Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is it worth leveling a rogue to 90?

I have thought about leveling a new alt that focuses on PvP, particulary open world PvP and battlegrounds. I am interested in trying a rogue. But I have heard from plenty of players that rogue damage, mobility and survivability is pretty bad, and average at best compared to other classes. Is it really as bad as people say, or do they exaggerate?

I am curious to hear your opinions. I don't want to waste time leveling a character from 1 to 90 only to find out that the class is not as useful I expected for pvp.

yes you heard right rogue is medicore at best i wouldnt bother leveling a rogue to 90 you could level a druid if you want stealth you can also heal and tank with druids, you could also level a hunter who can stealth like rogues and feral druids

Quote Originally Posted by Snorri View Post
    I have thought about leveling a new alt that focuses on PvP, particulary open world PvP and battlegrounds. I am interested in trying a rogue. But I have heard from plenty of players that rogue damage, mobility and survivability is pretty bad, and average at best compared to other classes. Is it really as bad as people say, or do they exaggerate?

I am curious to hear your opinions. I don't want to waste time leveling a character from 1 to 90 only to find out that the class is not as useful I expected for pvp.
    Whilst you are right, Rogue is struggling this tier and it's not exaggerated. But this is only with PvE. I am pretty sure Rogue still performs fine in PvP. Besides Sub rogue has a lot of really good cooldowns.

This sort of stuff does change, and will change. Each tier/season it different for most classes so just level what you have the most fun with, this is a game after all.
    Last edited by Lidenbok; 2012-11-26 at 04:13 PM.

If you are a FotM player then maybe not, otherwise or if you enjoy the rogue then certainly. Its not top, but its viable.

Ignore the negativity. The rogue is still fun, they are just coming out of a high point where all the re-rollers are disappointed. But average has never meant bad.

I know 4 rogues who raid successfully, they are not bottom by any means. I know a couple who pvp, it's not great (thanks to some of the burst classes and offspec healing) but its not bad and rogues are fine.

EDIT: My rogue is still 85, but i am planning on taking it to 90 very soon.
    Last edited by Dietrik; 2012-11-26 at 04:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithus View Post
    Whilst you are right, Rogue is struggling this tier and it's not exaggerated. But this is only with PvE. I am pretty sure Rogue still performs fine in PvP. Besides Sub rogue has a lot of really good cooldowns.

This sort of stuff does change, and will change. Each tier/season it different for most classes so just level what you have the most fun with, this is a game after all.
    From what I've read/experienced, this is completely backwards. Rogues in PvE aren't having any issue keeping up (when properly geared; lagging behind at the very start), but the gameplay is a little un-rewarding compared to what you'd expect.

As for PvP, I'm told that it just isn't keeping up the way it used to, but the best stop-gap is to try paralytic poison for the shiv root. OP: rogues aren't where they've been in the past, but if you are a rogue lover you'll still like rogues. If you're not really into it and you're just picking a class to focus on, I wouldn't stop at rogues.

Deleted
    the problem with rouges are the fotm rollers from DS with welfare daggers just being able to nuke dowen anything. they are not at the top atm, but the are not in the bottom either. and next patch they might be up in the top again. Rouges have allways been good at pvp, and excel at world pvp due to stealth

I wouldn't level a rogue for PvP unless you just do BGs (rated or not). Arena is straight up broken for rogues. We're fine in PvE (and really shine on a few fights), but it sounds like your focus is PvP.

You can effectively play Combat as CC/debuff support in RBGs while being able to kill something with your cooldowns very, very quickly. Just run Wound and Mind-Numbing + 4pc Crip and FoK/Shiv/Gouge/Stun everything you see. Shroud and Smoke Bomb are very useful with an organized team as well. Regular BGs are full of bads, so you can rock it as any class if you're not also bad.

Fire Mage is a lot of fun. Giving that they may nerf PvP Power healing for hybrid DPS in 5.1, I would be hesitant to level a hybrid.

i predict rogues wont be top at the end of the expasion because of all the nerfs they wont undo them, we still have to choose between Shs and prep and all out passive crit damage and crit chance all gone

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought it was the other way round rogues are good PvE wise but utter crap come PvP the streams ive watched shows rogues in top 5 for PvE raid Damage
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

Quote Originally Posted by Snorri View Post
    I have thought about leveling a new alt that focuses on PvP, particulary open world PvP and battlegrounds. I am interested in trying a rogue.
    At this point in time, rogue is by far the worst class you could be rolling to focus on PvP. There is nothing, and I mean NOTHING out there that a rogue can look at and think "ive got better than 50/50 chance of killing that". Many classes are 80/20 in their favour against rogues and several specs can count a rogue as a free kill.

If you want to be endlessly competetive in PvP. Roll a mage or Warlock.

Deleted
    Negative.
    Try other game that have rogue...true rogue as an option

Deleted
    If you were interested in PVE, then I would say you could give it a try, you can pump out some decent dps when you get enough gear, even if the class still feels outdated, uninspired, slow and boring.

But for PVP, heck, stay the hell away from our class atm, its in such a bad state I don't even know where to start.
    Last edited by mmoc785ca38ad1; 2012-11-26 at 10:54 PM.

If you mainly want it for pvp then I'd say now it's not the best to roll a rogue. Maybe in future patches they will fix our mobility and damage outside of the burst window. It's difficult to predict...we scale very well with gear meaning that in later tier we might have godly dps even in pvp but will still lack any real kind of mobility.

Our mobility is trash, our burst and sustained damage isn't great, our survivability is weak, and a lot of our cooldowns have have been made worse, or had better versions given to other classes.

I'm leveling my rouge right now, almost level 89. I was playing as Assa, but it's boring so I went Sub. I think it's a lot of fun and I like the variation you can do on openers depending on enemies and how you can use your tools to control the mobs if you pull too much.
    Blind one, KS the other while you go Shadow Dance and burst down the 3rd so you can queue them up for a controlled kill sequence.
    Just remember to take the Glyph: Deadly Momentum. With that you can keep up your SnD and Recuperate almost infinitely if you go from one mob to the other. 0 downtime.

I'm also thinking about trying out a Rogue, mostly for PvP. I play a Mage as my main and I really enjoy it. I have played a Warrior and a Death Knight in Battlegrounds at 85 but for some reason the classes just don't seem that appealing. They feel a little slow and clunky. I really enjoy the control over situations that you get with a Mage. You can extend fights and generally the longer the fight goes the better chance I feel I have of winning.

My impression of rogues is that they have a pretty quick, "stabby" playstyle with (what feels like unlimited) stuns and slows. Do Rogures offer a good amount of control or am I misguided in my thinking here? How is low level pvp for Rogues? Is there a good bracket to shoot for where I can see if I want to take one all the way to max level?

My impression of rogues is that they have a pretty quick, "stabby" playstyle with (what feels like unlimited) stuns and slows. Do Rogures offer a good amount of control or am I misguided in my thinking here? How is low level pvp for Rogues? Is there a good bracket to shoot for where I can see if I want to take one all the way to max level?
    Somewhat accurate, but there are a ton of ways to nullify your stuns and slows so you have em.. but most of the time they are not effective.

Honestly? No. It's not worth doing a Rogue for PVP or PVE right now. I recommend playing something else entirely.
    Meep~

Rogues are fine, if you enjoy playing a stealth melee class then rogue is decent.

rogues are not fine, and if you want to play a stealth class, APPARENTLY PRIEST IS A BETTER ALTERNATIVE, WHO KNEW? dont lvl a rogue or you will waste countless of hours trying your hardest to perform mediocre at best.