are particularly difficult (usually rares only, maybe a end of line quest mob)
    if done correctly, you can literally not stop pulling till you feel ready to stop. None of this waiting for embers or gaining demonic fury
    Every bit this. When I was leveling I was nonstop throwing SB:SS everywhere. Some say mobs don't last long enough, and while in jade forest or Vot4W mobs might die pretty fast, once you get out of those 2 zones their health goes up quite a bit and takes more to bring them down. I'm working on my 2nd lock right now, also going as afflic with voidlord, and the only thing slowing me down is that it's a PvP server.

A great example of never having to stop as afflic: farming skyshards for Alani, killing the sprites at Mistfall Village I can SB:SS 4 of them, drain one as it dies, SB:SS 4 more, and just keep going like this forever. I generally have anywhere between 5 and 10 sprites that I've pulled at a time, and with soul link on my voidlord and glyph of soul consumption (20% heal after something dies while channeling drain soul) I never even have to stop to heal him.