1. #1

    Help with phone networks? Buying new phone. (One X)

    Ello guys, now i've got some semantic problems with smartphones, I'm currently using my old-old-old HD2, and While it's a good smartphone is some respects, I want a device that's a bit higher specs-wise. My current most likely and least expensive choice is the HTC one X. I've got a few questions :


    The HTC ONE X:

    How's the battery life, what's the avarage amount of screen time i should hope to get with it and what're the biggest battery drainers for this phone?
    What versions are europe-compatible? I want an unlocked device compatible with 3g gsm networks, are there any models i should avoid?

    In general, what phones should i expect to be compatible with the europeian networks, I know that CDMA phones are out of the question due to using ESN, but what GSM phones are compatible, is the newly released Droid DNA compatible with 3g euro networks, for example?
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

  2. #2
    I am Murloc! Bananarepublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,215
    I can't answer those questions, but are you getting a One X or One X+? If the + is slightly more expensive you could get that, if you want.

    It has some minor improvements but hey why not get the best you can.

  3. #3
    My opinions

    The htc one x has quadcore which is overkill and useless in my view. Phones don't really have cpu intensive tasks but sometimes the GPU even holds back (in gaming).

    Just to check the CPU, gpu & battery life benchmarks to give you a view (also htc one x+) -> http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/3237...-revolutionary

    The iphone 5 really seems to be the best especially in browsing, gaming it's a boss and batterylife.

    Well did you ever hear about the HTC Deluxe DLX? I really loved the design and especially the screen which is a Full HD 1080p. It should come out around 10 january and yes they will release it very soon because HTC is really in need of money..

    Also I'm reading its Droid DNA compatible. I don't know what that is so I'm sorry.

    Check here

    http://be.hardware.info/nieuws/31636...-dlx-opgedoken

  4. #4
    I am Murloc! Bananarepublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,215
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    My opinions

    The htc one x has quadcore which is overkill and useless in my view. Phones don't really have cpu intensive tasks but sometimes the GPU even holds back (in gaming).

    Just to check the CPU, gpu & battery life benchmarks to give you a view (also htc one x+) -> http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/3237...-revolutionary

    The iphone 5 really seems to be the best especially in browsing, gaming it's a boss and batterylife.

    Well did you ever hear about the HTC Deluxe DLX? I really loved the design and especially the screen which is a Full HD 1080p. It should come out around 10 january and yes they will release it very soon because HTC is really in need of money..

    Also I'm reading its Droid DNA compatible. I don't know what that is so I'm sorry.

    Check here

    http://be.hardware.info/nieuws/31636...-dlx-opgedoken
    No, a quadcore is fine and not useless or overkill at all.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    No, a quadcore is fine and not useless or overkill at all.
    It depends from person to person.

    The HTC One S (dual-core) Black which performs the same in browser the benchmark as the HTC One X (quadcore) - Check here http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/3237...he-competition

    I'm kinda now a bit confused about this. The One S seems to be performing better in GPU apps than the HTC one X?

    http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/3237...ce-unsurpassed

    Possibly Android isn't properly optimized for a quadcore or HTC didn't do it?

    Looking to performance in ratio with Battery life, the HTC one S is doing better.

    Remind that the One S is using a 1650mAh battery while the X version uses a battery with more power..

  6. #6
    Fluffy Kitten Badpaladin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    ccaarrrrllllll
    Posts
    11,090
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Possibly Android isn't properly optimized for a quadcore or HTC didn't do it?
    It's hard to say. In some apps tasks are "forced" into using as many cores as possible, when that distribution of work (and the resulting computations done) ends up taking more time, and it could be that the Android system does some stuff like that as well. I'm betting money on 4.1 and 4.2 being far better about this than <=4.0, but that's just speculation. The end result is still the same, though - Android is not tailor-made for each device, so performance takes a hit in a totally not consistent way from device to device. Luckily hardware (and software) is good enough to make it mostly not noticeable.
    My Short Required Reading List: One. Two. || Last.fm

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    It depends from person to person.

    The HTC One S (dual-core) Black which performs the same in browser the benchmark as the HTC One X (quadcore) - Check here http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/3237...he-competition

    I'm kinda now a bit confused about this. The One S seems to be performing better in GPU apps than the HTC one X?

    http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/3237...ce-unsurpassed

    Possibly Android isn't properly optimized for a quadcore or HTC didn't do it?

    Looking to performance in ratio with Battery life, the HTC one S is doing better.

    Remind that the One S is using a 1650mAh battery while the X version uses a battery with more power..
    I reckon that it's a software thing. Google uses the tegra 3 on their nexus 7 and nobody seems to complain and everyone says that it gets excellent battery life. I'm expecting that to be the case when you put jellybean on it, but i'm still curious how people find the b.life.


    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    My opinions

    The htc one x has quadcore which is overkill and useless in my view. Phones don't really have cpu intensive tasks but sometimes the GPU even holds back (in gaming).

    Just to check the CPU, gpu & battery life benchmarks to give you a view (also htc one x+) -> http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/3237...-revolutionary

    The iphone 5 really seems to be the best especially in browsing, gaming it's a boss and batterylife.

    Well did you ever hear about the HTC Deluxe DLX? I really loved the design and especially the screen which is a Full HD 1080p. It should come out around 10 january and yes they will release it very soon because HTC is really in need of money..

    Also I'm reading its Droid DNA compatible. I don't know what that is so I'm sorry.

    Check here

    http://be.hardware.info/nieuws/31636...-dlx-opgedoken
    The iPhone 5 is too small, too fragile and far too expensive to even consider for what i consider to be a marginal improvment in the app ecosystem. Also, no root capabilities.

    The DLX is the europeian version which will probably cost me quite a bit, my question is what's different about the DLX from the DNA that makes it GSM compatible. Reason i'm looking into it is that i've heard great things about it's battery life, which is quite unexpected considering the xbox-huge screen and underwhelming battery amperage.

    Quadcore might be a waste, but it's still 3 times less than the dualcore iPhone... which brings a whole other discussion , but let's stay on-topic.

    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    I can't answer those questions, but are you getting a One X or One X+? If the + is slightly more expensive you could get that, if you want.

    It has some minor improvements but hey why not get the best you can.
    the One X. Reason being i'm probably going to be getting a second-hand phone from XDA.
    the one x seems to be the cheapest option right now with the one x + being little less then double the price on avarage.
    Either way, i need to know how much screen time i can get with the one x since i read it's not all that much better than the HD2.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

  8. #8
    Epic! Fysi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    South UK
    Posts
    1,609
    Just a quick word on the chip performance. The S4 in the One S is a different/newer/better architecture (based on Cortex A15) than the Tegra 3 (which is a mediocre Cortex A9 chip) in the One X.
    Must... resist... posting... huge... animated GIF...

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Fysi View Post
    Just a quick word on the chip performance. The S4 in the One S is a different/newer/better architecture (based on Cortex A15) than the Tegra 3 (which is a mediocre Cortex A9 chip) in the One X.
    I really dont care about the chip - the only case i'd give a damn is if it made a difference in battery life. Aslong as it's a dual core or higher, i'm pretty confident that the phone will be snappy.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •