Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

AMA Going on now.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/c...ld_wars_2_ama/

This thread is to discuss his answers we will start out with his first real answer:

Hi Soc,
    Thanks for taking the time to send in some questions. We do not believe we have gone against any of our principals, but we do understand the concern regarding potential grind. We absolutely design everything we do with minimal grind and will continue with this principal moving forward.
    1: I would prefer that we never say never but our intention is that in terms of 'Named Tier (Rarity) of Loot' Ascended will be with us for a long time and we will not introduce a higher tier of loot for the foreseeable future. There will be loot with different stats and new infusions within the current tier that will be spread over long periods of time (for example Ascended gear will be deployed over the whole of next year). 2: Ascended gear will be obtainable throughout the whole of the game aside from sPvP and in retrospect it would have been better to have rolled different acquisition methods out at the smae time os the FotM.
    Chris
    Hi Landeyda,
    Thanks for taking the time to post your questions. Mike O will respond to the top question and I will respond to the bottom section.
    Ascended Gear is designed to fill the 'Time' gap in regard to the distance between exotic and Legendary in terms of progression and in retrospect would have been better to have been rolled out pre launch.
    I would also like add that we have never said there would be no vertical progression. We do intent to focus on horizontal but we will have vertical progression moving forward with the focus on zero grind and a very low power curve.
    Please understand that we see the community as a 'whole' and therefore are not intending to design again for one specific type of player over another. This is a misconception and one that is not promoted by the team. We will continue to develop the game for the community as a whole offering game play that caters to lots of different types of players in a unified approach that will evolve over time based on feedback and the direction the team as a whole wants to take.
    chris
    Hi Joiry,
    Really interesting question. Our intention is to deploy ascended components and gear across the whole of the game rather than focus it in one particular location. This was a a mistake and one that we will not be making moving forward. We do hope to find a balance and ensure that the world of Guild Wars 2 is as accessible and populated as possible and moving forward you will be able to see how we intend to execute on this goal.
    I think with the support of the community we can continue building a world that does satisfy lots of different types of players in a fashion where everyone feels part of the same community and whose activities impact and interplay with those of differing player types.
    Chris
    Hi Lothair,
    Progression through tokens and mats is something we are having a good look at currently. Please keep the feedback coming as we move forward.
    Chris
    Hi Kui,
    Thanks for taking the time to get in touch. We will be evolving and building on all or our content in the game and do plan to build on Southsun Cove in the near future. In regard to the fractal fix, we are working on a fix right now and i would like to take this opportunity to apologies for the issue.
    Chris
    This is an extremely interesting question and as you know the path down the road for a solution is highly complex. In fact myself and Mo were discussing this this morning. So please forgive me if my answer is somewhat lite or comes across as deflective but i would prefer the surroundings of a pub or meeting room to really get into this one.
    However:
    I think online worlds are amazing in that they house different societies or player types if you like. I think it is only natural for players to gravitate to those who they feel are like minded, and i think it is also only natural and in some ways quite healthy to have a macro society or community that doesn't always agree with one another. I think that diversity is exciting but it can also fragment so a method in which different groups of players work with others in synergy each enjoying their own diverse game play that is rewarding because of the game play is certainly a step in the right direction. Reading this statement you will no doubt be thinking that the FotM doesn't utilize this philosophy and you would be correct. Moving forward progression and rewards will be inter woven appropriately into the core systems and social aspects of the game, allowing the diverse societies or player types to work together by playing the content that they love.
    So in short something that is universally enjoyable as a progression system or a reward should be as accessible as possible and cater to the different ways our players consume the game but in a manner in which the Community of the world as a whole is contributing to each others overall experience.
    If you would like to talk further then pm me and we can discuss in game.
    Hi Horde,
    I totally get what you are saying and we are working very hard on not only addressing the bugs in the game, but building on new areas and trying to ensure that new content is as bug free as possible. This is very big ticket item for all of us, so in the same way as the work we did on bots you can expect to see big improvements soon.
    Chris
    Hi Tyrjala,
    Thanks for taking the time to post your question. Both personal story and home instances are ares that i wish we had spent more time on already in terms of content since release. However we will be building on them as we move forward and would love to hear more of your thoughts in regard to the direction you would like to see them move in. In short you can expect to see big things.
    Chris
    Last edited by zito; 2012-11-26 at 09:25 PM.

I don't mind reddit but why don't they just use their own forum for these question and answers?

Deleted
    Hi Soc,

Thanks for taking the time to send in some questions. We do not believe we have gone against any of our principals, but we do understand the concern regarding potential grind. We absolutely design everything we do with minimal grind and will continue with this principal moving forward.

1: I would prefer that we never say never but our intention is that in terms of 'Named Tier (Rarity) of Loot' Ascended will be with us for a long time and we will not introduce a higher tier of loot for the foreseeable future. There will be loot with different stats and new infusions within the current tier that will be spread over long periods of time (for example Ascended gear will be deployed over the whole of next year). 2: Ascended gear will be obtainable throughout the whole of the game aside from sPvP and in retrospect it would have been better to have rolled different acquisition methods out at the smae time os the FotM.

Chris
    Arrgh! I do not really like the answer of this question.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I don't mind reddit but why don't they just use their own forum for these question and answers?
    I'm pretty unsure myself, but I guess it's something in line of ''Getting closer to the community.''

The reason for me not using Reddit is because of the layout, it's horrible, I can't find anything.

Hi Landeyda,
    Thanks for taking the time to post your questions. Mike O will respond to the top question and I will respond to the bottom section.
    Ascended Gear is designed to fill the 'Time' gap in regard to the distance between exotic and Legendary in terms of progression and in retrospect would have been better to have been rolled out pre launch.
    I would also like add that we have never said there would be no vertical progression. We do intent to focus on horizontal but we will have vertical progression moving forward with the focus on zero grind and a very low power curve.
    Please understand that we see the community as a 'whole' and therefore are not intending to design again for one specific type of player over another. This is a misconception and one that is not promoted by the team. We will continue to develop the game for the community as a whole offering game play that caters to lots of different types of players in a unified approach that will evolve over time based on feedback and the direction the team as a whole wants to take.
    chris
    I don't like this answer. Focus on zero grind? Current ascended gear is a grind dumb ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was wondering the same thing tbh, but they probably figure that the official forums will see it fairly quickly after being put on reddit...

And look, it's exactly how I thought it be!! Imagine that!!
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

40 minutes in and they answerer 2 questions and repeated 4 times only one question per person.

brilliant!

---------- Post added 2012-11-26 at 08:38 PM ----------

Hi Joiry,
    Really interesting question. Our intention is to deploy ascended components and gear across the whole of the game rather than focus it in one particular location. This was a a mistake and one that we will not be making moving forward. We do hope to find a balance and ensure that the world of Guild Wars 2 is as accessible and populated as possible and moving forward you will be able to see how we intend to execute on this goal.
    I think with the support of the community we can continue building a world that does satisfy lots of different types of players in a fashion where everyone feels part of the same community and whose activities impact and interplay with those of differing player types.
    Chris
    Glad they acknowledge the world is dying because of gear.

Deleted
    It saddens me to say that I feel pretty done with Guild Wars 2. I do not like the turn it took with Ascended gear and it looks like they have no thought of removing it, or changing it.

Hi Kui,
    Thanks for taking the time to get in touch. We will be evolving and building on all or our content in the game and do plan to build on Southsun Cove in the near future. In regard to the fractal fix, we are working on a fix right now and i would like to take this opportunity to apologies for the issue.
    Chris
    Someone asked wheres the content for southsun cove. He replied in the future.

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Klavier Gavin View Post
    It saddens me to say that I feel pretty done with Guild Wars 2. I do not like the turn it took with Ascended gear and it looks like they have no thought of removing it, or changing it.
    I'm certainly not done with the game but I'm a bit disappointed in how it is developing. The nice thing about it is that I've already paid for it. I can take time off and play other games, and then return at my leisure.

Edit: Is this guy multi-tasking? Seems to take forever for any answers. Or is this like the government where the authorities look over the questions first before Chris can answer anything?
    Last edited by Valeron; 2012-11-26 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Klavier Gavin View Post
    Pretty much the same for me, lost interest in GW2 instantly as I heard about this ascended gear BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Aluano View Post
    Pretty much the same for me, lost interest in GW2 instantly as I heard about this ascended gear BS.
    ascended gear isn't even the issue which greatly shocks me that people believe it so. I've been doing fractals in greens and the entire damn game in greens ever since I hit 80 because gear means shit in this game.

The only time it does if level 15+ fractals and that's only for agony resists. You don't even need to go above level 10 unless you want to see hard encounters which is just made hard because of a dot ticking for half your health and not boss mechanics (/yawn).

---------- Post added 2012-11-26 at 08:53 PM ----------

With regard to minimal Grind, how is going from 5 Ectos to 50 Ectos for a piece of gear minimal? 5 T6 items to 250 T6 items, minimal?
    Good point Nacho. We are currently discussing these particular items and it is fair to say that we don't want have such big hikes in requirements moving forward.
    Chris
    Halafreakenula. They are talking about it!

Edit: Is this guy multi-tasking? Seems to take forever for any answers. Or is this like the government where the authorities look over the questions first before Chris can answer anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    The only time it does if level 15+ fractals and that's only for agony resists. You don't even need to go above level 10 unless you want to see hard encounters which is just made hard because of a dot ticking for half your health and not boss mechanics (/yawn).
    This and this. Exactly.

Some really lazy design by a seemingly now arrogant [& somewhat aloof] Arena.net lately.

Thanks Chris, although I don't agree with your answer it's nice of you to have addressed it. Saying that you design everything you do with minimal grind is obviously very subjective. 1800+ FoTM tokens or 250 T6 materials/50 Globs of Ectoplasm for 1 piece of equipment is a huge grind (in my humble opinion, of course).
    Hi Lothair,
    Progression through tokens and mats is something we are having a good look at currently. Please keep the feedback coming as we move forward.
    Chris
    Mmmk keep talkin...

Well I'm glad they are taking a look at it. Still doesn't mean they'll do anything about it. I've heard of this double speak a million times before from all developers.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    This and this. Exactly.

Some really lazy design by a seemingly now arrogant [& somewhat aloof] Arena.net lately.
    It's a miracle...

SOMEONE GETS IT

by god....

Deleted
    Reddit's layout is arguably superior for AMA's, popular questions will be 'Upvoted' to the top of the thread where it makes it easier for the person doing the AMA to pick them out, the garbage is downvoted to the bottom and hidden. The answers to those questions can then also be further upvoted to visibility, making it either to read through all the questions and answers without having to go through pages of random comments to find them.

They answered 5 questions in an hour and ten minutes.

Really....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    This and this. Exactly.

I personally thought the fractals were designed very well and were very fun... i can wait for them to crank out another DoA though... because god knows i'll just cry myself to sleep when i attempt to do that dungeon... just like i did with DoA
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    I personally thought the fractals were designed very well and were very fun... i can wait for them to crank out another DoA though... because god knows i'll just cry myself to sleep when i attempt to do that dungeon... just like i did with DoA
    Some can use some major adjustments. The giant one is great. I like the underwater one to an extent (jellyfish needs a flipin buff and I swear to god if they just increase his damage ima shoot my computer). Swamp should be a little more forgiving that the team won't come to the conclusion of "lets skip this" before we even start and conditions need to work on the snowstorm first boss.

All of the answers are very safe and vague.