Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

A Question For the Guild Leaders

Hello fellow Guild leaders, loot distributers or just guild members.

9 IRLS and myself have started a raiding guild, and we are discussing what loot system we should be using.

We came down to the 2 possible systems
    DKP
    Suicide Kings

So, how are you guys distributing the loot? DKP or SK, and what tweaks have you made to make it more fair/better?

Any ideas? Please help me out!

A combination of /roll and common courtesy is what my guild uses. If you're all actually friends, this should do fine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Halifax View Post
    A combination of /roll and common courtesy is what my guild uses. If you're all actually friends, this should do fine.
    We all come from the same class expect 1 guy that I know from my previous school.

Work it out between you, who's in most need of the upgrade. DKP is completly unnessecary in a 10 man roster that relies on only 10 players, you'll all get the same amount so it'll just be "player 1 gets item, then player 2, then 3, then 4, then 5" repeat in most cases.

10+ Year Old Account
    My previous good guild in Cata used mix of /roll and lootcouncil, based on raid voting (if you got 2 heroics weapons like I did, you got bumped down on heroic tier), they even /rolled the legendary FL staff. My current guild is similar, with /rolling and common sense, but soon we'll be trying loot council on rings/necks/trinkets etc, maybe weapons too. Personally, even if something is BiS for me aside from weapons, I'll pass on it to someone with a terrible item because they started behind the release date/curve, or just rerolled for utility.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Ok, I give up. This is pointless.
    Many Multitudes Online Constantly Harping About Minor Problems
    FIRE GIVES ME BIGGER BLOOD SHIELDS

10+ Year Old Account
    We always did loot council with our group before Mist. Now we moved to need before greed and people are generally really nice about passing on gear if they won something else recently. It's been fun and loot rolls are much faster.

My guild uses SK. We suicide people who don't make attendance requirements for a certain amount of time (up to your guild to decide what this is).
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

My guild don't really have any set loot system, it's more or less a mix of biggest upgrade, roll and loot council. In general there are max 2 people who have the same BiS (except tokens) and either give it to the guy who have worse item atm or lowest ilvl on that slot. If it's a equal upgrade we generally just roll or in some case myself as a GM and the officers decide who should get it (affected by performance and attendence) but it is rarely needed tbh.

I have never used Suicide kings so can't say if that is good or bad however if you are a full IRL friends guild I'd say Suicide Kings seems to be good from what I read about it when I googled it :P Also depends if you want to just raid together and have fun or if you plan on clearing the heroic content pre nerfs. If you want progress heroics I'd suggest you go with some system that consider how big the upgrade is and mabye the performance/attendence (might not matter if you only have 10 players in the group).

When it comes to DKP it can either be completely awesome or the worse shit you can possibly get. I've been in guilds where it worked flawless and everyone was rather happy with it. I've also been in guilds where how the DKP system where organised led to guild disbands. If you are only IRL friends I don't see the point to go with DKP tbh as loot with a small 10 man core group should not be that big of a problem to distribute anyway.

As many have stated already, we've used a /roll and loot council system since the start of Cata. It's a really good way at weeding out gear whores, and helps to get gear to those who actually need it.

I neither like Suicide Kings, nor think it would work very well for a 10m raid. DKP is objective, but is unnecessary for a 10m, as was aforementioned as well.

Loot Council only really becomes an issue when you have more than two people who share the same loot type...but even then, only because it can take a while to decide who gets it. It takes a bit of work to keep track of who's gotten what and what ilvl players are currently sitting at (this helps immensely with loot council), but I think it's the most rewarding if you have good people on the loot council. Another downside is that people on the loot council tend to end up with the lowest ilvl in the raid, so they'd better be good at their class to begin with...lol.

Deleted
    Loot council.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    Work it out between you, who's in most need of the upgrade. DKP is completly unnessecary in a 10 man roster that relies on only 10 players, you'll all get the same amount so it'll just be "player 1 gets item, then player 2, then 3, then 4, then 5" repeat in most cases.
    Just about this^^. Although my own guild uses a loot council consisting of the GM and myself as an officer.

But I think the seriousness of your raiding should be taken into consideration as well. If you just want to have some fun in a friendly environment, I can't imagine loot will be an issue? From personal experience DKP/EPGP etc. works better for 25 man guilds, whereas with 10 man guilds it's a lot easier to just use a loot council.

Give the loot to who the raid will benefit most from.

Assuming all players are of equal skill level and attendance in a 10 man guild, give loot to who needs it the most. Get healers and tanks their 2 piece bonuses first before DPS if you wanted to. Not many fights in the game are true DPS races on normal mode, and the raid will benefit greatly from having the tanks hit for less, and the healers healing for more.

But take into consideration rogues and monks if say, you have a druid tank. Don't give the tank 10 pieces of loot to the rogues 1 , obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Apoulsen View Post
    Hello fellow Guild leaders, loot distributers or just guild members.

9 IRLS and myself have started a raiding guild, and we are discussing what loot system we should be using.

We came down to the 2 possible systems
    DKP
    Suicide Kings

So, how are you guys distributing the loot? DKP or SK, and what tweaks have you made to make it more fair/better?

Any ideas? Please help me out!
    So for you this should be a very easy decision due to the make up of your raid team.

Since you all are friends and know each other both in game and out of game you should just be doing a simple loot council. If you where a 25man team and had to manage loot for lets say 35 raiders, DKP is vastly superior.

Im personally a huge advocate of DKP systems, but I raid at the 25man level and I can tell you from expereince that it makes life so much easier when theres a standardized currency used for loot. I know its not for every one out there, but it works great for us. However, for your situation i strongly advise just having one or two of your most trusted people be in charge of road mapping your loot tables and hand it out accordingly. Most important thing to remember is that the loot is just a means to an end and that even the best of the best items get replaced in time.

Best of luck!

dont use loot council. no matter how good of friends you are, its nothing but a pain in teh ass and drama source. used to use it, but the headache wasnt worth it. dkp works fine

Deleted
    DKP is a terrible system in my opinion. Just council it, it's so much easier, unless you have loot whores in your guild. We just look at who has the worst piece of gear for that slot, who has the worst gear overall and which role its going to (usually DPS > everyone else). Everyone sees it as fair since the raid is gearing evenly.

Same here we /roll but if I win it and its a much bigger upgrade for someone else I pass and so would everyone else in my guild we are 10 man.
    In 25 I can see dkp being the best solution.

EPGP is a buttload easier to maintain and administer than DKP.

In the raids that myself and a friend lead we use a combination of EPGP and Loot Council.

We use EPGP 90% of the time, but if we notice a "Main Spec" roll thats a little weird we reserve the right to veto the roll or ask for clarification on the purpose of the roll, for instance in DS if a rogue was higher on points than the hunter and main spec rolled a ranged weapon we'd ask him if he was okay with passing it onto the hunter as it would benefit him more etc.

Straight loot council tends to be way too time consuming as you need to compare individual items between the 'needers' and also their entire set overall, this detracts from overall 'killing' time, which is a very negative side effect.

For Off set rolls I basically assign the piece based on what will be most beneficial to the raid group.

2handed strength weapon drops, our Offtank DK and our Healer Pally both roll offset, I will likely give it to the DK as he actually DPS's in raid from time to time.

We've had zero issues with this system over 2-3 years.
    Last edited by DarkPhoenix; 2012-11-26 at 03:16 AM.

This is the only system ANY 10 man guild should ever need, and on top of this you are all friends.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by holycrapfour View Post
    dont use loot council. no matter how good of friends you are, its nothing but a pain in teh ass and drama source. used to use it, but the headache wasnt worth it. dkp works fine
    My 25-man progression guild back in WotLK used loot council - 25, not 10 - and I dont recall ever having a single loot drama.

Issues only arise when youre playing with jackasses. Anyone with a shred of sense and teamwork will know that its all about the good of the raid, not the raider.

The OP is playing solely with IRL mates in a 10-man. Unless your class makeup is really skewed, you should only have a handful of people after specific drops. For example, theres not much point in implementing a value-based loot system if you have one plate tank, one leather tank, one mail DPS, one plate DPS, one int leather DPS, 2 cloth DPS, 1 spirit cloth healer, one int mail healer and a spirit plate healer.

Obviously, this is a very specific example, but its what my guild runs currently. See there why implementing DKP or similar would be a massive waste of time.
    Last edited by Nikkaszal; 2012-11-26 at 08:04 AM.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    We just roll on our loot. Makes it easy and fast.

Rarely do I interject, which only happens if someone is being too nice by not taking something.

Seriously though we just roll. People discuss it briefly afterwards as everyone is more interested in what helps the raid more. If someone is a piece away from a set bonus people will usually straight up trade it if they won the roll. Things like that.