Poll: Is this fair and legal?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    according to the website for the law if a company sees your ip when they check out torrents they call your isp and after an unspecified amount of complaints you get one strike and then your isp will keep a look on you to see if your doing illegal activities and some will slow/lock down your internet till you take some knd of survey about copyright stuff.

the majority of people who pirate know how to hide their ip and they said on the site they arent after the ones who pirate often but its more of a preventative thing to try and prevent new people from doing it

tell me how to hide my ip bro ?

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftdreamzAMV View Post
    Protip: "Hiding your IP" isn't enough, your ISP can still tell. This is because no matter what you do, your traffic still goes through their infrastructure.

10+ Year Old Account
    according to the website for the law if a company sees your ip when they check out torrents they call your isp and after an unspecified amount of complaints you get one strike and then your isp will keep a look on you to see if your doing illegal activities and some will slow/lock down your internet till you take some knd of survey about copyright stuff.

the majority of people who pirate know how to hide their ip and they said on the site they arent after the ones who pirate often but its more of a preventative thing to try and prevent new people from doing it
    http://images.4chan.org/t/src/1344866745169.gif Relevant.

Since nobody seems to know anything.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Protip: Hiding your IP isn't enough, your ISP can still tell.
    <-noob: thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    Protip: Hiding your IP isn't enough, your ISP can still tell.
    http://images.4chan.org/t/src/1344866745169.gif

You aswell.

wont say here since im pretty sure its against the rules to post about how to do illegal stuff but theres programs that can hide your ip when you go to websites or download torrents and whatnot.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Its never going to happen. Keep pirating

---------- Post added 2012-11-25 at 04:51 PM ----------

wont say here since im pretty sure its against the rules to post about how to do illegal stuff but theres programs that can hide your ip when you go to websites or download torrents and whatnot.
    Definitely not "illegal"

Companies have no way of knowing if you're actually torrenting or not. All they do is monitor the amount of traffic you're responsible for. I'm up to 47GB this month. 45GB down, 2.33GB up. Maybe 13GB of that was torrent stuff that isn't licensed in the US. The rest was straight up normal traffic. Basically I've done nothing illegal that they'll enforce but I'll still likely get 'filtered' at some point. Vast majority of my traffic comes from viewing videos on Youtube and playing WoW. They can't tell the difference. I already forsee them choking off people's internet when they haven't torrented anything illegal and instead are playing WoW. Gonna be some angry folks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    Yeah because the ISPs totally have a right to read any medical records that might be emailed to me.

Or if a business was sending emails containing sensitive technical data to a computer outside of their LAN that becomes free game for any isp to read into.

They can totally be staring at any celebrity's emails and read all the gossip they could ever want through their channels of communication and publicise it to the world right?

I mean, the cables belong to the company right, by using that service its like you're just handing the data over to the company!
    yes they do have that right

anything sent in an ordinary email is plaintext and can be (and is) read by anyone

it's well known that google scans gmail accounts to develop advertising profiles to sell to companies

because anyone can read data sent on the internet, when sensitive data is sent, it is encrypted

this is the reason that SSL and VPNs exist

i will say this again, you have no right to privacy on the internet unless you have local laws declaring so, but even then, those laws only apply to networks within that country's geopolitical borders

Protip: "Hiding your IP" isn't enough, your ISP can still tell. This is because no matter what you do, your traffic still goes through their infrastructure.
    thats true but the majority of the time the isp doesnt actually pay attention to what your doing unless someone else tells them "hey one of your customers is probably stealing our crap" which means unless your really unless your unlucky most of the time hiding your ip is enough
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

You aswell.
    Pretty much everything I have said is true according to that source.

10+ Year Old Account
    VPNs are not illegal.

Stop talking period if you are ignorant. Misinformation is worth than no information.

VPNs are a middle man. You send a request to the vpn, vpn with an alternate IP different from yours, makes a request to whatever you want. Data is recovered and send to vpn. vpn sends it to you.

The end result that you want to reach never has access to your ip address or any personally IDing information, only the vpn's.

And most of these vpns are based in countries that won't sell you out of the slightlest whim of a government.

So you're safe.

But thats not all you will also want to encrypt your traffic (also not illegal) through some means. A popular way is BTguard.

thats true but the majority of the time the isp doesnt actually pay attention to what your doing unless someone else tells them "hey one of your customers is probably stealing our crap" which means unless your really unless your unlucky most of the time hiding your ip is enough
    Or unless you use shitloads of bandwidth (just one example) and set off automated flags.

In addition, ISPs record your IP and have the MAC of your modem and validate it against your contract.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by therayeffect View Post
    Companies have no way of knowing if you're actually torrenting or not. All they do is monitor the amount of traffic you're responsible for. I'm up to 47GB this month. 45GB down, 2.33GB up. Maybe 13GB of that was torrent stuff that isn't licensed in the US. The rest was straight up normal traffic. Basically I've done nothing illegal that they'll enforce but I'll still likely get 'filtered' at some point. Vast majority of my traffic comes from viewing videos on Youtube and playing WoW. They can't tell the difference. I already forsee them choking off people's internet when they haven't torrented anything illegal and instead are playing WoW. Gonna be some angry folks.
    Wow (and pretty much every game) uses a negligible amount of bandwidth.

Deleted
    Found a program called: Hide my IP. ha !

10+ Year Old Account
    VPNs are not illegal.

Stop talking period if you are ignorant. Misinformation is worth than no information.

VPNs are a middle man. You send a request to the vpn, vpn with an alternate IP different from yours, makes a request to whatever you want. Data is recovered and send to vpn. vpn sends it to you.

The end result that you want to reach never has access to your ip address or any personally IDing information, only the vpn's.

And most of these vpns are based in countries that won't sell you out of the slightlest whim of a government.

So you're safe.

But thats not all you will also want to encrypt your traffic (also not illegal) through some means. A popular way is BTguard.
    BTguard keeps traffic logs and records, and they will give up information to a government, what you want is a VPN that keeps no records

10+ Year Old Account
    Now go find reviews for it and make sure its not going to hand over your shit to a government as soon as they ask.

---------- Post added 2012-11-25 at 10:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    BTguard keeps traffic logs and records, and they will give up information to a government, what you want is a VPN that keeps no records
    http://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-pr...iously-111007/

“It’s technically unfeasible for us to maintain log files with the amount of connections we route,” BTguard explain. “We estimate the capacity needed to store log files would be 4TB per day.”

Response to Q2: “The jurisdiction is Canada. Since we do not have log files, we have no information to share. We do not communicate with any third parties. The only event we would even communicate with a third party is if we received a court order. We would then be forced to notify them we have no information. This has not happened yet.”

A quote from BT themselves.

They rank number 1 on not selling you out.

10+ Year Old Account
    wont work, it simply proxies your traffic to a server, your ISP can still see everything you are doing, you need a VPN

VPNs are not illegal.

So you're safe.

i wasnt saying hiding your ip itself is illegal just that the mods may not like it since its clear most people wouldnt be using it for purely privacy but for downloading stuff without getting caught. just being a little cautious

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course it's fair. Stop fucking stealing and this wouldn't happen.

I find it pretty hard to believe they won't be able to tell when someone is actually using the internet for gaming/other high-usage activitives and pirating. They can look at your history of use and tell pretty easily.