Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    You do realise this happens with pretty much everything ever, right? This is what human beings do. We latch on to people whom we respect, and idolise them. Look at the pop music industry. Sports. Famous scientists. Presidents, leaders in general: this is human nature.
    You realize everything humans do is in their nature? I don't idolize anybody at all, it's in my nature. I'm human, so not idolizing anybody is human nature.

Deleted
    Care in what fashion?

Do I follow the race etc? No.

Do I think the guild that does end up getting it has worked hard to accomplish something? Yes.

Can't say I agree with your sentiment to make a fuss over "normal" guilds who get their kills though, a professional football team will get more of a reward for winning an event than some guys who play it casually around their job. That's without going into what constitutes "normal" guild, does a guild that raids 4 hours a week deserve more of a prize than one that raids 18? What about when people don't have sponsors but aren't working it around a job due to being unemployed etc? What about if a guild only raids a few hours a week due to decisions entirely of their own making with no external influences? Do all these different forms of play need a seperate league and to be called on when they get the - "world first 1 hour a week but extending every now and again to finally get a world first stone guards heroic kill 4 months after release"?

Your argument seems as bizarre to me as asking "Does being World Champion in F1" really matter, because Schumacher kept winning. Just because Schumacher had a damn good win record doesn't mean people should only care about amateur racing or somesuch because the results are wildly unpredictable.

World firsts are trivial to me, everyone gets to down em eventually... I play the game for me own amusement, at my own pace.

Do you care about Olympic champions? Do you care about pro soccer players? They do nothing but sport, thier lives revolve around their game, they have sponsorships, etc etc.

And guess what? People still watch their performance on tv, read about them in newspapers and write about them on fun sites.

I can't say that being funboy is something very smart, but you have absolutely no right to judge them.

Deleted
    These people have lives actually... if you have noticed a past interview when they were asked about the content longetivity they said that they want content to be hard but not as much as to waste a lot of weeks from it as they don't like to be away from their social circle/job/school for such a long period. Some may be playing all day but the majority of these guys in top guilds just play a LOT when the content is up, then they clear it every wed and log out for the rest of the week in order to spend a lot of times with their loved ones IRL.

Also you say that you don't care about world firsts and such but later you mention that a normal guild should get praise for earning a casual "HC kill"... that makes no sense seriously... It's not only that they have time, it is that they are the best of the best, other guilds spend as much (if not more time) and get less results (for example any other guild in the top 10 that hasn't downed Sha of Fear HC). They have sponsors because they have skills and know how to play and adapt in shorter time than most others. The best guilds (i.e Paragon,Method,Blood Legion,Vodka,etc etc) cleared MSV HC in 12-15 hours total? How about a normal guild try and see if they kill all MSV HC in 15 hours? Then you will see how much more skilled these people are and how much less time they waste in game than other raiders by being so skilled.

Also... if you don't care about World firsts why make threads about them? Just let it vanish instead of making more threads to discuss about it lol...
    As for me, no, I don't care much about World firsts, I just like it when some EU guild gets World first because I'm a european player too. That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy watching BL world first Empress though!
    Last edited by mmoc2a7830ed1a; 2012-11-26 at 10:38 AM.

I only care when blood legion gets world first ! US FTW

When I look at world first I wonder what is so important. When you compare number of pulls to kill typically they aren't all that outstandingly different from guilds pretty far out of world first placement. A lot of it boils down to long play times, endless pulls, and the ability to class stack in many situations (not many this tier, thankfully). I think all of these thing should play a role in a guilds ranking. Don't get me wrong first is important but I feel being rewarded for pulling a boss for 72 straight hours with 160 pulls shouldn't be as rewarded as someone that pulls the boss 10 times a day 3, times a week, and kills it in 100 pulls because EVERYONE in their guild manages full times jobs or class scheduled. I'm not debating that people in these guilds are without a doubt most of the best players in the world, but the ability to invest time or willingness to live off stream subs seems to play a huge role in it. Almost as much as skill I would argue and yes, again, both are WAY above average player commitments.

Not to mention if you want to take it VERY seriously a few things would HAVE to change. Like both EU and US getting bosses on the same day and same time, and the ability for Asia to somehow get into the mix fairly as well. The next thing would be Blizzard would have to not be retarded and not release instances at horrible times like Terrace was released just in time for Thanksgiving on heroic progression -- something that MOST US people are going to attend and often something that takes several days -- the same thing would have to be extended to EU players as well (and no I am not talking about small holidays -- but at least the major few in each region). Finally , like I said above, I think number of pulls to kill would need to be factored higher into the equation to make it a cleaner race. Someone kills something 45 mins before another guild but in double the pulls it should say something in the way of rating skill and ability to be ranked #1.

I do keep an eye on world firsts. I don't do it as much as I used to (back in tbc and wrath I was all over this stuff). I wouldn't say I "care" but i do take an interest in it.

Deleted
    I used to care about this stuff before wotlk, cata and mop came out now I couldn't care less..

Dont really care about world first, but kind a do care about realm first and in general are direct competitors killing something before my guild.

Deleted
    I find them interesting to see how the top guilds compare against each other, and the fact that it only happens once every few months makes it seem special.

Its something I would never consider doing, but I have a lot of gamer respect for players that just blow my mind.

I enjoy kill videos, but I really don't think they have that much value. I think I have the capabilities to play at the level but I don't have the ability to leave real life for a week to raid. I also enjoy raiding with my friends much more than raiding with randoms, even if I sacrifice progression.

There's alot of people who seem extremely passionate about their indifference.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    When I look at world first I wonder what is so important. When you compare number of pulls to kill typically they aren't all that outstandingly different from guilds pretty far out of world first placement. A lot of it boils down to long play times, endless pulls, and the ability to class stack in many situations (not many this tier, thankfully). I think all of these thing should play a role in a guilds ranking. Don't get me wrong first is important but I feel being rewarded for pulling a boss for 72 straight hours with 160 pulls shouldn't be as rewarded as someone that pulls the boss 10 times a day 3, times a week, and kills it in 100 pulls because EVERYONE in their guild manages full times jobs or class scheduled. I'm not debating that people in these guilds are without a doubt most of the best players in the world, but the ability to invest time or willingness to live off stream subs seems to play a huge role in it. Almost as much as skill I would argue and yes, again, both are WAY above average player commitments.

Not to mention if you want to take it VERY seriously a few things would HAVE to change. Like both EU and US getting bosses on the same day and same time, and the ability for Asia to somehow get into the mix fairly as well. The next thing would be Blizzard would have to not be retarded and not release instances at horrible times like Terrace was released just in time for Thanksgiving on heroic progression -- something that MOST US people are going to attend and often something that takes several days -- the same thing would have to be extended to EU players as well (and no I am not talking about small holidays -- but at least the major few in each region). Finally , like I said above, I think number of pulls to kill would need to be factored higher into the equation to make it a cleaner race. Someone kills something 45 mins before another guild but in double the pulls it should say something in the way of rating skill and ability to be ranked #1.
    Later guilds have similar pulls because of better gear, tactics available for them, bug fixes, etc etc. Top guilds have to figure out the tactic while progressing, they don't have everything available from start.

Deleted
    On the personal level none cares, unless they have real life friends in that guilds. But it's fun to watch/read because they are the pinnacle of the game raiding scene. It's like watching/reading on any other sport. Also you can try to look how they play/act and try to improve yourself in that way.

Deleted
    nope, not at all.

Never cared, never will.

In fact I wish there was a filter for me to avoid them in the news on this site, kinda like you can do with forums. No big deal though.

not anymore. in early wrath and before that i did. now its just who got the most time on their hands who win, not actual skill.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    major respect to those who achieve it. thats enough for me.
    Thats what I mean though, are such teams worthy of such respect? I mean noone can claim they dont have advantages, be it sponsorship, fame, being granted early access to ptrs etc, I respect ordinary day to day guilds who can complete the raids before they are nerfed more then these `pros` anyday

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont care per se, its just news, I dont care who wins but I do like to know who, same with formula 1 or tennis or golf, I rarely care enough to get watch but I like to know who won.