Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by efsunshine View Post
    2. I'm trying to get my head around the whole orange gear concept. Adaptive gear = custom gear? And as long as I upgrade the mods inside them, they'll stay relevant while I level?

    Thanks!
    No. Adaptive and costume gear are two different things. Adaptive gear adapts your inherit armor class ( Light for Inqui/Consular, Heavy for BH/Trooper and so forth) which opens the possibility of some interesting cross-class looks.

    Costume gear is the orange stuff which has 3 mod slots (Armoring, Mod, Enhancement) and can quasi be upgraded with new mods as you level up. It lets you choose the look you want basically.

    To your artifact unlock question: Yes, while leveling you should have no problems avoiding purple gear.

  2. #42
    WARNING:

    The restrictions on F2P and even preferred status players is outrageous. While it is true you will be able to play to 50 the features blocked to you are staggering.

    As a free to play or preferred status player you options will cripple your experience quite a bit if you are all familiar with how the game normally works.

    You can buy a few unlocks using credits from other players but the limitations on a free account will make even that hard. Not to mention there are many idiots selling these unlocks at prices way beyond the credit cap of anyone it would be of benefit to.

    If you are looking to seriously or even kinda seriously play a F2P game look anywhere else. So many other F2P games give you so many more options then this game.

    If you want to play JUST for the story and don't care about arduous or ridiculously restricted play, the game could be ok but if you are looking for a pleasant and comfortable play without feeling spited by the company begging for money at every turn go elsewhere.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-06 at 07:52 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Kuthe View Post
    ^
    Sadly agree 100% with this.
    I downloaded it again, without reading up what would happen in F2P.
    I'm ashamed of spending money for this.
    Honestly went to a bad cause.

    Bet other F2P companies follow this absolute trash attempt at F2P MMO's and it will just cause problems for all of us.
    Yey -_-
    Yea I feel like Bioware spit in my face. I invested in thier game for months and they throw it to garbage like this.

    Makes me greatly regret ever supporting them. I am also afraid others might follow in Biowares shitty footsteps they took with this MMO.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Argroth View Post
    WARNING:

    The restrictions on F2P and even preferred status players is outrageous. While it is true you will be able to play to 50 the features blocked to you are staggering.

    As a free to play or preferred status player you options will cripple your experience quite a bit if you are all familiar with how the game normally works.

    You can buy a few unlocks using credits from other players but the limitations on a free account will make even that hard. Not to mention there are many idiots selling these unlocks at prices way beyond the credit cap of anyone it would be of benefit to.

    If you are looking to seriously or even kinda seriously play a F2P game look anywhere else. So many other F2P games give you so many more options then this game.

    If you want to play JUST for the story and don't care about arduous or ridiculously restricted play, the game could be ok but if you are looking for a pleasant and comfortable play without feeling spited by the company begging for money at every turn go elsewhere.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-06 at 07:52 AM ----------



    Yea I feel like Bioware spit in my face. I invested in thier game for months and they throw it to garbage like this.

    Makes me greatly regret ever supporting them. I am also afraid others might follow in Biowares shitty footsteps they took with this MMO.
    it's more seemingly restrictive than in actuality. The ability to buy pretty much everything on the GTN for creds is the biggest unrestrictive thing out there. Literally every restriction is being sold for creds on the GTN.

    Yeah, it takes some creds, but really if you level to 50, cash is insanely easy to come by. I'd actually also say that a f2p player, if they only take up gathering professions and slicing stand a good chance at making extremely easy cash throughout the game.

    And while some items might seem a bit overpriced to you, it may not for others. Add that the GTN and Cartel items and unlocks are pretty new to the market and as such there is going to be a massive fluctuation in pricing for another few months until people begin to realize what this stuff is actually worth and what f2p players and hell, even subs are willing to pay for it.

    But again, literally every restriction is buyable by credits from the GTN in the game and as thus, it really isn't very restrictive, and as such a f2p may not have to shell out any money whatsoever if he just diligent about doing dailies and maybe even just play the GTN minigame for more creds too.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by anyaka21 View Post
    it's more seemingly restrictive than in actuality. The ability to buy pretty much everything on the GTN for creds is the biggest unrestrictive thing out there. Literally every restriction is being sold for creds on the GTN.

    Yeah, it takes some creds, but really if you level to 50, cash is insanely easy to come by. I'd actually also say that a f2p player, if they only take up gathering professions and slicing stand a good chance at making extremely easy cash throughout the game.

    And while some items might seem a bit overpriced to you, it may not for others. Add that the GTN and Cartel items and unlocks are pretty new to the market and as such there is going to be a massive fluctuation in pricing for another few months until people begin to realize what this stuff is actually worth and what f2p players and hell, even subs are willing to pay for it.

    But again, literally every restriction is buyable by credits from the GTN in the game and as thus, it really isn't very restrictive, and as such a f2p may not have to shell out any money whatsoever if he just diligent about doing dailies and maybe even just play the GTN minigame for more creds too.
    really? I know I had slicing when I quit playing in like March and after they nerfed slicing the *only* way I could make money from it was from a few specific gathering quests that gave me things I could sell on the GTN, but the whole making tons of money off of it is far out the window.

    and like people have said, the problem is the things that people at 50 benefit from requires a ton of credits, what good are those things to someone whose playing the game f2p? what good is it to them when they've been dedicated to the game for 50 horrible f2p levels, to have to slowly, over months, get credits to buy things or, just easily spend real life money on things?

    it is incredibly restrictive, just because there are ways to do something doesn't make it any less restrictive. "If you don't mind this being a huge pain in the ass, it's totally do-able" yeah, that's great.

    you know, the fact they peg something like restricting actions bars, as something that gets restricted, just makes me angry. I mean I bought the game, I have the 4 slots, but that still makes me mad. I've played a lot of f2p games, but this... well, I can't say these restrictions made me quit again, the PvP made me quit and the fact it's changed by nothing at all made me do that... honestly, if I just picked this game up as a f2p player, I'd have put it in the dust a week later. No offense to you guys who play and enjoy the game, maybe because i've played it before I have a bitter taste in my mouth, but this is not a game I would ever, ever, ever recommend to anyone.

  5. #45
    It's funny that nobody ever mentions the restrictions you can't actually lift with unlocks. The ridiculous low credit cap for one. There are also caps on chat functionality, guild management, commendations.

  6. #46
    I don't get why you people say the game is so restrictive. Sure, the 2 action bars was a pain but that was fixed. I'm at level 36 on a Knight I started leveling after the game went f2p and I'm actually having an easier time with the leveling than on my first char, who was 3 levels under the zone it was in, throughout chapters 2 and 3. I'm playing more cautious, I'm doing more PVP/FPs and I feel like that has improved my gameplay experience.

    Sure, having to go to the commendation vendors to avoid the commendation caps can make one waste a few mins, but that happens at maximum once per planet. The field revives restriction is easily avoided, if, well, you don't die, which to be fair isn't that hard.

    Naturally, they want you to subscribe, so I guess at maximum level it might feel more restrictive, but for those interested in leveling, in the class stories, it isn't as bad as some people are painting it. Especially given they announced they would increase the character cap.

  7. #47
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    13,197
    Quote Originally Posted by Nris View Post
    It's funny that nobody ever mentions the restrictions you can't actually lift with unlocks. The ridiculous low credit cap for one. There are also caps on chat functionality, guild management, commendations.
    Do you know why? Many of them are pretty standard for F2P games. Some games allow their 'preferred' status to increase these, sure. Which hopefully they look at doing in the future. Most of them are combinations of spam/gold seller/hacker control or just to prevent an unpleasant experience for people who are playing for a subscription. These things aren't mentioned because they don't matter nearly as much.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by chocobo606 View Post
    really? I know I had slicing when I quit playing in like March and after they nerfed slicing the *only* way I could make money from it was from a few specific gathering quests that gave me things I could sell on the GTN, but the whole making tons of money off of it is far out the window.

    and like people have said, the problem is the things that people at 50 benefit from requires a ton of credits, what good are those things to someone whose playing the game f2p? what good is it to them when they've been dedicated to the game for 50 horrible f2p levels, to have to slowly, over months, get credits to buy things or, just easily spend real life money on things?

    it is incredibly restrictive, just because there are ways to do something doesn't make it any less restrictive. "If you don't mind this being a huge pain in the ass, it's totally do-able" yeah, that's great.

    you know, the fact they peg something like restricting actions bars, as something that gets restricted, just makes me angry. I mean I bought the game, I have the 4 slots, but that still makes me mad. I've played a lot of f2p games, but this... well, I can't say these restrictions made me quit again, the PvP made me quit and the fact it's changed by nothing at all made me do that... honestly, if I just picked this game up as a f2p player, I'd have put it in the dust a week later. No offense to you guys who play and enjoy the game, maybe because i've played it before I have a bitter taste in my mouth, but this is not a game I would ever, ever, ever recommend to anyone.
    I can tell you don't like the game, but it's interesting that you'd call it 50 horrible levels when by all accounts the level process in the game, for most people, with the story line is one of the most enjoyable leveling experiences in an mmo.

    And yeah, there are restrictions, but as said with just some credit, it's easily overcome. For example inventory slots are selling for 90k on the GTN as of 2 minutes ago. That's actually less than it takes to upgrade them after a while just buying them from the slot in game for the last 2.

    Another interesting twist that some have said but seemingly don't understand is the credit cap. For preferred customers (those that bought the game or spent $5 on it) it's 350k. And while that might sound restrictive, it is actually beneficial. Meaning that people trying to sell the stuff on the GTN are going to have learn that and it will keep pricing down.

    You just have to understand that this is a f2p. EA/BW actually want you to spend money on the game at some point. They don't want to provide a completely free experience for people, they actually want them to spend money so they can keep the lights on and the game running.

    And yeah, maybe the 2 quickslot bars was a tad overly restrictive, however EA/BW saw this as a deal breaker for a lot of people and actually changed it to the 4 bars now. I'm sure they are learning from their mistakes and are making steps to rectifying them as well.

    And yeah, while restrictive on face value for some things, again, the GTN is selling everything, and therefore if people want a completely free experience then they'll have to learn to deal with this. And honestly, imo, if you don't want to spend a dime on the game, this kind of restrictive is ok by me.
    Last edited by anyaka21; 2012-12-06 at 02:20 PM.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Do you know why? Many of them are pretty standard for F2P games. Some games allow their 'preferred' status to increase these, sure. Which hopefully they look at doing in the future. Most of them are combinations of spam/gold seller/hacker control or just to prevent an unpleasant experience for people who are playing for a subscription. These things aren't mentioned because they don't matter nearly as much.
    Once again you miss the point entirely and state your opinion as fact.

    The point is even willing to dump a buttload of cash into the game you will never get to the same status as a subscriber. This is a major flaw of the so called F2P system EA has implemented.
    The point is not to get everything for free but to have actually the ability to unlock what I want from the game without it sniping me at every turn. As it stands now SWTOR has a glorified trial program which is nothing more then a sorry excuse to double dip actual subscribers. Monthly updates for cartel packs ringing any bells?

  10. #50
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    13,197
    Quote Originally Posted by Nris View Post
    Once again you miss the point entirely and state your opinion as fact.
    Considering I'm the one who wrote the guide, I'm pretty sure I have the right to say why I didn't include certain restrictions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nris View Post
    The point is even willing to dump a buttload of cash into the game you will never get to the same status as a subscriber. This is a major flaw of the so called F2P system EA has implemented.
    The point is not to get everything for free but to have actually the ability to unlock what I want from the game without it sniping me at every turn. As it stands now SWTOR has a glorified trial program which is nothing more then a sorry excuse to double dip actual subscribers. Monthly updates for cartel packs ringing any bells?
    I'd love to know how I missed the point, when you didn't say anything about it. Do you want people to read your mind?

    Here is what you said again for your reference:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nris View Post
    It's funny that nobody ever mentions the restrictions you can't actually lift with unlocks. The ridiculous low credit cap for one. There are also caps on chat functionality, guild management, commendations.
    So back to what you wrote this time, which is completely different than the point you presented in your quote. I can agree that never being able to reach the same level as a subscriber no matter how much money you spend is awkward and not preferred. In fact, I have gone over that in great detail in rants regarding F2P. I wouldn't expect you to know that since you haven't really been around here.

    To the next point, where you say that this is a glorified trial that only exists to double dip from subscribers...So which is it? Is it a glorified trial, which by definition exists to get people to 'buy in' to the full experience (ie. subscribe) or is it to double dip from subscribers? I said that the majority of their income from this will probably come from subscribers dropping more money on it, which isn't exactly 'bad', but I don't really like it either.

    You just don't present any coherent and connected thoughts. Make up your mind about what you want to complain about before you explode with no focus because you want to be angry.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Nris View Post
    It's funny that nobody ever mentions the restrictions you can't actually lift with unlocks. The ridiculous low credit cap for one. There are also caps on chat functionality, guild management, commendations.
    Yep it's those convenient forgetful moments that make people who praise sunshine and rainbows over this game look like ridiculous fanboys that can't be taken seriously.

    It's sickening how fanboys will turn the other cheek at these things and try to direct you elsewhere with only half assed arguments like "You can buy unlocks (Uhhh.... for some things and ridiculous prices)" or stupid things like personal experiences or outright guesses like "Credits are easy to make" and "I'd bet its easier to make credits as a F2p"

    It's just sad when people fight the obvious truth that as a F2P game it comes nowhere near any other F2P games. Even as a Subbed game it barely holds up to other subbed MMOs.

    I once again would like to spit on Bioware for getting my hopes up just to crash the game into the ground like they did and on all the people who welcomed this shitty change with open arms.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Argroth View Post
    Yep it's those convenient forgetful moments that make people who praise sunshine and rainbows over this game look like ridiculous fanboys that can't be taken seriously.

    It's sickening how fanboys will turn the other cheek at these things and try to direct you elsewhere with only half assed arguments like "You can buy unlocks (Uhhh.... for some things and ridiculous prices)" or stupid things like personal experiences or outright guesses like "Credits are easy to make" and "I'd bet its easier to make credits as a F2p"

    It's just sad when people fight the obvious truth that as a F2P game it comes nowhere near any other F2P games. Even as a Subbed game it barely holds up to other subbed MMOs.

    I once again would like to spit on Bioware for getting my hopes up just to crash the game into the ground like they did and on all the people who welcomed this shitty change with open arms.
    you can spin it however you like, but my points still stand. Credits aren't that hard to make. A simple gathering profession and selling them on the GTN is easy money. Slicing is easy money. And yeah, if you watch the GTN, you will find deals on cartel items and unlocks. It will just require some work on your part. It's really not that different from any mmo on the market, you just have to find out what makes you money. Hell, I was able to buy all my toons their 280% mounts in BC because I knew how to farm the mats for raiding potions and I pretty much had my niche. And back in the day, those mounts were expensive. And that was for 7 toons, 5 on alliance side and 2 on horde side (I had to use the black market AH to transfer the gold, but losing that didn't bother me)

    Add that, I have only 1 50 at this point, a guardian who has been 50 for less than a week, and he already has over 1mil creds. And it could be higher if I wasn't using him to support my other toons and horde some mats for other professions too.

    The fact remains, and what I'm seeing from most of the people complaining and whining on this SWTOR forum about f2p, is that they aren't getting a free ride. They want the game to be absolutely free without spending a dime, doing whatever they want, whenever they want. The simple fact is that with any f2p game, you are going to be confronted with the need to spend real life cash a lot. If you don't like it, don't play, and I'd suggest to you, never ever play another f2p game because you'll have a lot of the same restrictions. Sure some restrictions will be less, but some restrictions will be more. And you be constantly bombarded with the "this is what real cash will get you".

    And if you don't like it, basically enjoy WoW while it lasts. It may well be the last pay-to-play mmo on the market. Personally, I find it interesting that we haven't heard anything about Titan for around 3 years. You'd think by now we would have heard something a little more concrete. I'd venture that Blizzard is waiting to where the market ends up.

    By this I mean multiple things:
    1) how long will WoW in reality and reliably make money
    2) is the market going to support a p2p model anymore outside of WoW
    3) is the market going to go towards something smaller. Meaning, is the desktop going to die, and everything goes smaller towards tablets and phones.

  13. #53
    Got two questions regarding the character restrictions as well as the credit cap. Played the game a bit at release and ended up with around 10 chars and quite a bit over the 200k, (350k?), credit cap, so I was wondering with the current restrictions on ftp if I can still play on all of my chars or if I can only log on to two of them and then the rest gets locked?

    Also got a bit confused about the credit cap, it only prevents me from earning more if I'm over the cap and doesn't make me lose any, right?

  14. #54
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    13,197
    Quote Originally Posted by Radnomize View Post
    Got two questions regarding the character restrictions as well as the credit cap. Played the game a bit at release and ended up with around 10 chars and quite a bit over the 200k, (350k?), credit cap, so I was wondering with the current restrictions on ftp if I can still play on all of my chars or if I can only log on to two of them and then the rest gets locked?

    Also got a bit confused about the credit cap, it only prevents me from earning more if I'm over the cap and doesn't make me lose any, right?
    Right now all characters are playable. Some time in December you will have to choose 6 character to be permanently active and pay to activate additional slots afaik.

    The cap doesn't technically make you 'lose' any, but since the only way to get them is to subscribe...then yes you 'lose' them. They won't replenish once you've spent them or anything. If you subscribe, you will find your wealth magically reappears. If you have millions, like 4-10 Million, I would come back as a sub for 1 month before dec 20 to get your Cartel Coins and buy unlocks on your server from the GTN. You may want to price check for a few days before you take that plunge though.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Right now all characters are playable. Some time in December you will have to choose 6 character to be permanently active and pay to activate additional slots afaik.

    The cap doesn't technically make you 'lose' any, but since the only way to get them is to subscribe...then yes you 'lose' them. They won't replenish once you've spent them or anything. If you subscribe, you will find your wealth magically reappears. If you have millions, like 4-10 Million, I would come back as a sub for 1 month before dec 20 to get your Cartel Coins and buy unlocks on your server from the GTN. You may want to price check for a few days before you take that plunge though.
    That cleared things up a bit, thanks a lot.

  16. #56
    Thanks guys for the answers on orange gear. I am wondering how often do you guys update the mods in the orange gear? In WoW, I'd update greens in 5 levels, blues in about 6-8 and epics (if I found any) every 10 while leveling. Made a cybertech alt over the weekend (thanks kitty for the suggestion) and saw that the mods update every one/two levels but the gains are kinda marginal?? Why bother putting these recipes in like this? Is there a good rule to follow here with regards to upgrades? I've been using the AH sparingly (trying) and with cybertech I use just commendations to buy barrels and enhancements for my trooper.

    More questions:

    1. Is there any way to batch process an item in crafting? Can only make things one at a time or did I miss something?

    2. What is the event gear authorization unlock for?

    3. What's the best way of getting money to an alt? I could send them things to sell on the AH, but being still gimped at 2/5 slots all that does is create a backlog. I understand to some extent why preferred can't send cash to other players through the mail, but why not to alts? It makes little sense to me.


    Lastly some feedback on leveling xp as preferred:
    I don't think it's as gimped as people are making it out to be. I finished Ord Mantell at about 11.5 and Coruscant about 2/3s of the way to L19. I did all the class quests, regular quests + bonus, all the heroics once, chased down a couple datacrons relevant to my class, did one weekly allotment of space pew pew when I got my spaceship (won't be buying access to those on the store, sorry they suck) and the Esseles once. I didn't grind out piles of mobs, just only cleared to resource nodes and on my way to quest objectives. If there was a bunch of them in a nice group and my mortar volley was off cd...well, you know you'd melt them down too. I don't see how people are really under leveled unless they're skipping content. I remember reading somewhere that BW/EA did bump up subscriber xp gains in a patch before f2p, so maybe f2p xp is really the old subscriber xp? Have no way of checking, but that's my suspicion anyway.

    Anyway, thanks for the advice--I appreciate it.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Noujou View Post
    i was a beta tester for SWTOR...got the CE and that jazz...was really excited about it going to F2P...havn't touched it since, thanks to this terribad f2p model :/
    It truely is terribad, only BioWare/EA could manage to fuck it this bad. I actually had SWTOR subscription from launch until July and was relatively happy just playing it as single player game progressing through the different class stories, but I still don't want to come back to this shit they call F2P. Should have just copied LotRO eg.

  18. #58
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    UK - North East England
    Posts
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by efsunshine View Post
    Thanks guys for the answers on orange gear. I am wondering how often do you guys update the mods in the orange gear?
    Made a cybertech alt over the weekend (thanks kitty for the suggestion) and saw that the mods update every one/two levels but the gains are kinda marginal?? Why bother putting these recipes in like this? Is there a good rule to follow here with regards to upgrades.
    If you have a crew skill that makes mods (Cybertech or Artifice) I would upgrade them as often as you can make them as you will be levelling your crew skill as well as keeping your gear up to date.
    Do you know that when you RE items you have made you have a chance learn how to make the next rarity up? i.e. RE greens to learn blues, RE blues to learn purples. I tend to have my crew skills making items useable a couple of levels above my character level so by the time I get to that level I have had enough time to learned how to make the blue for that level. Keeping mods updated this way allows me to use my planet comms to update a green or blue item with an orange item when possible. To be honest though levelling is quite easy in TOR so it will not harm you if your gear is not bang up to date with your level until you get to max level.

    Quote Originally Posted by efsunshine View Post
    1. Is there any way to batch process an item in crafting? Can only make things one at a time or did I miss something?
    Unless it is different for non-subscribers each companion should be able to queue up 5 items at a time .
    Quote Originally Posted by efsunshine View Post
    2. What is the event gear authorization unlock for?
    I'm guessing but I think it is for gear that you buy from event vendors...like the sand people armour from the last event or the containment officer gear from the rakghoul event.

    Quote Originally Posted by efsunshine View Post
    3. What's the best way of getting money to an alt? I could send them things to sell on the AH, but being still gimped at 2/5 slots all that does is create a backlog. I understand to some extent why preferred can't send cash to other players through the mail, but why not to alts? It makes little sense to me.
    Not sure about this, I'm not fully up to speed with the non-subscribers restrictions.
    Quote Originally Posted by efsunshine View Post
    Lastly some feedback on leveling xp as preferred:
    I don't think it's as gimped as people are making it out to be. I finished Ord Mantell at about 11.5 and Coruscant about 2/3s of the way to L19. I did all the class quests, regular quests + bonus, all the heroics once, chased down a couple datacrons relevant to my class, did one weekly allotment of space pew pew when I got my spaceship (won't be buying access to those on the store, sorry they suck) and the Esseles once. I didn't grind out piles of mobs, just only cleared to resource nodes and on my way to quest objectives. If there was a bunch of them in a nice group and my mortar volley was off cd...well, you know you'd melt them down too. I don't see how people are really under leveled unless they're skipping content. I remember reading somewhere that BW/EA did bump up subscriber xp gains in a patch before f2p, so maybe f2p xp is really the old subscriber xp? Have no way of checking, but that's my suspicion anyway.
    Anyway, thanks for the advice--I appreciate it.
    Yeah, I don't have any numbers to back it up but from what I've seen with my son's xp gain compared to mine I would guess it is the order of a 25% reduction for preferred status player. I've been meaning to do some numbers tests but when it comes to it I either forget or just cba and get on with playing.
    Last edited by Bolverk; 2012-12-11 at 02:01 AM.

  19. #59
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    13,197
    Quote Originally Posted by efsunshine View Post
    3. What's the best way of getting money to an alt? I could send them things to sell on the AH, but being still gimped at 2/5 slots all that does is create a backlog. I understand to some extent why preferred can't send cash to other players through the mail, but why not to alts? It makes little sense to me.
    Making money as a preferred player really requires you to be max level and do dailies. Other than that, I recommend using slicing as you level to earn credits and not training any other crafting professions as they are credit sinks. Once you are in a comfortable place with your unlocks, you can go nuts.

  20. #60
    Thanks guys for the responses!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolverk View Post
    Do you know that when you RE items you have made you have a chance learn how to make the next rarity up? i.e. RE greens to learn blues, RE blues to learn purples. I tend to have my crew skills making items useable a couple of levels above my character level so by the time I get to that level I have had enough time to learned how to make the blue for that level. Keeping mods updated this way allows me to use my planet comms to update a green or blue item with an orange item when possible. To be honest though levelling is quite easy in TOR so it will not harm you if your gear is not bang up to date with your level until you get to max level.
    I like the RE system a lot. It's nice not to have to vendor trash all the skill up greens in an mmo for once. I've been only doing the mods that are relevant to my trooper and RE until I get the blue recipe. If I still have some skill up points to the next tier, I get the stat mod for my alt and try for the blue recipe there. Not going to bother with the epic mods in leveling. As soon as I clear a tier of mats, the remainder go on the AH...they're pretty easy to farm later as needed when I have a speeder. I think that is as efficient as I can get with things while leveling.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolverk View Post
    Unless it is different for non-subscribers each companion should be able to queue up 5 items at a time .
    This is pulling up the crafting panel and clicking "craft" 5 times? I think it's different for nonsubs since it's greyed out after you send your companion off once.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolverk View Post
    Yeah, I don't have any numbers to back it up but from what I've seen with my son's xp gain compared to mine I would guess it is the order of a 25% reduction for preferred status player. I've been meaning to do some numbers tests but when it comes to it I either forget or just cba and get on with playing.
    Next time you're out playing with your son can you check to see if he gets the same merchant value as you do for selling the same vendor trash? I've a hunch that f2p gets less money for selling to vendors.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-11 at 09:54 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Making money as a preferred player really requires you to be max level and do dailies. Other than that, I recommend using slicing as you level to earn credits and not training any other crafting professions as they are credit sinks. Once you are in a comfortable place with your unlocks, you can go nuts.
    Yup, got slicing and scavenging on my first character...and making a push for level cap. Oddly enough Underworld Trading makes the most money for me on my alt. The GTN is kinda volatile on commodities, but on a good day I can move the UT mats better than scavenging so it's a net profit on my end even with mission costs. New patch today finally gave me all 5 slots on the GTN, yey. I only flip things I know are really underpriced on the GTN. Unlocks are hard to come by on my server . They're starting to drop in price but a lot of things are just wayyy above the 350k preferred credit limit. Think at this point I'm just going hit level cap, grind out 5-6 million and then pay for a one month sub to unlock what I want on the GTN.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •