Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

What do you know about Finland?

You may know it as the land of many lakes, home of Nokia or something else maybe? Share you thoughts cause i'm really interested what they tell you about my country

Deleted
    Very cold, the people are drunk and violent that stab each other a lot. A stereotype is all I have.

I'll tell you in a month, after I've been there...

You guys like car racing.

It's not even considered slightly wierd for 10 fully naked drunk men in a 2x2m sauna to whip each other with branches of birch. When they're done they go outside in the snow(still naked)and bring out their knives and start fighting. Most of the time it's all good and they all end up alright.

Deleted
    I went to Finland on a school trip about 9 years ago. All that comes to mind is Nokia, rubber boots and how cold it was. Also, your capital is Helsinki. For some reason, almost every Dane I know will say, "yksi, kaksi, kolme" when asked if they speak Finnish.

That's about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    They have DREAM Paragon, great hockey players, and South Park nuked them.

Deleted
    Finnish partisans were responsible for the naming of Molotov Cocktails, not the Soviets as I had always thought. They were staunchly anti-Communist and had several nasty fights with the Reds. They helped Tsarist loyalists, as 'Whites' in the Russian Civil War. They don't seem to be considered as Scandinavian as the rest of the Nordic countries.

Paragon are a Finnish guild, usually doing world first stuff. Otherwise, really nice country...

10+ Year Old Account
    Well based on my own visit, I can tell you that--

Quote Originally Posted by Sillikoni View Post
    i'm really interested what they tell you about my country
    Oh, nevermind. Well I can tell you this at least: I plan to go back. I'm out of mintuu and suffeli.

Deleted
    We're a gloomy bunch of people.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Population of Finland is less than the population of NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown
    "The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time"

10+ Year Old Account
    It's really named Suomi, the capital is Helsinki, they kicked Russian ass in the Winter War, and there seems to be an unhealthy obsession with McDonalds when the bars let out on a Saturday night. Swear to god, bouncer at the door to McDonalds and an 80 foot long line of people waiting to get in, and there's practically a McDonalds on every block near downtown Helsinki.

---------- Post added 2012-11-26 at 03:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Baiyn View Post
    Finnish partisans were responsible for the naming of Molotov Cocktails, not the Soviets as I had always thought. They were staunchly anti-Communist and had several nasty fights with the Reds. They helped Tsarist loyalists, as 'Whites' in the Russian Civil War. They don't seem to be considered as Scandinavian as the rest of the Nordic countries.
    Well Finnish is a Uralic language, like Estonian, not a Nordic language. I don't know if this is true in Finnish also, but in Estonian, the way you say "The 12th month" sounds like English "cocks taste good."

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, every Finn I met while in Estonia was unintelligibly drunk.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2012-11-26 at 03:34 PM.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Finland fucked up the Soviets during WW2.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_9cHkMILP4_...800/fdccax.jpg
    Last edited by Rukentuts; 2012-11-26 at 03:38 PM.

One of my friends from WoW was actually finnish so I know a couple of things.

They really destroyed the soviets in a war, a lot of people own saunas and thats a regular activity they do, national service is in place (something I found very interesting).

Oh and Lusikka means spoon in finnish I believe.

You know, for a kitten that shits rainbows, you seem to like to stay inside the box.

Ok few things:

1. Very cold and you have Santa living somwhere there.
    2. People are very introverted, not that open to share their emotions.
    3. Something about your faces, you all look-alike, like you don't breed with outsiders (which honestly I don't think it's a good thing).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose19 View Post
    3. Something about your faces, you all look-alike, like you don't breed with outsiders (which honestly I don't think it's a good thing).
    That's a coy way of saying all finns look inbred

I know that Finland are great at hockey, held off a Russian invasion several times in the Winter War(s), have an extremely high standard of education, drink a lot, and that they have an extreme political party called something like the "true-finns" xd

10+ Year Old Account
    As a Finn it's so fun to read this thread! Tell us more! : D

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    That's a coy way of saying all finns look inbred
    Yeah :P Example of perfect finish person would be for me Janne Ahonen. He is introverted, has "finish face" and likes racing. Really liked him as Ski Jumper, he and Adam Malysz will be my all time favourite jumpers.