Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Love it when people take criticism of a game all personally or something.

You can blame the players or blame the forum all you want. Just a few months ago this place was all sunshine and rainbows with excitement and hope for a great game. The fact is that a lot of the same people that were extremely excited are now disappointed with what they've been given.

1. First, at release, people spend litterally hundreds of hours online and go through all of the content. Some people will argue that there is no content, others will be happy with the amount content. It depends on what a person classes as content. A group of these people start complaining bitterly about lack of content and request refunds (with hundreds of hours of game time played).
    You know what, you're right. People will disagree on what qualifies as content. I probably did spend over 100 hours playing, but most of it was not spent doing what I'd call content. It was like watching the same movie fifty times and finally saying, "Why the hell am I DOING this?" when I finally realized that all the things I was looking for just weren't there. (Not to mention a good chunk of that time was spent re-leveling after my first character got to nearly 40 and then had their storyline totally break. The ticket on the issue has still gone unanswered.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    --SNIP--
    I couldn't agree more.
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2012-11-27 at 04:52 PM.
    When in doubt, mumble...

[RANT]
    A lot of people here won't like this but the responses that I have seen to this and other threads just make me sick.

It seems to me that the GW advocates are worse than the WOW flamers that first came into the group at release. The whole concept of vocal minority that has been bandied around here springs to mind.

Between the sarcasm, threats to quit and direct critisms of A/Net, I don't know what to make of the members here any more. It seems to me like A/Net can't actually win. It's been like this since they released the game.

1. First, at release, people spend litterally hundreds of hours online and go through all of the content. Some people will argue that there is no content, others will be happy with the amount content. It depends on what a person classes as content. A group of these people start complaining bitterly about lack of content and request refunds (with hundreds of hours of game time played).
    2. Next, there is a chunk of people who want some sort of progression in the game. They start complaining about end game content. As above, they start requesting refunds with hundreds of hours of game time because the end-game is not what they thought it was.
    3. A/Net decide to start catering for the people who want some sort of end-game progression, however minimal, by releasing a new dugeon with scaling content. They release some new gear that has minimal impact on the players who prefer not to have progression. There is an immediate outcry from another minority who about how A/Net have broken their promises and how the game will now have 10 tiers of gear in the future. These people also start threatening to quit.

There have been at least 2 million sales of GW2 and I can promise you there a lot of diverse groups in there. The majority are probably don't fit into any of the cliques above. People complain that the answers are a bit vague. Can you blame them? It doesn't matter what they say, there are always people prepared to jump down their throats. People just keep twisting everything that they say.

Do I think they are perfect, far from it. But they are also no where near as bad as people here make out. Fractals, while also not perfect, has been one of the better sets instances that I have run, it not the best. But people will always look for something to complain about. It's in their nature.

I think I will give this forum a break for a bit. It's become a cess-pool of counter productive twaddle. I am sure no body will miss me, though, I don't fit enough into the "negativity mould". I prefer to play games for fun and not pick every decision that the manufacturer makes apart with a fine tooth comb.
    [/RANT]
    I like this response, it finally made me create an account for this website and just to let you know you ain't the only one who feels this way. I've been checking up on this sub-forum since the first beta weekend because i enjoyed reading what people had to talk about. There were a lot of likeable posters who I look forward to reading about what was on their mind. But now, its just exactly like you said. Those posters are gone and now this sub-forum is stuck with the people you perfectly described.

Here's hoping the people on the "constructive criticism" crusade will find something else to do with their time. Like becoming a game developer and using their great wisdom to teach the rest of the world on how to create a video game.

[RANT]
    A lot of people here won't like this but the responses that I have seen to this and other threads just make me sick.

It seems to me that the GW advocates are worse than the WOW flamers that first came into the group at release. The whole concept of vocal minority that has been bandied around here springs to mind.

Between the sarcasm, threats to quit and direct critisms of A/Net, I don't know what to make of the members here any more. It seems to me like A/Net can't actually win. It's been like this since they released the game.

2. Next, there is a chunk of people who want some sort of progression in the game. They start complaining about end game content. As above, they start requesting refunds with hundreds of hours of game time because the end-game is not what they thought it was.
    3. A/Net decide to start catering for the people who want some sort of end-game progression, however minimal, by releasing a new dugeon with scaling content. They release some new gear that has minimal impact on the players who prefer not to have progression. There is an immediate outcry from another minority who about how A/Net have broken their promises and how the game will now have 10 tiers of gear in the future. These people also start threatening to quit.

There have been at least 2 million sales of GW2 and I can promise you there a lot of diverse groups in there. The majority are probably don't fit into any of the cliques above. People complain that the answers are a bit vague. Can you blame them? It doesn't matter what they say, there are always people prepared to jump down their throats. People just keep twisting everything that they say.

Do I think they are perfect, far from it. But they are also no where near as bad as people here make out. Fractals, while also not perfect, has been one of the better sets instances that I have run, it not the best. But people will always look for something to complain about. It's in their nature.

I think I will give this forum a break for a bit. It's become a cess-pool of counter productive twaddle. I am sure no body will miss me, though, I don't fit enough into the "negativity mould". I prefer to play games for fun and not pick every decision that the manufacturer makes apart with a fine tooth comb.
    [/RANT]
    I was starting to think i am the only one with this oppinion. thank god im not^^

sad part is - NOTHING bout WvW one of the mainsell points from GW2 and the reason why i buyd this game

but now? i feel like 3th class player
    theres always and everywhere PVE - sPVP..............WvW

there are big problems in WvW but A-Net just dont care and when do fixes they delete features

its insane

Quote Originally Posted by Inora View Post
    sad part is - NOTHING bout WvW one of the mainsell points from GW2 and the reason why i buyd this game

but now? i feel like 3th class player
    theres always and everywhere PVE - sPVP..............WvW

there are big problems in WvW but A-Net just dont care and when do fixes they delete features

its insane
    What issues are in WvW? I don't see any...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    What issues are in WvW? I don't see any...
    The only issues I can think about is the zerg one, and how AoE abilities only can effect five or so targets. Arrow carts are useless when a big zerg stack up since it won't kill anyone.

Also how there aren't anything worthwhile fighting for in WvWvW, yet.

1 theres only 1 statset in WvW
    2 the items compared to pve way to expensive - it need months to buy complete set
    3 WvW is THE goldsink ingame - pve you have to pay nothing
    4 big timezone problems in EU on one langue servers
    5 alot exploits possible (known for months now)
    6 no new content and will never be (only 2 different maps (3 are the same just copy pasted))
    7 in WvW only 1 skin possible on armor or weapon (have to pve when want look different)
    8 CULLING ^^
    9 nothing from A-Net to all the problems

k only 9 points for now

edit:
    Arrow carts are useless when a big zerg stack up since it won't kill anyone.
    you play NO WvW so you would know Siegeweapons have NO 5 target limit and arrowcarts wipe healingballs with ease

Quote Originally Posted by Inora View Post
    1 theres only 1 statset in WvW
    2 the items compared to pve way to expensive - it need months to buy complete set
    3 WvW is THE goldsink ingame - pve you have to pay nothing
    4 big timezone problems in EU on one langue servers
    5 alot exploits possible (known for months now)
    6 no new content and will never be (only 2 different maps (3 are the same just copy pasted))
    7 in WvW only 1 skin possible on armor or weapon (have to pve when want look different)
    8 CULLING ^^
    9 nothing from A-Net to all the problems

k only 9 points for now

edit:

you play NO WvW so you would know Siegeweapons have NO 5 target limit and arrowcarts wipe healingballs with ease
    I'm pretty sure AoE has an enemy limit. Though I'm unsure if it was arrowcarts, or profession specific AoE abilites. Also, false, I do play WvWvW, however, I'm not that into it so I keep all the information about the siege weapons, if that was the case.

My issue with the AMA, other than not getting any actual answers, is how they acted and reacted. They said that they knew this decision would cause issues, yet they decided to just drop the news at the last minute, rather than making some posts well ahead of time discussing what they are seeing and what their plans are to alleviate the issue, and getting player feedback from that. Afterwards, they were in complete reaction mode, coupled with pushing everything off until after the holidays.

The other issue I have is how this was done a mere three months into the game's launch. You're telling me that the Ascension armor, Infusions, Agony, mechanics, and all 9 Fractals were designed, created and tested in less than three months, just so they could fill a hole they found post-launch? Bullshit.

People complain that the answers are a bit vague. Can you blame them?
    Yes, we can blame them.

There is no usefulness in an AMA full of rhetoric and what is essentially backpatting.

Yeah, the AE cap is just - well, there's words that I would use, but they'd get me infracted. When the solution for dealing with AE damage is to move more people into it?....that's some weird design right there.

WvW just encourages mad zerging too much. Yeah, I know, someone will chime in with some story about their awesome three-man "strike force" or something that took a supply camp once, but I think anyone that does a lot of WvW knows that really doesn't mean a hell of a lot. Travel times are painful, and even when you get a waypoint in a keep, someone can just keep firing a treb at a wall, or even worse someone can just sneak around and aggro one guard and it'll cause the waypoint to be locked out for all but a few seconds every three minutes.

Also how there aren't anything worthwhile fighting for in WvWvW, yet.
    There's that, too. Battles are too long and the territories crystallize pretty fast. After that, you're left with several days where you're not really accomplishing much, but you have to keep zoning into the battlegrounds just to maintain territory. The only time anything really changes is if one server has a large population of people that are logged in at 4am and the other servers don't, but even then once prime time rolls around again the battle lines fall back into place.

(Naturally this all is different if one server is just blowing away the other two, but then who really cares at that point?)

The map design, rather than having a "territory" feel, encourages a very linear attack pattern. Part of this is due to there being three factions of the map, and part of it is due to the map layout. If you want to attack Server A, there's really not a whole lot of different ways to go about it.

Player culling is absolutely awful. Invisible armies firing on you is just the worst thing possible, how this isn't a top priority is beyond me.

Also, why is there so damn much PvE? Mobs everywhere, a few events that pop off, resource nodes, even a boss (or two? I dunno) and a bunch of jumping puzzles? I mean, the jumping puzzles are fun and all, but why the hell are they IN the WvW zones? It's like a giant troll, "lol half of the people taking up slots in your WvW map are doing a jumping puzzle and/or farming, haha!"

Alerts on the map telling you where something is being attacked - even if none of your players are there - is pretty silly and helps the battle lines remain static as well.

It's a fun concept, and a HELL of a lot better than - for example - SWTOR's Ilum zone, but I think battles should be shorter at the very least. Get rid of some of the PvE elements. Discourage zerging a little. Open up the maps a bit and make the flow of invasions less linear.

It sure seems like they do. Maybe not, I haven't really gone out and tested it, but when I have fired on zerg swarms with an arrow cart I don't see thirty different damage numbers pop up, just a handful. We're not the only ones that have mentioned this issue, either.

Not surprised the only questions to receive non-bullshit answers had entire paragraphs talking about how great Anet believe their dev team are and hard working.

Yes, truly. Truly, no staff has had to balance a live game with millions of players ever before. Kudos, Anet. You guys are doing herculean work.
    There is no usefulness in an AMA full of rhetoric and what is essentially backpatting.
    I honestly think that this is indicative of what I've thought for a while now...their development team is just in over their heads a little, so everything DOES feel like a herculean task and a huge victory every time they do something.
    Last edited by Bovinity Divinity; 2012-11-27 at 05:04 PM.

@Bovinity, I agree with just about everything you yipped about in that post! However, jumping puzzles kinda makes sense to me since I see it more as unlocking some sort of secret to give you an edge/discovering some ancient awesome thing blah blah blah my priory RPer bias, although getting an Omega Golem Suit from the EB chest did completely turn the tides of battle for my server one day, even if it was just because it allowed me and my guild to take over two keeps in the not EB map (it was the emerald one but that doesn't matter).

As for the arrow carts they're bugged, about 25% of the time I use them they only hit 5 people the other 75% it completely levels every player in that circle, so I'm going to say they're -supposed- to act like every other siege weapon where there is no cap, but then again I don't WvW -that- much (well I'm starting to) so I wouldn't know...

PS: Anyone think they should make grappling hooks so you can get into keeps without breaking the walls? I think it'd not only make the battles quicker but would also make it so zergs aren't 100% required and would allow a small strike force to sneak in and ninja a keep while the forces are elsewhere OBVIOUSLY they either buff the lords while walls up and/or while the walls aren't being sieged and/or put a cap on the amount of people that could scale walls.

IE: give the lords buffs like "Peace of Mind" +50% health and damage while not under siege (also effects guards) and "Safe and Secure" + 50% health and damage while walls/doors are intact.
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

@Bovinity, I agree with just about everything you yipped about in that post!
    Holy crap!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Holy crap!!
    Oh I know! I almost flipped a table in disbelief!

The Patient
    Just leaving this here:
    Trahearne "Moving on"
    Chris Whiteside "Moving forward"

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Love it when people take criticism of a game all personally or something.
    Have already logged off at work. Just got home and saw this when I came to the site to log off here too. It has nothing to do with taking criticism personally. It's has everything to do with the value I place on my time. Would you go to a web site that showed pictures of people puking on the main page? I come to the forum to discuss the game I enjoy playing, not to see people complain and whine about everything from the size of the weapons to the the number of questions answered by a company representative. What I would have liked to see on this forum was discussions about the professions, tricks for dungeons or making gold, etc.

Well, as they say, so long and thanks for all the fish.

this is starting to look like the Q&A with SWTOR devs... a bit of bullshit for the masses.
    No grind? Really? Cause when I log on in LA all I see is "LFG fractsls" and when I teleport to Cursed shore I see "LFG Steel Tide".

I come to the forum to discuss the game I enjoy playing,
    Edited to remove jerkiness: You don't seem to want discussion, just positive feedback.

What I would have liked to see on this forum was discussions about the professions, tricks for dungeons or making gold, etc.
    There's huge threads on every profession. Problem is, there's not very much depth to...well, anything...so it's no shock that the discussion runs out in pretty short order. Again, you can take this "Blame the players" stance like many developers also do, but if there's not much to discuss, then the fault for that lies with the developers, not the players.

Same with making gold...if there were some cool ways to do it, then sure we'd discuss it...problem is the game is designed for gold acquisition to not only be a completely awful, boring process, but also so that it's really not good for a whole heck of a lot.

And ultimately...if you want some "positive discussion" on something...then start the conversations yourself. If you see too much negative and then all you do is post complaining about the complaining...well then you're not really helping the tone of the discussion either.
    Last edited by Bovinity Divinity; 2012-11-27 at 07:54 PM.

There's huge threads on every profession. Problem is, there's not very much depth to...well, anything...so it's no shock that the discussion runs out in pretty short order. Again, you can take this "Blame the players" stance like many developers also do, but if there's not much to discuss, then the fault for that lies with the developers, not the players.

And ultimately...if you want some "positive discussion" on something...then start the conversations yourself. If you see too much negative and then all you do is post complaining about the complaining...well then you're not really helping the tone of the discussion either.
    Bovinity dropping truth bombs like a B52 in this thread.

I was having this conversation the other day with a guild mate from GW1. Where that game facilitated a lot of discussion in the ins-outs of actually playing the game. For us, GW2 doesn't really have that depth of thought.

Even "tips" on this or that aspect of GW2 are so obvious or general as to make one feel silly. "Just kite and then use your CC thingy." is not much to build interesting discussion on either the intricacies of group/individual class or encounter mechanics. Yet that is the solution & degree of conversation in most cases, "Just kite and use your CC thingy".

Here is how you make gold: Travel cheap, find the zerg. Spam 1 or AE skills while in a zerg. 6gp an hour on average.

The PVE components of the game are very, very shallow compared to the first Guild Wars. Which still has people debating optimal builds, specs, compositions, weapon sets, tactics and so on till this very day.

I am not even kidding-- there was a lengthy conversation the other morning in vent over a monk's placing healing skills in reverse order on the bars for optimal healing or interruption. With about 4 or our GW1 monks each having a difference of opinion, further varied by encounter.

That's real depth of design.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-11-27 at 07:19 PM.