Thread: Getting new GPU

Question Getting new GPU

Hello guys.
    I think the time to upgrade has come since my gpu can barely stand new games nowadays. I use my pc mostly for games and movies, sometimes for CAD modelling. I'm using 23" LG M2352D-PZ IPS monitor.

That's my current build:
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 260 SSC edition
    MOBO: Asus m4a79-T Deluxe
    RAM: OCZ ddr3 (2x 2048 MB) 1333 MHz Reaper
    HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 640 GB
    PSU: BeQuiet Dark Power P7-PRO 750W
    CASE: NZXT Tempest
    CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-U12P SE2

A friend of mine recommended Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 OC 2GB but he also mentioned that it might be better to push a budget a little and go Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB. Is the Ti version worth extra 50$?
    Or shall i go even further and consider getting GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 Windforce for triple cooling?

any advice are most welcome.

greets, Eris
    Last edited by Erisdar; 2012-11-25 at 10:39 AM.

Deleted
    Ti part is worth it, evga signature, asus or zotac AMP are pretty much the best 660Ti cards out there atm.

You can see a comparison of the GTX 660 Ti and 670 here. Don't get the 660, it is not worth the price.

Deleted
    ASUS DirectCU II 670 GTX is amazing for the price. If you're going 660Ti, try to get the same model. DirectCU series has incredibly cooling, very silent even under full load.

Thanks for the replies !
    I decided to buy 660 Ti + SSD for the extra cash saved from 670, guess that'll add some improvements

Any suggestion on which SSD should I get? I was thinking about 60 or 120 GB just for system and wow/swtor

I run the Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce factory OC. The thing is amazing. Has not blinked an eye at any game I have thrown at it so far.

Gonna be hard to get a decent SSD for the price difference between a 660 and 670. They are still not that cheap for any decent size capacity. While this is not an indication of the quality of all SSDs. I have had 2 fairly priced ones, and both have had major problems. Several others in my current guild have also had issues with them.

IMO, until they become more stable. You are better off buying a better GPU over saving a few seconds on load times. =P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Erisdar View Post
    Thanks for the replies !
    I decided to buy 660 Ti + SSD for the extra cash saved from 670, guess that'll add some improvements

Any suggestion on which SSD should I get? I was thinking about 60 or 120 GB just for system and wow/swtor
    got a budget for the ssd?

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    got a budget for the ssd?
    around 100$

Deleted
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820167121
    i know a small bit over budget but well worth it for an intel ssd in sheer speed and being very reliable.
    else look at samsung 830 if they are cheap enough but personally not a fan of samsung as a brand.

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820167121
    i know a small bit over budget but well worth it for an intel ssd in sheer speed and being very reliable.
    else look at samsung 830 if they are cheap enough but personally not a fan of samsung as a brand.
    thank you, I'll look into it ^^
    greets

If you want a big game like wow on the SSD you will need 120GB.

The crucial M4 is often recommend while OCZ are usually avoided.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dj
    your a Gnome, how the heck does it feel to suck that badly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtacle
    Gnomes are awesome, and piss people off, how does it feel to die to a tiny pink puffball?

Uhm your CPU is going to bottleneck a gtx 670 for sure. So you won't see full performance of it because the cpu is going to hold back. Games like minecraft you shouldn't have a bottleneck at all so it varies from game to game.

You can reduce the bottleneck by overclocking your CPU which should make a big difference in FPS.