Deleted

choosing the right class?

Anyone else having a hard time choosing your main class?
    i'm having a realy hard time choosing the right class as a main in RPGs and i hate to lvl in all games i play so i generaly only lvl 1 char to max lvl and most of the time i find out later that it was not the right class for me to lvl. I'm realy frustrated over that i can't realy choose the right class from the beginning and need to make a new char and start over again. Then if i had pickt the right class from the start i could have continued to progress on that one instead.

so if anyone know some tips/tricks/tests that helps you know what class/archetype fits you i would be whery greatful if you could post.
    also if you could post how you found your fav archetype it would be great.
    And would it not be great if mmo dev could put in a optional test in their game just so you could get examples of what would maybe fit you.

sorry if my english is bad not my first language.

Is this specific to GW2 or mmos in general?

For GW2 you need to decide what type of theme you want. Do you want a lightly armored character? Do you want a profession that deals with the elements? Do you want something that likes to use a lot of different weapons? Do you want a physical profession?

What you don't need to do here is decide on what role (such as the traditional trinity roles) that your profession/class has.

Deleted
    yeah i know that but my problem is that i can't choose one and at the sametime i want to choose one class/archetype
    it's about GW2 and Mmo in general
    Last edited by mmoc1df05d2972; 2012-11-26 at 06:18 PM.

Well for me it's quite simple; I play what I've always played in every team based game, support. GW2 seemed quite perfect for me in this regard.

With MMO's I pick a tank like class. But GW2 offered a unique alternative to this idea by not being trinity so I had to think outside the box and pick something I knew I could play supportively and survive. Guardian and Warrior were my choices right out of the gate. I played warrior until 20 and then tried Guardian. My Guardian is now 73 and I haven't looked back.

If this isn't your first MMO then you should try something you liked in a different game. The lack of trinity doesn't hinder that choice at all but rather redefines how you learn to play your favorite style. So despite not picking a role per say, you are still going off of previous game role types as your base for a pick. From there you just evolve out of the trinity mindset and learn to multitask and be flexible.

If you can't segregate yourself into a profession that you think you'll like then you'll just have to hope for the best and roll the dice. Pick a profession that uses a weapon you like. My friend plays a 2 hand great sword Mesmer just because he thinks it looks cool. Anyways, all of them deal damage, all of them survive more or less, and all of them can support group efforts. Some excel more than others but that is the main gist of the professions in GW2.

10+ Year Old Account
    In order that works for me:

1. Visual style.
    2. Playstyle (Range / Melee / 2H or Dual Wield / Pure DPS or Support etc.) (l like greatswords and shiny armor)
    3. Test the classes that fits to my requirements.
    4. Select class or quit ^^

This was my problem with GW2 personally.

While actual profession choice was a no-brainer at first, I quickly learned that they did things a bit different.

My first choice was Necromancer, because I ALWAYS play that type of class/profession. Necro in D2, Warlock in WoW, and then Death Knight in WoW. However, upon reaching level 20 I wasn't really satisfied with the Necro. I didn't really like the abilities they received on the weapons. Some were good, but then some were lame. The playstyle for a GW2 Necromance is different than most others, and while I don't fault GW2 for this, I just didn't like it.

So I broadened my horizons. I love Ranged classes, even had a Hunter in WoW and a I enjoyed it, so I rolled a Ranger, and leveled to 80. I really liked Ranger for the most part, the only thing I didn't like is that the Short Bow is superior to the Long Bow by quite a bit, and all of the Short Bow abilities are pretty boring and lackluster. Granted, it's just a game and I could have just played with a Long Bow, but if you've ever played a Ranger, and used the Short Bow effectively, then you know how painful it is switching back to a Long Bow.

I tried the other classes to about level 20, but I just didn't feel it, thus I no longer play GW2. It is, however, a great game, very beautiful, I just don't like the limited amount of abilities and being forced to play with abilities I don't care for, it's just personal preference and I don't blame the game a single bit.

I would like to see them come out with more abilities for each weapon type, and let you customize your 1-5 abilities.

Deleted
    thanks for all your answers=)