Poll: Is this fair and legal?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    They can just disconnect it.

In addition, in dormitories generally students have to register with the universities internet in order to gain access.
    Not really. Most Dutch student houses are private institutions where registering isn't mandatory. You just plug in your internet and start surfing.
    I really do not see something like this outside the US.

You also can't just disconnect a whole student house.

Deleted
    Not really. Returning anything means it needs to be new and unused.
    No it does not, that's utter bull shit perpetuated by scum bag high street sellers. (In the UK here so I am going off our rights)

10+ Year Old Account
    That's not even close to a valid comparison.
    Of course it is.

At least where I live, you pay for internet. If you don't follow their rules, they cut you off. Here, the internet is a business like any other and they can refuse to do business with you.

I don't agree with it, but it's still fair and legal because it's their product.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Of course it's fair and legal. You are paying to use their service. If you are using their service to break the law, they are well within their rights to terminate your link to their service. People seriously need to start reading service agreements before signing.

You don't like it? Form your own ISP.
    Except their goals are to do so if they THINK you're pirating. If I'm not pirating, but have a lot of internet traffic (say I'm playing Planetside 2 for a few hours, which hogs bandwidth), the way they WANT to do it, they can put the restrictions in place there and then. If they don't have actual PROOF someone is doing anything illegal, but put restrictions on their internet anyway, then it ISN'T fair, and unless they changed my contract with them, through all the appropriate channels, and I agreed to it, they would be in breach of contract.

when is that google internet and tv gonna come out of kansas or wherever it is thats super fast and super private or whatever O-O
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

I know for a fact Cox won't. They've sent me like... 5 emails over the years saying that I'm pirating and need to stop.
    There are good people in every corner of the planet. Unfortunately, the Earth is round.

Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post

512kb/s translates to 4mbit
    512kb/s is 0,5mbps. 512kB/s is 4mbps

Quote Originally Posted by Needonboots View Post
    Except their goals are to do so if they THINK you're pirating. If I'm not pirating, but have a lot of internet traffic (say I'm playing Planetside 2 for a few hours, which hogs bandwidth), the way they WANT to do it, they can put the restrictions in place there and then. If they don't have actual PROOF someone is doing anything illegal, but put restrictions on their internet anyway, then it ISN'T fair, and unless they changed my contract with them, through all the appropriate channels, and I agreed to it, they would be in breach of contract.
    I doubt they would take action based on bandwith. An hour of watching youtube hd clips takes maybe more than ripped movie (not Blu-Ray ). But since people put shit on the internet and don't even try to name the files differently than the movie/software title is... it's not that hard to know who is pirating because your ISP logs every single thing you do on the Internet.

I live in Central Europe and it happens that sometimes American companies are sending tells to our internet providers if some of their customers are downloading the movies via torrent ! I can't imagine what they are up to in the US.

okay so according to this http://www.copyrightinformation.org/alerts it only applies to p2p downloads (torrents) and that they have to contact your isp with your ip first O-O
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

10+ Year Old Account
    just to clear up a few things:

when you buy internet, you are buying access to a private network, so yes, it's perfectly legal for them to monitor what you are doing

also, they are using packet inspection, which means a proxy wont work, you will need a VPN service with decent encryption

last i read on the six strikes, you can still get a strike if someone files a claim against you, they don't have to prove that claim

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course it's fair and legal. You are paying to use their service. If you are using their service to break the law, they are well within their rights to terminate your link to their service. People seriously need to start reading service agreements before signing.
    I declare that Rukentuts is an evil pirate and needs to be kicked off the internet. Proof? I don't need proof, I'm an entertainment company, my word is enough. Just get rid of him.

Pretty much what would happen. ISPs disconnect uses that pirate to save their own ass from a lawsuit, and like I said earlier pirating generally uses a lot of bandwidth.
    They already are immune to lawsuits under the safe harbor provisions. One could argue by taking this action, they are violating the terms of those provisions and opening themselves up to lawsuits.

i dont see how this is any different then normal really the thing says that they have to first figure out your ip (most people who torrent things know how easy it is to hide to hide your ip) and tell your isp that they think your pirating and it only applies to torrents not streaming or downloads or anything like that.

doesnt seem very different to me O-O maybe a few dumb people who steal stuff without taking measures will get caught but thats who they said they were after anyways

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Not really. Most Dutch student houses are private institutions where registering isn't mandatory. You just plug in your internet and start surfing.
    I really do not see something like this outside the US.

You also can't just disconnect a whole student house.
    The European Court of Human Rights said this would infringe upon our rights, so cannot be implemented here. So no, it is neither fair nor legal (in Europe at least)

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    "Stolen" is such an inacurate word for piracy, unless you really try to get in and change what is meant by stolen. "Stolen" implies I've taken something from Best Buy. If I STOLE my Jack Sparrow Edition of Photoshop from Best Buy, then they would have ONE LESS copy of it on their shelves. A copy they paid for and will not be able to resell. That is stolen. That is not what i did. Stolen, Steal, theft, thief are words that really can't apply to pirating.
    It is actually quite accurate. You did not pay for something that you now own/possess that is illegal for you to gain without paying for a fee. You acquired something through a means which did not compensate the owner.
    So yes. It is STOLEN. You took something that did not previously belong to you without providing an agreed upon compensation for said item.

Quote Originally Posted by fooliuscaesar13 View Post
    It is actually quite accurate. You did not pay for something that you now own/possess that is illegal for you to gain without paying for a fee. You acquired something through a means which did not compensate the owner.
    So yes. It is STOLEN. You took something that did not previously belong to you without providing an agreed upon compensation for said item.
    except unless the person who uploaded said game/song/movie/ect stole the disc then its not stealing.

its someone who already bought something and made a copy and gave it to someone for free

Yes this is legal in the US. If you don't like it go use a VPN.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by barricade_ View Post
    512kb/s is 0,5mbps. 512kB/s is 4mbps

Yeah you're right, I'm horrible with the stupid bit and byte abbreviations so I have this bad habit of saying *b/s for bytes and *bit/s for bits.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I fail to see the issue. It isn't like internet is a right in the US.

If you are using a service and you are conducting illegal activities, the ISP is well within its own rights to limit or refuse such service.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    just to clear up a few things:

when you buy internet, you are buying access to a private network, so yes, it's perfectly legal for them to monitor what you are doing

also, they are using packet inspection, which means a proxy wont work, you will need a VPN service with decent encryption

last i read on the six strikes, you can still get a strike if someone files a claim against you, they don't have to prove that claim
    Tell me how the internet is a private network.

And you do not "buy" "internet"

You rent the abilities to use their cables and DNS servers to rout yourself to other servers which will fulfill requests and send you html/js/css/etc code to render a webpage and then you go from there. In the case of websites at least.

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    "Stolen" is such an inacurate word for piracy, unless you really try to get in and change what is meant by stolen. "Stolen" implies I've taken something from Best Buy. If I STOLE my Jack Sparrow Edition of Photoshop from Best Buy, then they would have ONE LESS copy of it on their shelves. A copy they paid for and will not be able to resell. That is stolen. That is not what i did. Stolen, Steal, theft, thief are words that really can't apply to pirating.
    You have taken something from... the company who developed the software. You have obtained a product for free that would have otherwise cost you money, rewarding this software company for their time, their intellectual property. The fish bowl analogy of "but bestbuy still has a copy on the shelf" says NOTHING about how it affects the people who were paid for their time to write the software and the company who paid these wages.