New To League of Legends, Any Advice?

Hello!

I recently started playing League of Legends, and mobas in general well I played like 10-15 games of smite (which i enjoyed due to wasd controls) but everyone I know plays LoL, my younger Brother is Gold League in ranked (i honestly do not know if this is hard to get or not, just gauging his skill level i guess) and gives me some advice, but I want to get some more information because when I started I would play with him or some one else I would know, and we won, decisively our first 6 games, I think im like 9-3 atm, which after the win streak I was pushed into games of people trolling or smurfs that seemed to know what they were doing. So I need to get informed, quickly, and get better because the competition has got better.

I also need some advice in adjusting to MOBAs in general,

I am more an RPG/WOW/FPS player, and not normally a moba player, so I am struggling getting used to click to move, I played Diablo 1/2/3 so I know how to click to move, lol but I struggle with a certain aspect, and that is trying to click someone to autoattack somehow miss the click, not notice because Im trying to pay attention to behind me in those damn bushes, and I clicked my way into the towers range when I meant to range hit someone at the edge of the range of the tower is there anything you guys did to get used to this (In diablo I got over this by using shift click to auto attack and click to move, is there possibly an option available in this game?

Builds!

I get the purpose of AP/AS/AD/Tanky builds,but I dont understand which items are optimal, to kinda relate this into my wow terms, its like I know the stats, but I don't know what Items are Best in Slot is there a guide I can get caught up to speed in? My younger brother (feels odd to type, Im 19 hes 15) comes over skype with what to buy, but it usually (Im guessing is some trolly ass builds) For instance, he had me playing teemo earlier and he got me to like something like 2.3 attack speed, which from my understanding from him telling me is not the optimal way but just playing around with teemos attack speed levels.

Possibly something where I can search by champion and see the correct build or something like that.

Also, General Tips etc welcome. I know with 100+ champions this isnt something I can learn overnight, that said I want to get a better understanding quicker, I have been told for 12 games in Im picking up quickly, but I want to get better, and want to actually be a contributor, not just "The guy that didnt feed so that the people im in skype with can go 20/2 while I sit at like 4/5, 5/6 lol

My best game sadly has been on Lux, 15/15 and I really coulda racked up more kills and less deaths if i didnt miss with my ultimate at times and didnt forget to detonate my bomb-ish thing.

Also - are people normally this dickish in losses? Top Lane was getting stomped and it was 2 of our team to one of their team im talking collectively they were 1/20 at surrender, and Mid was about even and it was 3 their team bottom and 2 of us (me and my friend on skype) I was 1/6 at end and my friend was 2/4 so we were 3/10 collectively and There were only 5 kills, 1 top 1 mid 3 bot, and top starts yelling at bot (us about how we suck and we are getting reported and random stuff like that) When top was losing 1 v 2 lol. Is there actually any merit to report bad players and are people normally this stupid and even if bot was that bad (which it seems like we were doing a helluva lot better than top, I was level 6 they were higher (saw ignite and i think flash on them) (summoner levels) are people that unforgiving to noobs?

Edit: Found out from my brother a website for builds I guess, mobafire.com i believe.
    Last edited by Dupree; 2012-11-26 at 12:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to talk about how annoying people are when they lose then that's not much a of conversation but more of a psychology class.

Honestly, you should probably read up on champion guides before you play one and write their build order and skill order down. Eventually you will get to the point of where you might build something else depending but for now just take a well written and popular guide from a major website such as solomid and copy it. What you don't want to do as well is become one of those ragey player's that LoL has, we have enough of them and most people aren't ragey at the start but when they reach around lv 15 their ego increases. Learn the basics, last hitting is something that if learned early will help you the most at lower levels because honestly if you can last hit you can ignore the trades (trading refers to you and the enemy champion attacking each other in lane) and just rack up gold.

Clicking comes with time, not much else to it there. I personally like to click a lot at the beginning to warm my fingers up (I have bad circulation through the hands). Learn to play a few champions, buy a few and then start saving up for runes at lv 20. DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT buy runes before lv 20. You want tier 3 runes and you can get those at lv 20 onwards. Glad to see you put a lot of time and effort into a post such as yours. If you need any help I'm sure most of us will be on it like a pack of rabid wolves (as long as it's not like 3 or something in the morning EST).
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    Was to lazy to read through the entire post but I can give you some general tips.

Looking up builds: Solomid.net, Clgaming.net are great sources of information.

Look up streamers on ow3nd.com and twitch.tv who play the specific role you want to practice.

For whenever you start being a bit more serious and preparing yourself for ranked championselect.net is a good website for counterpicks.

This is everything I can think of from the top of my head, just let me know if there is anything else you wanna know. Good luck!

Edit: I really like watching TheOddOne (Jungle), Scarra(Mid), Wingsofdeathx(Top), Aphromoo(Ad carry) Nhat Nguyen or Skumbag Krepo (Support).

lolpro.com is ussually pretty good with builds.

Deleted
    Most important tip: play champs that are fun. Ignore what other people say about a champion! I'm a serious LoL player, not high elo but I do play serious and try to have a positive mindset (which is.. Hard at times)
    But always play to have fun, it will make You better in the long run.

I'll add more later, on phone in bed now
    Also, when given an oppurtunity check out GuardsmanBob, good, social, teaching streamer! Oh, always watch tournaments when people give 400%!
    Last edited by mmoc89160c1808; 2012-11-26 at 01:23 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    I struggle with a certain aspect, and that is trying to click someone to autoattack somehow miss the click, not notice because Im trying to pay attention to behind me in those damn bushes, and I clicked my way into the towers range when I meant to range hit someone at the edge of the range of the tower is there anything you guys did to get used to this (In diablo I got over this by using shift click to auto attack and click to move, is there possibly an option available in this game?
    This is very much something, IMO, that you'll pick up as you play more and more. You kind of get a form of peripheral vision, noticing the minimap, your surroundings, your targets, farming etc, all at once. There's also some guides, (think there's one on MOBAfire) that explains the turret ranges and the safe positions from which you're in range to harass an enemy from without being targeted by the turret.

League, again IMO, is one of those games you just become better at by playing.

A few things:

Don't turn on /all chat: nothing good ever comes from that channel :P

After the game mouse over people who have roflstomped you hard, witness they are level 30s boosting with 1500 wins, facepalm and move on. Almost all the people that totally wrecked in my low level games were level 30's boosting.

Try some easy to learn champs, before you dive into something quite hard to play well. You can usually google what is good to learn with, it might not turn out to be something you love playing, but it will give you a way to learn basics without being a a total disadvantage with a tricky champion imo.

If in doubt, and just jumping on a champion to try and can't be bothered to spend 15 mins reading a guide, build a couple of the recommended items, they are often not totally bad for the champion (with a few exceptions) but bear in mind others will be doing similar, and it will serve until you figure out how to build properly and if you even like the champ.

I also entered a game just alone, and spent a while just going through the shop, looking at the items and what they did.

I also kept a notebook next to my keyboard for a while with brief notes on a few champions I played, like what to build in what order, and what skills to max first, this saves tabbing out during games to check stuff, if you have a short memory like me!

The guides are great: but really overwhelming for a while until you learn more, that was my experience anyway. Some of it never even comes into much use outside of quite "serious" play, so just skip to the basic parts: build, masteries, spell uses / waht order to max them in while you learn, as some have huge sections detailing every last detail and nuance of the champion, which is amazing for later, but totally OTT for a learner.
    Last edited by Maelle; 2012-11-26 at 01:27 AM.

Thanks guys, definitely looking into these sources, just wanted to express my thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Strifus View Post
    This is very much something, IMO, that you'll pick up as you play more and more. You kind of get a form of peripheral vision, noticing the minimap, your surroundings, your targets, farming etc, all at once. There's also some guides, (think there's one on MOBAfire) that explains the turret ranges and the safe positions from which you're in range to harass an enemy from without being targeted by the turret.

League, again IMO, is one of those games you just become better at by playing.
    Basically this, there is a lot to learn to this game and there is always more to learn strategically. Guides can really be hit or miss, and generally the best ones are from the top players as they tend to only write guides on champions they have literally played in the mid hundreds or even thousands of games on.

As far as builds, for now I wouldn't worry about it too much aside from figuring out what kind of things you want to build on which champion, and then what to get in response to your opponents. In general:

Ranged Attack Damage: Mainly get boots and dorans blade early and try to save for a BF sword if possible and a Vampiric Scepter for some sustain. Then a zeal for your attack speed and finish the BF sword into either a Bloodthirster or Infinity edge. Finish the Zeal into Phantom Dancer then work on Bloodthirster or Infinity Edge depending on which you did not finish earlier. Afterwards work on Guardian Angel if you are dying often, and Last Whisper if they are building a lot of armor. For Ranged attack damage champions you generally want a good balance on Attack Damage, Attack Speed, Critical Chance, and Lifesteal... usually in that order of importance.

Teemo can be built with about anything and be good when played well.

Mages: Basically build boots as soon as possible as mages have low base move speed and then work into a Rod of Ages. Afterwards you generally want to get either Rabadons Deathcap or Abyssal scepter and eventually a Rylais Crystal Scepter. This again works on most mages, though there is a good bit of room for diversity. In general on mages you want in this order Ability Power and then Health/Resistances.

In later, higher games there are different ways you could go about building items, but generally this gets you through most games, especially when learning. I would recommend starting with one of these two types of champions for learning and then switch to people who are far more versatile and reactionary with their builds such as Bruisers (beefy melee attack damage), Tanks, and Supports. You should attempt to learn and play every champion you can as among all League is a game of knowledge. Knowing what your opponent CAN do is your greatest weapon.

If you happen to want to play a game or two around this time at nights for some tips and pointers specifically on your play style I would probably be willing as long as I am not doing ranked.

Summoner Name: Goatfeesh

PS: About ranking, last I checked:
    Bronze is top 25%ish
    Silver is top 10%ish
    Gold is top 3%ish
    and Plat is top 0.1%ish

But this is before the elo system gained Diamond rank and that anyone doing 5 ranked games period got Bronze, so I would assume it is more:

Silver top 20%
    Gold top 6%
    Plat top 1%
    Diamond top 0.1%

It really depends on when he got Gold. If it was season 1 use the first one, if it was season 2 I would assume the second chart is closer to correct, but it's really just my own rough estimate on the second. This is of course not even getting into which part of the game he received the ranking in (solo/duo, 3's, or 5's changes the value of a ranked elo greatly).
    Last edited by Goatfish; 2012-11-26 at 02:22 AM.

Mages: Basically build boots as soon as possible as mages have low base move speed and then work into a Rod of Ages. Afterwards you generally want to get either Rabadons Deathcap or Abyssal scepter and eventually a Rylais Crystal Scepter. This again works on most mages, though there is a good bit of room for diversity. In general on mages you want in this order Ability Power and then Health/Resistances.
    I honestly think Doran's Ring x2 is a safer start for beginners, as it gives you a good balance of HP, AP and mana regen.

I get the purpose of AP/AS/AD/Tanky builds,but I dont understand which items are optimal, to kinda relate this into my wow terms, its like I know the stats, but I don't know what Items are Best in Slot
    I'd call them "cost effective items", items that are either "mandatory" or really good investments. For example, rushing a Mejai's is a really, REALLY bad idea, because it's a snowball item that brings nothing to the table on it's own and will probably mark you as the first target to kill. Therefore, I'd say there's at least 1 item that's really good and cost effective for each role:

Mage - Rabadon's Deathcap: AP that you always need, and 40% additional AP from every other AP item you have or will have. I don't like rushing it however, and I usually get it as my second big item rather than the first.

ADC - Infinity Edge: A LOT of money, but pays off really well imo. The ability to crit and have a shitload of AD will help you whether you're doing good or bad, as opposed to say Bloodthirster. I avoid Bloodthirster first on my adcs, because it's too snowbally and if you get caught you just lost a ton of stacks. Again, this item is expensive, but I'd say it trumps Bloodthirster. In my experience you can win games with just an IE and a Vampiric Scepter, but not with just a BT. Even when you're building "hybrid" adcs like Corki and Ezreal who usually go Trinity Force first, you usually build an Infinity Edge second.

AD Jungle - Wriggle's Lantern: Best item for beginner junglers imo. Even in top tier it gets a lot of use... free ward, easy as shit jungle and additional armor.

Tank Jungle - Aegis of the Legion: A great balance of HP, Armor and MR which will get you through most games. It also allows your support to build other items such as Shurelya's, Zeke's or Solari.

Top - Frozen Mallet/Trinity Force: I think (personal opinion) either of these help tops do their job immensely. Some champs won't benefit from it as much of course, but I'd say they come through on most games.

It can be pretty tough to rush these items, and I'm not advising you to. You also need to learn the function of Gold per 10 (GP10) items on roles other than the support, mainly top and jungle. For example, if you're 0/5 as a top, can't farm and you're pissing your team off, you'd buy GP10. There's no way you're going to get back into the game by say, rushing a bloodthirster, so the best you can do is help on team fights, freeze your lane and farm with at least 2 GP10s to catch up. Also, if you're doing really well on farm, you'd get GP10s to get further ahead in gold, knowing that your opponent is scared shitless of you and won't trade unless his jungle is there. THERE IS NO SHAME IN GETTING GP10s IF YOU'RE DOING BAD. LET PEOPLE CALL YOU AN IDIOT IF THEY WANT TO.

Avoid niche and snowball items. Doran's Shield builds for example are REALLY SPECIFIC, and if you don't know what you're doing you'll die anyways and wish you'd bought boots to start. Guinsoo's Rageblade, Hextech Gunblade, Tiamat's, Executioner's, all of these and more are for really specific heroes and matches, and you should avoid them like the plague until you're more confident in your abilities.

To wrap it up, you also need to build according to the game you're playing. The items I described as cost-effective/core can be used in pretty much every game, and if you're feeling overwhelmed, you can use those always and build around them. Try to pick 1/2 roles to start with so you know how the game flows in those lanes: for example, mid roams and is really powerful (mostly) in the midgame, adc farms and carries the late game (because the mid's damage is usually not enough anymore), Tops on blue side help steal red and counterjungle, Vladimir farms, Leona is aggressive, etc, etc, etc.

And well, good luck.

Don't overextend. Probably the most important thing you have to keep on your mind. Like, play safe, don't stay too far from your towers or around places where the enemy might appear. Last hitting is important not only to get the money, but to not push the enemy out of lane

1. Look up builds/guides and get general idea what items are good for the current champion.
    2. Try the champion in a custom game before you play normal, with a bot, 1 on 1, to get general feel.
    3. Play safe. If you know you can't kill 4 enemies, don't go in and try to kill them. Try not to overextend and push lane too much, unless necessary.
    4. Take objectives and win, don't play team deathmatch, I've won so many games just by playing the objective, taking turrets, drakes and baron when needed instead of just going in and fighting like stupid.
    5. Learn how to last hit. Minions/creeps = money, and you know what money can do, right?

These are very basic rules I'd say.

10+ Year Old Account
    One tip I didn't see yet: Minions are way more important than you think.

They offer huge amounts of gold, but more importantly (possibly) they can also completely change the way a lane plays out due to their damage or the way the lane is being pushed.

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    One tip I didn't see yet: Minions are way more important than you think.

They offer huge amounts of gold, but more importantly (possibly) they can also completely change the way a lane plays out due to their damage or the way the lane is being pushed.
    I think I didn't see this in here;

If you have the choice between not dying + not getting any kills, or dying a lot and killing a lot, choose the first. Staying alive means you are not losing. Focus on getting last hits on minions. Do not focus on getting champions down if you don't know for certain that you'll come out alive. In contrary to popular believe, 1v1 exchanges are not a good deal.

They're only a good deal if your opponent has a killstreak and you can get a shutdown on them. In that case those ~400 extra gold will pay off. It's better to do this early game than late game due to resurrection times.

Why should you try to stay alive with 0 kills, instead of going for 1v1 exchanges? Simply put, if you overextend and you get ambushed by their jungler, you kill your lane opponent, but the jungler gets a kill on you and that repeats two or three times, that jungler is going to mess up all other lanes with the three kills you gave him.

You should always know the default build for champ in the role you pick him for. It's common courtesy to your fellow players. If you don't remember it, you can go to solomid.net or similar for a quick look when the game is loading up.

For a new player it's good to have just a small set of champions to circle between. Best to have a balanced roaster with champs for every role. Some champs can fill multiple roles, so that's a nice bonus.

Focus on you playing well in the game. Worst thing you can do is get thrown off your game by some emo spammer in chat.

When you die not only do you give gold to your opponent, but you lose xp and you lose gold from farming. Keep that in mind. Farm is very important and so is xp. If you are lvl 2 and enemy is lvl 1 ... you have huge advantage. If you are lvl 6 and enemy is lvl 5, that's big spike in power as well.

Keep track of enemy items, levels, summoner spells, ultimates as much as you are capable of.

Watch streams. Definitelly worth watching mid and top players. Junglers at least to learn different routes for different champs.

Last thing to keep in mind at low levels without runes and masteries jungling can be impossible on some jungler champions.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is only one thing you MUST learn before anything else. The balance between farming and harassing. Always focus on last hitting minions rather than doing some damage to the enemy. You will push their lane, be infront of them with gold earned AND if you attack the enemy champion, minions will attack you. And minions do a lot of damage, too many people neglect that.

So just learn to last hit and when and how to harass and you should be fine. It doesn't matter if you get a kill or not, as long as you force your enemy to stop farming and possibly gaining experience you win.... Unless they end up fed.

Deleted
    You can't play great from very beginning, if you manage to get some good win ratio it's just fine.

The reason why you will do wrong is quite simple, yet you can't do very much to improve it instantly - it is that you lack judgement. Knowing what happens and what you might change is the most one can do to win situations. Winning situations wins the game of course.
    You might be overaggressive and perhaps give up way too many kills, or you may be overpassive and losing teammates will bring you down, because you were not able to support them.

Also - are people normally this dickish in losses?
    And this is no problem. Here is why - all they can do is usually just to disrupt chat with some nasty stuff. This does not affect your game in any way, and if you have hard times ignoring them, there is a button in scoreboard to do it automatically. In any case they are just losing their own game even though they are 100% sure it is not their failure (as everyone is of course). Negative attitude usually results in demoralization, and ignorance usually support enemy snowballing (exploiting existing advantage to make it even bigger). Even positive chat can help you to win games, though it is not some magical thing to make you godly, it is certainly a factor.

Most important thing have is map awareness. Know where all the enemies are at all times. Do this by watching the minimap a lot. If you see that there are a lot of enemies in a certain lane you can be a little more liberal in pushing your lane or invading their jungle. Hopefully your support is warding, or your jungler and top (depending on who they are). Knowing where enemies are on the map is crucial.

Advice:

Get good at every champ. Play whatever your team needs and play it well. Find a friend who is GG to go up the rankings with.