Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Its Going To Be A Long Christmas

Anyone else already got this feeling? Found out my father is getting my oldest a Kindle. Something about $129 for today only or some such. Also found out my mother is getting my oldest an electric scooter. So you know what immediately came to mind. Yep, my ten year old could be texting and driving for the holidays. Instead of visions of sugar plums, I'm seeing ER visits and casts in my heir's future.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Deleted
    A motorized scooter for a ten year old? Sounds lethal!

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Anyone else already got this feeling? Found out my father is getting my oldest a Kindle. Something about $129 for today only or some such. Also found out my mother is getting my oldest an electric scooter. So you know what immediately came to mind. Yep, my ten year old could be texting and driving for the holidays. Instead of visions of sugar plums, I'm seeing ER visits and casts in my heir's future.
    enforce a family tradition of not really giving presents at christmas.

I usually get nothing for christmas, or maybe shampoo or toothpaste if I'm running low.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    Puzzles me why a 10-year old would need either of those. Maybe tell your folks to next time consult you on the gifts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    Puzzles me why a 10-year old would need either of those. Maybe tell your folks to next time consult you on the gifts.
    though on the "expensive" (im not talking about compared to iphone or ps3/xbox) side i dont think its not appropirate, a kindle might enforce reading and frankly i dont want to see anyone older than 12 on a scooter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh just because they get a present, doesn't mean they actually get to "play" with them.

I require that they do well at school to earn time with the cool toys. Considering how my oldest behaves at school? I'm fairly confident that neither that kindle nor scooter will be seeing any use anytime soon.

Still, couldn't help but immediately picture a texting and driving scenario.

My mother came to be about letting me know she was getting my brothers a dsi & some skylanders game for the wii for them...

2x dsi
    2x ds games if not more
    1x skylander game with probably an action figure or 2 with it.

I'm not begging for anything but a vacuum (I haven't vacuumed my home in almost 3 months...ew).

I know they're just kids but...wow

When I was 12 I got a skillet for Christmas.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Texting? You don't seem to know what a Kindle is...

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    When I was 12 I got a skillet for Christmas.
    I don't get it did your parents want you to cook for them lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    I don't get it did your parents want you to cook for them lol.
    no, my mom wanted a new skillet for herself, so she was like "look what Santa got you this year"
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Deleted
    Kindles aren't mobiles. They're e-books. No texting possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Porcell View Post
    True, never really got into the tablet thing. Can you text on a Kindle Fire?

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Texting? You don't seem to know what a Kindle is. He'll be reading on it, maybe watching videos on it, possibly Facebook. But it's wi-fi only, so he won't be tooling down the street "texting" on his Kindle Fire.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Porcell View Post
    The new models can send text messages, or at least use apps that allow messages.

I think people who are texting on Kindles aren't enjoying their product very much.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    The new models can send text messages, or at least use apps that allow messages.
    Did not know that. The Kindle Fire ones? That's strange.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    The new models can send text messages.
    Why on earth would people want texting on an e-book?

The last thing I want when reading is to be disturbed by someone bothering me.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2410590,00.asp

Like I said (in my apparently double post for some reason instead of an edit), it's Wi-fi.

What happened to good old books?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Angarin View Post
    My mother came to be about letting me know she was getting my brothers a dsi & some skylanders game for the wii for them...

2x dsi
    2x ds games if not more
    1x skylander game with probably an action figure or 2 with it.

I'm not begging for anything but a vacuum (I haven't vacuumed my home in almost 3 months...ew).

I know they're just kids but...wow
    Ugh, my kids are freaking out over Skylanders. I guess its the new pokemon or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    no, my mom wanted a new skillet for herself, so she was like "look what Santa got you this year"
    My folks did the same crap with me. Which makes it feel a little odd that they are spoiling the grandkids so much. Maybe its genetic.