Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

so i just bought mop

i just upgraded my account to mop, i originally waited to buy it since i wouldn't have time to play anyway (was writing my dissertation and whatnot). now i do, so here's my question (complete mop noob)

if you had to start leveling from 85 to 90 today, given what you know now with 2 months of experience, what would you do? i mean, i want to get back into raiding as fast as possible, i remember seeing somewhere theres plenty of reps to grind for epic gear and whatnot. is there any reps/dailies that i can start grinding before 90? basically what id like to know is, what are the "homework" to be done while leveling (if any) to speed up the gearing process once at 90?

thanks

Leave Jade Forest as soon as possible. Always move to the next zone asap.

Deleted
    i hate to say it, but rep dailies to revered are going to be a way of life for a while if youre looking to get epics at 90 before raiding.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to work on dailies/rep with factions that will give you valor items, when you are able to move into Townlong Steppes and Dread Wastes you want to make sure you do the quests that start you on Shado-Pan rep (Townlong Steppes) and Klaxxi rep (Dread Wastes). I believe you can start those quests around level 88.

I'd suggest making sure you do every dungeon at least once while you're leveling, the dungeon quests make leveling all the faster and you can get enough gear to easily start you on heroics as soon as you hit 90.

Deleted
    Do Townalong and Dread wastes zones. Skip 4 winds zone (unless you are so masochistic to do those idiotic get carrot/kill vermin quests in every friging quest hub over and over again) as you get level to head to Krasarang. And do there only bare minimum to get to Townalong steppes. Try kill elites on your way (get NPCscan addon) which is great boost of EXP when they are killed (+ chance on epixxx, and guaranteed blue).

When doing Klaxxy - that's the easiest way to get at least this 1 reputation quite quick to meaningfull item upgrades. Basicly by doing this zone you will be done to honored in only couple extra days of dailies there.

Sorry for sloppy language - i'm damn tired at work and just typing everything without analyzing grammatics or even logic

Deleted
    Go to your city in Valley of eternal blossom once you hit 90, pick upp all quests there and start doing the dailies with Golden Lotus/Klaxxi/ and contuine untill you unlock Shado-Pan + August Celestials. Conquest cap every week (get VP caoed aswell ofc) Buy pvp gear when you can (alot of the pvp gear is better than the LFR items). The Tillers is great aswell if you wanna get your own food in 90.
    If you wanna get into raiding i´d say buy conquest gear/VP cap every week/Dailies every day untill you reach Reverd with everyone ( aim for exalted tho, awsome mounts!). Spam heroics and you will soon have 470 ilvl probably, start doing LFR and pray to god that RNG is with you.

Deleted
    i would say get in the dread wastes as soon as you can, you can get klaxxi quite high in rep before you hit 90 which in turn allows for a quick ilv489 valor neck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tuscar View Post
    i just upgraded my account to mop, i originally waited to buy it since i wouldn't have time to play anyway (was writing my dissertation and whatnot). now i do, so here's my question (complete mop noob)

if you had to start leveling from 85 to 90 today, given what you know now with 2 months of experience, what would you do? i mean, i want to get back into raiding as fast as possible, i remember seeing somewhere theres plenty of reps to grind for epic gear and whatnot. is there any reps/dailies that i can start grinding before 90? basically what id like to know is, what are the "homework" to be done while leveling (if any) to speed up the gearing process once at 90?

thanks
    First, what cannonballs said... Level til you ding, then move to the next zone, disregard what you have left on quests.
    Stick with leveling only with one exception. Try to run every dungeon that's available to you ONCE, just to get the quests in there. Only with the quests dungeons are worth anything. The XP gain from dungeons alone is rather useless. You gain XP a lot faster from quests.
    Try to get in the dungeons with guildies, to make sure you can get the quests done. Not that you run into groups that don't give a damn, and then you sit there with an uncompleted quest.
    Once you are level 90 you should be ready for heroics. If not, get a piece or two off the AH. Crafted 476 epics declined a lot in price already, and keep declining.
    Run heroics until you are ready to get into LFR.... if your guild raids, they may take you along at that point, because the first raid is tailored for Heroic blues. The next one is tailored for a mix of blues and 476 epics. Just Terrace is a little more demanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannonballs View Post
    This doesn't work so well if you don't weave dungeons into it. I did it on my Tank/Healer chars just fine, dinged before I even finished Townlong Steppes. Did it on my Rogue with much slower queues and dinged 90 with barely any quests left in Dread Wastes.

Honestly? Do Loremaster of Pandaria. Every quest, in every zone. Sure, it'll take a while, but that ensures you get the maximum rep possible, while also seeing all the fantastic levelling content/storylines.

If you happen to hit level 90 before finishing up in Townlong/Dread Wastes, then take a break to go pick up the legendary quest (starts in most inns across Pandaria). There's a quest to grind rep from level 90 mantid/mogu, and if you still have some stuff to do in Townlong and Dread Wastes then that'll give you a nice boost to Black Prince rep.

But yeah, seriously... Loremaster. It's worth it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedsista View Post
    i hate to say it, but rep dailies to revered are going to be a way of life for a while if youre looking to get epics at 90 before raiding.
    Not necessarily. All the raids are available in Raid Finder now so (with enough luck on drops) you can gear up quite easily and quickly there.

The valor gear is definitely not needed, as even if you were to get revered with all of them on day one you can only obtain 1000 valor points per week and the gear costs between 1750 to 2250 points, which means you can tops get one piece every two weeks, which isn't all that fast.

When you hit 90, and on your way up, look for rare mobs in dread wastes and vale of eternal blossom. These often drop 440-450 pieces which can help you get into heroic dungeons faster. You can also buy crafted PvP gear, and run 2v2 arena for conquest gear to get into Raid Finder faster.

The moment you have 470 so you can run all of them it's incredibly easy to gear up from there, and you're geared enough to enter all of the raids (outside of heroic).
    Last edited by mmoce2fa46bcbe; 2012-11-26 at 02:51 PM.

Id say loremaster is a good thing.

From there on, consider if you even wanna do daylies. For me it was a thing that turned me away from MOP a little, before I took a break. I much rather have grinds where I can choose the speed I gain rep at, like mob killing, rep tokens etc. So yea, get to level 90 witch is quit a long grind, but try do it smart; Quest in dread waste zone atleast.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Deleted
    If you have a crafting profession, I'd say go to the valley of the four winds asap, and start working on that Tiller-rep. You can plant crops and reap decent amount of Mote of Spirits. Crops grow to full at 0.00 servertime each day. You will need honored before you can harvest the motes (Songbell plants). Reaching revered and exalted opens up for more space to plant, but honored is the important rank since that's required to buy the songbell seeds.
    You can start planting at lvl85, but that won't give you rep. Not sure if you need lvl90 or if it's tied to a questline, but eventually harvesting crops will give you 50rep (+bonus like Mr. Popularity etc) per crop you harvest.
    Tillers don't have any items for you, so this is only good if you need Motes of Spirit for crafting.

Otherwise, go for Klaxxi while leveling and Golden Lotus when reaching lvl90 (dailies). Start doing Sha of Anger ASAP - not sure if there is a lvl-req for looting, but I guess the biggest problem will be to get invited to a grp when below lvl90. You can kill it multiple times per week, but you will only be able to loot it once per week(resets with normal raids) - Don't forget to loot him for quest-item (epic boots!) on your first kill.

Depending on your Justice Point and Honor Point status, there is a small "trick" to do. If you are unsure on what item to get and need a small boost to be able to enter heroics or lfr, you can always buy an item that will allow you to sign for the queue. Once in the queue, you can sell the item back again. The ilvl limits are only active when joining the queue - you don't need it to actually entering the instances when the queue pops.
    PS: It's not some magic item. Let's say you are at ilvl 449 (450 is req for heroics) - you buy a random item that increases your ilvl to 451, sign for LFD, then sell it back. I only did this because I fricking hate spending points on an item only to upgrade it shortly after from actual drops.

Oh.. and in general, don't wait leveling your professions. Get them up to the point where you can start using your cooldowns (transmutes etc) ASAP - especially for tailoring and inscription, where the cooldowns gives BoP-items.
    Last edited by mmoc7754bedf49; 2012-11-26 at 03:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't take advice like this, you'll miss out on lots of good stuff as far as the story goes.
    In the end it depends what you like most about the game:
    - If you're a lore buff then by all means complete all quest lines, you'll hit 90 by the time you are in Townlogn Steppes (assuming you have rested).
    - Don't focus too much on reps unless there are items you really want, but the gear from them is not mandatory/required, although some may disagree
    - If you want to go fast considermoving to a new zone asap after you enter it... but you'll miss out on a lot
    - If you want to get into raiding, you can buy/craft a lot of the gear , or run heroics to get gear for entry into raids. You will probably be able to get an item or two from reputation anyway even before doing dailies, which should help you get to required iLvl. But even that is not needed if you have the gold to spare.

10+ Year Old Account
    Generally, I would agree with much of the advice given up to this point; however, I'd suggest that you pay attention to unlocking the main hub city and your farm for Tillers. Four plots of vegetables isn't much, but it can help you build up your cooking. Once you hit 90, you have a ready supply of favorite dishes to help you build rep with various quest givers like Jogu the Drunk (he likes sauteed carrots). Tillers rep isn't sexy, it doesn't directly lead to epics. On the other hand, you can farm extra materials if you craft, you can farm those annoying Motes of Harmony and even regular vegetables may sell decently (depending on your server's AH). Gold, while not particularly hard to come by this expansion, can help you buy a few useful items off of the AH. On my server, Ghost Iron Dragonlings have been a good value.

Edit: Too slow. ^^^^ Several people have now posted similar information, but I'll let this stand as "what they said".
    Last edited by shadowmouse; 2012-11-26 at 03:06 PM. Reason: :) Y'all beat me to it.

Play through the Jade Forest completely, it's the coolest and best designed zone ever in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    But yeah, seriously... Loremaster. It's worth it.
    That's true, and I always go for Loremaster on every toon. It's a shitload of money to be made from it. But only with my main I do it consistently. Only the main toon (odd I know lol) moves through them one zone at a time. All others fly to 90 and then go back, and clear out the remaining quests as spare time activity.

---------- Post added 2012-11-26 at 09:05 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    Play through the Jade Forest completely, it's the coolest and best designed zone ever in WoW.
    And the new barrens chat... At least on my realm Area52 lol

Guys, he wants to get raid ready fast.... Hence why he should not hold back in zones, which will bite him in the ass down the road.
    If he hits 90 in townlong steppes he's short of ilevel 437 gear from dread wastes, and he's in a setback for heroic 5 mans. If he can't get into heroic right away, he can't raid faster either.
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2012-11-26 at 03:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, keep your eyes open for the Blingtron 4000. It is a crafted, repeatable quest giver that Engineers can set out. Many of the items are amusing vendor trash, some are useful and there is a small chance for some nice rewards. If you see a blue "!" on your mini map, be sure to mouse over it. The Blingtron 4000 has a fairly short duration, just ten minutes or so.

Move from Zone to Zone as quick as possible questing. Queue for dungeons between quests. Also, if you wanna raid without doing dailies, grind out the quests in Dread Wastes for the 440 gear to do heroics. Then check out this site for some other "I don't wanna do dailies to raid" tips

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/wor...thout-dailies/

Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    This doesn't work so well if you don't weave dungeons into it. I did it on my Tank/Healer chars just fine, dinged before I even finished Townlong Steppes. Did it on my Rogue with much slower queues and dinged 90 with barely any quests left in Dread Wastes.
    Not only that, but because the mobs die faster, it's almost better to finish each zone before moving onto the next. The exp per quest is lower, but the time to finish each quest is significantly higher.

The best answer is, level how you WANT to level. That is the point of MoP. It's still got a storyline that weaves itself in a forward motion through each zone, but you can do as much or as little of the zones as you want to in the end.

I finished each zone as I entered them (because on Beta I just went to each new zone as I leveled) and then I didn't have to go back and finish them later. They were done when I hit 90, and I could focus my time and attention on heroics, dailies to get epics, and farming rares for the Glorious achievement and loot.

But again, do it in whatever order you wish. It's a novel approach, but I like to have fun in the video games I play.