Poll: Should there be a "Music Olympics"?

10+ Year Old Account

[Music] The Olympics of Music

Hey all, was bored so I thought I would just share an idea that sounded cool; in my head at least.

Of everything that is mainstream and that usually most of the modern world knows about besides cinema it is music. Everywhere around the world people know about the great U.S. artists like Elvis, Micheal Jackson, Madonna and countless others as well as the U.K.'s Beatles, Queen, Led Zepplin, etc...

Now with how universal music is and how a nation can literaly revolve around a single artist, I would think that there would be at least some sort of competition, other than fighting for sales and the charts, for the nations to get together and just jam it out. So I propose the "Music Olympics", patent pending, or whatever on earth you would like to call it.

Currently I am tired of the way the world, or at least my own nation, gets enamored with just a single genre of music and then plays it over and over and over and over again without delving into a different genre until I personally think either the nation has finally had enough of it or they just run out of material. You can see it rap, rock, pop, jazz, blues and so on. Remember back in the day when you had massive stars in the rap genre like Snoop, Notorious B.I.G and Tupac out there just blasting it out in front of everyone? I mean, I personally can barely astand the genre to begin with but those guys and countless others literally started such an occult following in the genre that still has it's mark in the industry. Nowadays everyone is trying to piggy-back off of thier success and make a quick buck; I mean really, have you HEARD the stuff that is coming out of that genre lately? And seriously, the above statement can be said for any genre.

So instead of draining an entire genre out of it's appeal with so much garbage coming out why not make it a world-wide competition? Artists from around the world can get together, show off, have fun and become inspired by another culture's style. I think it would make for at least one hell of a party and let people from other nations get to hear ANOTHER nations biggest artists at a world-wide event and not have to search for them in the unorganized universe that is the internet. I mean c'mon! Psy, from Korea, had already put out 4 albums and made millions of dollars in a number of years before the majority of the rest of the world even heard of the guy.
    Last edited by ShamanTankFTW; 2012-11-25 at 12:30 PM.

Deleted
    Pretty cool concept. It'd be like Eurovision Song Contest but, you know, good.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't believe I spelled olympics wrong in the poll...

I never like the idea of making music or any other form of art into a sport or a competition. Art is always subjective. This sounds pretty much like what Eurovision Song Contest used to because most of us consider the mainstream back then to be "good music", there's a reason it's filled with boybands and Celine Dions right now.

Either way, how do you determine the winner? Votes? Judges? How can you really determine a song to be "better" than another, without it just being your own personal taste?

A multicultural music festival with artists from all over the world though? Hell yes, just don't make it into Olympics please. But I don't know how that would get too much mainstream attention, since usually only the mainstream appeals to the mainstream.
    So I bet a lot of this already exists, it's just not on TV.
    Last edited by Noprayer6; 2012-11-25 at 12:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noprayer6 View Post
    I never like the idea of making music or any other form of art into a sport or a competition. Art is always subjective. This sounds pretty much like what Eurovision Song Contest used to because most of us consider the mainstream back then to be "good music", there's a reason it's filled with boybands and Celine Dions right now.

Either way, how do you determine the winner? Votes? Judges? How can you really determine a song to be "better" than another, without it just being your own personal taste?

A multicultural music festival with artists from all over the world though? Hell yes, just don't make it into Olympics please. But I don't know how that would get too much mainstream attention, since usually only the mainstream appeals to the mainstream.
    So I bet a lot of this already exists, it's just not on TV.
    Well, as for the "voting" or judging part I would assume they would have different criteria like they do for normal competitions. Are they on key? Off key? Does it fit the genre? Is it appealing? In good taste? Etc...

Anyway, I understand your point though on the preference part of it. Although I would just love it if a bunch of nations got together to put on a show, the only way I can see this happening is if it is made into an olympic type event where there WOULD be judging taking place. Anyway, I don't have all the kinks worked out, just thought it would be a cool idea.

15+ Year Old Account
    I like it, I just think musical tastes vary so much from region to region. It's tough to critique because usually people are good at what they do, but just not the judges tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    As long as it was judged by actual musical juggernauts
    How does being a successful musician make one better at judging music? I highly doubt someone like Madonna would be a go-to authority on Appalachian Folk Music or Shoegaze.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    How does being a successful musician make one better at judging music? I highly doubt someone like Madonna would be a go-to authority on Appalachian Folk Music or Shoegaze.
    yeah, this touches on my concerns of such a contest. It's so damn subjective that we cant really make a global contest. Great music in North America might not play as well in Europe and vise versa. It's how it is.