Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
7
LastLast
  1. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    You should have your own TV show.
    I was thinking that too. That's all you need to do to alter your life, conquer depression, and get over how your feeling?
    Oh wow, let's not send food or aid to other countries then, but mirrors and an instruction manual written by this guy. Sure it will make a world of difference.
    Grieving over a lost loved one? Ignore counselling, all you need is a mirror! Girlfriend dumped you and you feel down? Just smile and it will all go away!

    He should sell the idea and make millions!



    Oh wait...it's all BS, and whilst it may make you feel slightly happy in the short term, does nothing whatsoever to alter the situation or reality long term. It's a band-aid, a silly, worthless band-aid and the kind of useless "advice" that would be given in the 1950's, ya know, that whole "Turn that frown upside down!" nonsense.

    Positive thinking *does* work, not saying it doesn't, but only in conjunction with other remedies and assistance. Simply saying "I will not be sad" and pulling faces in front of a mirror is as farcical as it can get and won't remedy anything, else I am sure doctor's might, ya know, have hit on it as a sole treatment years ago.

  2. #82
    Old God Nindoriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    10,484
    Quote Originally Posted by Senjinone View Post
    Yea that would be cool
    Might need to look into that!

    So, how did you feel?
    Honestly.
    Oh I didn't do it. I'm not crazy.
    But you have made me feel better anyway, so thanks, I had a good laugh.

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by Senjinone View Post
    What you see as my judging is not me judging.
    Thats how it comes across to you. Thats not a fact, its your interpitation of my words and actions.
    You see me as im judging bnecuse that is what you think im doing.
    Just becuse you think im doing something does not make it true, its just what You Think im doing.

    Like if you come around a corner and see me smash a window of a car.
    You think im breaking into to a car, but in reality its my car and i have locked my only keys to the car inside and cant get in. so i decided to smash the window.
    It comes across to you like im tryin to steal a car, but the fact is im not.
    Nice strawman.

    And yes, you *are* talking nonsense now.

    Your *telling*, not advising, but outright *telling* people not to feel bad because its all in their head. That's utter nonsense, and dictating to people what they should think/feel. Pretty sure your doing exactly what I am thinking your doing. Anyways not gonna bother replying anymore, the smugness is overwhelming.
    Last edited by Howlrunner; 2012-11-26 at 12:17 PM.

  4. #84
    Stood in the Fire Obtuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    378
    You're nearing the end of the system designed to prepare you for your 'adult life'. But it is a system, built by people for the people. You were moved through that system with your similarly aged peers, some of whom you love and love to hate. You are measured and tested and poked and prodded and compared ad nauseum to one another and some find success from this system and others don't.

    I opted to move out young and get a trades job which I went to school for, completed, worked in the industry for 10 years and realized it wasn't my bag. And I started again but this time with a new focus in mind and always with the knowledge that 10 years from now I may move on from that too.

    Be proud of who you are and how you got there. Many people honour their past in different ways. I see very few of my old friends any more and that's okay. In the end the nights always fall back on old conversation and "remember the time that Jimmy..."

    Find out what you're passionate about and you'll follow through on instinct; you'll wake up every day excited about what's on the table... well you'll wake up excited most days There will always be days where you'd rather stay in bed and hell, stay in bed, but you'll find more fulfilment out in the wild.

    Your parents are getting older. You can't fight time, so don't bother. Acknowledge and concede victory and make it your friend. Do not live for the future. You never get there. Live for this very fucking day. If you die tomorrow would you be happy with how you lived your day? Not days. Just day. My recommendation is to start enjoying the little things. A good hearty full gut laugh. There are very few things that can make one feel so good. If my last day was spent laughing, I'd say it was a pretty good day.

    It is what it is what it is. Have fun with it cause this is it.

  5. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    First, hi MMO-Champ! I've lurked here for a while, being a WoW and Diablo player and finally decided to register.

    Anyway, the problem is that I had my 20th birthday in September, as well as a lot of changes in my life and I've been feeling increasingly nostalgic, even depressed after that. I thought it would pass but it's actually getting worse. I don't even know what it is. Maybe it's that I dont want to accept being a grown up now or maybe it's because I took a year off college after the first year because I didn't like my specialty and I'm planning to reapply next year. It could even be because I renovated my room during summer from the money I made working and dug up a lot of old things, photos, mementos, childhood dolls or even because I lost touch with nearly all my high school friends. Oh and I forgot the most important part. My parents were in their late 30s/early 40s when they had me and my dad just had hes 60th birthday and they're starting to look kind of frail.

    This is starting to really bother me as I feel.. old at 20 and I don't know if that's normal. Has anyone gone through something like that?
    Probably half the male population has worried, wait untill youre 25, 30 and so on.
    Just enjoy life as it comes with it s ups and downs, we ll all die eventualy.

  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    Oh I didn't do it. I'm not crazy.
    But you have made me feel better anyway, so thanks, I had a good laugh.
    As i said, its easier to not take responsibilty and not do things to feel better.
    If you had tried you would have know i was right and then you wold have to chnage how you see things.
    Instead you decided to not do it so you can hold on to your world view, to bad you might had learned something.

  7. #87
    The Patient Lumennon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    In the darkest corner with the best view
    Posts
    252
    Now, first of all, I get ya. I really do.

    BUT: You are TWENTY. You have to remember that as old as you might feel at that age, you really ARE not. The one thing that you should keep in mind is that, one sign of being a grown up is (or should be...) maturity, so build on your ability to seperate what you are able to identify as instincts or natural feelings (like the "feeling old" thing) and what you are able to identify as fact. A nice calmness should overcome you in time.

    At twenty, you have the luxury of still being young enough to actually influence the greater course your life will take. So whenever this "depression" overcomes you (and again, I totally get how that happens), LET IT FUEL YOUR RAGE!!!

    Or... Ambition. Or resolve. Those might work, too. More boring, but still applicable.

    And never forget that there are SHITLOADS of people who are worse off than you - people who might've taken longer to realise that time went by too fast, already wasted chances and - on another note - do not even have a family that they are close too. Appreciate what a wonderful thing it is that your parents growing older actually DOES bother you. Not everyone can say the same thing. And never forget that even those people still persevere and have turned their lives around.

    Hell, maybe there are even some people on this board whom you could say the things I mentioned in my last paragraph about... Maybe... Even someone who posted in this thread... Maybe not even too long ago...

    AH HELL, WHO CARES! =)
    Last edited by Lumennon; 2012-11-26 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Spelling errors make baby jesus cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    There's this concept called "fun." I know it's foreign to most of the people on this forum, but perhaps you should look into it; there's a school of thought that suggests it's integral to why people play games.

  8. #88
    You are still young. Enjoy it while it lasts.

  9. #89
    Old God Nindoriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    10,484
    Quote Originally Posted by Senjinone View Post
    As i said, its easier to not take responsibilty and not do things to feel better.
    If you had tried you would have know i was right and then you wold have to chnage how you see things.
    Instead you decided to not do it so you can hold on to your world view, to bad you might had learned something.
    Who said I feel bad?

  10. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    Nice strawman.

    And yes, you *are* talking nonsense now.

    Your *telling*, not advising, but outright *telling* people not to feel bad because its all in their head. That's utter nonsense, and dictating to people what they should think/feel. Pretty sure your doing exactly what I am thinking your doing. Anyways not gonna bother replying anymore, the smugness is overwhelming.
    Oh yes im telling people that they can feel diffrent if they want to!
    i have never denied that at all!

    But you said i judge them, and there is where you are wrong.
    People are free to feel however they want, but im still telling them that they can feel diffrent if they want to.

    You want to be depressed, feel sorry for yourself, blame god/fate/parents or whatever?
    Sure then do that, but know its your choice and i will tell you that it is your choice and you can feel diffrent if you want to.
    Thats not judging at all, as you said i did.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-26 at 01:23 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    Who said I feel bad?
    Noone as far as i know, i sure did not.

  11. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by Senjinone View Post
    As i said, its easier to not take responsibilty and not do things to feel better.
    If you had tried you would have know i was right and then you wold have to chnage how you see things.
    Instead you decided to not do it so you can hold on to your world view, to bad you might had learned something.
    Read that.

    Seems like being a judgmental ass to me.

  12. #92
    OP, you're just 20 years old, that's pretty young, you shouldn't be feeling old.

    You just need to go out, get new friends and have fun, enjoy life.

    I know that having a parent with 60 years old might be a bit bad but seriously, try not to let that change you, just go have fun, you're young!

  13. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    Read that.

    Seems like being a judgmental ass to me.
    Well how it seems to you is not the same as how it is. Its just how it seems to you.

  14. #94
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    170
    I felt very similar to you at that age - but trust me it gets better!

    Not only will you mature even more (your brain is still developing believe it or not) but things will begin to fall into place in your 20s. You will run into more bumps in the road, but if you truly want things to get better, they will. Unfortunately as you become older, so do others around you, including your parents. It's hard to see them grow older, cherish your time with them as much as possible. I don't keep in touch with barely anyone from high school anymore, it's a harsh reality that as you grow older, friends will come and go. You will change, they will change, interests will change. At first it's heartbreaking, but you will learn to adapt and make new friends throughout life. There is no harm in remembering the good times, but don't stay locked up in the past - always live for today but be looking into the future as you never know what will be waiting for you (and if you aren't there to pay attention, you will miss out!)

    I went to university for 4 years - and going into the 5th year (was 23) decided to quit because I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life and was so incredibly depressed (was drinking, some light drugs, and bad relationships). It was the hardest thing to tell my parents - that after 5 years and so close to a degree I wanted to quit. I didn't really know what I wanted to do, but I knew I didn't want to continue living where I was living and studying what I was studying. This was my rock bottom, and I knew that I could either continue to sulk around or do something about it so I could improve my life. I ended up hurting a few people, breaking off friendships, and disappointing my parents, but I had to do what was best for me. I took 5 months off then re-enrolled in a different school another country away.

    Took fast track courses, got into a work placement, and started enjoying my life and doing things that I really wanted to do (like travelling). I met my future husband at 24 at a work placement for school. And after I graduated we ended up moving to Australia and got married 3 years later. Now I'm 29 with a stable job and life. Things I'm worried about now is turning 30 next year!! Now that is old :P

    Keep your chin up. I know things are difficult, it's part of growing up. It sucks, we all have to go through it. Just keep reminding yourself that things do get better and you never know what is waiting around the corner for you!
    Last edited by Liliannan; 2012-11-26 at 12:36 PM. Reason: spelling

  15. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by Senjinone View Post
    Well how it seems to you is not the same as how it is. Its just how it seems to you.
    Jesus, you are silly.
    Let's highlight certain words shall we?

    "As i said, its easier to not take responsibilty and not do things to feel better.
    If you had tried you would have know i was right and then you wold have to chnage how you see things.
    Instead you decided to not do it so you can hold on to your world view, to bad you might had learned something."

    Telling people your right, and telling them if they listen they will learn something is being dictatorial and egotistical to the extreme.

    "Oh yes im telling people that they can feel diffrent if they want to!
    i have never denied that at all! "

    Yet, you said your not dictating nor telling people what to do?

    But you are...

    Your talking so much crap it's unreal, and it's actually slightly offensive to people having issues or problems to have some smug git come along, poor piss all over them metaphorically by spouting nonsense and drivel, telling them "It's all in your head".
    Point in question, my sister in law's friend from school got crushed by a falling tree. He is 18 years of age. Please feel free to tell his parent's seeing their son broken, crushed, close to death and in a coma, that all the need to do to feel better is "Look in front of a mirror and smile". Sure you will get far.

    Utter BS, all of it.

  16. #96
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    First, hi MMO-Champ! I've lurked here for a while, being a WoW and Diablo player and finally decided to register.

    Anyway, the problem is that I had my 20th birthday in September, as well as a lot of changes in my life and I've been feeling increasingly nostalgic, even depressed after that. I thought it would pass but it's actually getting worse. I don't even know what it is. Maybe it's that I dont want to accept being a grown up now or maybe it's because I took a year off college after the first year because I didn't like my specialty and I'm planning to reapply next year. It could even be because I renovated my room during summer from the money I made working and dug up a lot of old things, photos, mementos, childhood dolls or even because I lost touch with nearly all my high school friends. Oh and I forgot the most important part. My parents were in their late 30s/early 40s when they had me and my dad just had hes 60th birthday and they're starting to look kind of frail.

    This is starting to really bother me as I feel.. old at 20 and I don't know if that's normal. Has anyone gone through something like that?
    Haha man talk about first world problems, you really need some perspective on things.

  17. #97
    wow you feel old at 20? i moved out on my own at 18 , im 20 yrs old now in my 2nd apartment its nice & in nicer town then the first apartment. i still visit my parents, but every one grows old eventually. whats that old saying ...? "yer only old if you feel old"?

  18. #98
    Epic! Tucci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,557
    You control your own life and how it goes. If you miss people, find them. If you want to see the world, travel. I strongly believe you can do anything you put your mind to, you just have to work for it. Now if I only took my own advice...
    i5 2500k @ 4.7Ghz | GTX 670 SLI OC | 8gb DDR3 1600 | ASRock P67 Extreme4 | X-Fi Platinum | 1+3TB WD Caviar Black | EVGA Supernova 1200 P2 | LG M2762D-PM 27" 1080p | Logitech THX Z-5300e 5.1 | CM Stacker STC-T01 | Razer Naga/Logitech MX-518 | Noppoo Choc Mini Cherry MX Red | Logitech G330/Audio-Technica ATH-M50

  19. #99
    Wait until you get a job, then you will have a lot of colleagues that are older then you. When I started working at 21 I was the youngest at work, now many years later I'm still one of the younger (but not the youngest) since the people you work with also grow older, so I'm still "the kid" and every now and then they tell some joke about how young I am.

  20. #100
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    First, hi MMO-Champ! I've lurked here for a while, being a WoW and Diablo player and finally decided to register.

    Anyway, the problem is that I had my 20th birthday in September, as well as a lot of changes in my life and I've been feeling increasingly nostalgic, even depressed after that. I thought it would pass but it's actually getting worse. I don't even know what it is. Maybe it's that I dont want to accept being a grown up now or maybe it's because I took a year off college after the first year because I didn't like my specialty and I'm planning to reapply next year. It could even be because I renovated my room during summer from the money I made working and dug up a lot of old things, photos, mementos, childhood dolls or even because I lost touch with nearly all my high school friends. Oh and I forgot the most important part. My parents were in their late 30s/early 40s when they had me and my dad just had hes 60th birthday and they're starting to look kind of frail.

    This is starting to really bother me as I feel.. old at 20 and I don't know if that's normal. Has anyone gone through something like that?
    I've been feeling old since I turned 18, coming from a big family and most of my siblings respawning in pairs or birthing them uglies (babies) I kinda started to mimic their "oldiness". Like, my habits would change - I would change the way I dressed, the way I ate, the way I entertained myself. I think you are just experiencing the "joy" of growing up and it's kinda boring.

    I think you just need to find something to entertain yourself with, wether it be a girlfriend or a boyfriend or a 3-way, something to make life just a little bit more cheerful. Or do what I do: laugh at all them oldies with their kids and responsibilities. Hanging out with people that are older then me always makes me feel a couple of years younger for sure.

    Another tip is to avoid mirrors, since lines and wrinkles don't lie!
    "He did this to 8 women, and only got shot once??"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •