Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

USA planned to bomb the moon

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-revealed.html

The USA during the Cold War planned to detonate a nuke on the moon, with the intention of flexing the god blessed muscle at Russia. Ofcourse, the fact this reckless move could have blown apart chunks of the moon, which would have fallen on Earth creating an untold amount od victims and massive damages as well as, maybe, moving the moon's orbit and causing it to crash into the Earth or simply leaving Earth's orbit in time, which would have meant the end of the world, wasn't enough for the "geniuses" over there at the time to not even consider such a mission.

But I guess it would have shown that USA brought the end of the world and, thus, surpassed Russia.

Typical dailytrash sensationalist junk.

Deleted
    I'm sorry, but I ain't even close to believing a story like this.

Lol, Daily Mail. And even if it's true, it was like... 60-70 years ago. People thought smoking was awesome for you back then.

People have dumb ideas behind closed doors. The important thing to remember is that this dumb idea never happened, so who cares.

Maybe they realised that the moon was actually needed for the survival of the planet and thought it best not to blow it up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or the fact is they did consider the reprecussions which is why they didn't go through with it. If you wish to be condescending, you should at least read the article you quote, even if it is the Daily Mail.

Deleted
    Eh, I doubt anyone sane would think of doing something like this.

Deleted
    I'm reluctant to take anything the Daily Mail publishes as fact and even so, both sides in the Cold War were frigging nuts and did terrible things. The whole period was ridiculous and showed a really nasty side to both the Capitalist "West" and the Red "East". The sooner that generation kick the bucket and get out of politics the better international diplomacy (and the world generally) will be for everybody, in my opinion.

Plus by the dailtrash's own admission:

"Military officials apparently abandoned the idea because of the danger to people on Earth in case the mission failed."

So what's the big deal? Just seizing on any excuse for America bashing?

Deleted
    Its all true, here is the delivery method!!!

Its the Daily mail.
    its the equivalent to the national enquirer, Take everything with a massive pinch of salt

10+ Year Old Account
    We had a lot of stupid plans in the cold war. Doesn't mean we were actually stupid enough to do them.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted

This is the first that comes in to my mind after reading the title

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    We had a lot of stupid plans in the cold war. Doesn't mean we were actually stupid enough to do them.
    Well, there were some...intruiging ideas which turned into complete failure:

Deleted
    Do not believe anything from the daily mail, they are a joke of a newspaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Gaga View Post

The USA during the Cold War planned to detonate a nuke on the moon, with the intention of flexing the god blessed muscle at Russia. Ofcourse, the fact this reckless move could have blown apart chunks of the moon, which would have fallen on Earth creating an untold amount od victims and massive damages as well as, maybe, moving the moon's orbit and causing it to crash into the Earth or simply leaving Earth's orbit in time, which would have meant the end of the world, wasn't enough for the "geniuses" over there at the time to not even consider such a mission.

But I guess it would have shown that USA brought the end of the world and, thus, surpassed Russia.
    Sounds legit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Gaga View Post

Even if this is true, just a detonation would not have done any of those things that you are saying it would have. Use a shred of logic.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Typical dailytrash sensationalist junk.
    Thank you. I agree 1000% with semaphore. Dailytrash is NOT a reliable source for anything, not even gossip.
    Even the USA wasn't that stupid to blow the moon into pieces, which a nuclear detonation would have achieved at least partly.

I had to laugh at the headline only because I watched the movie Iron Sky over the weekend. It's a movie about Nazi's hiding in secret building weapons and planning to have their revenge. Luckily, Sarah Palin saved us.

Blow chunks of the Moon ? Are you serious ? Do you know how nuclear bombs work ?
    The Moon has been hit by things thousands of times more powerful than the strongest nuclear bombs we could ever produce. As well as the Earth, by the way.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2012-11-26 at 02:51 PM.