Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Intel killing off enthusiast PCs?

Internet rumors and all, but the word is that Broadwell processors (next gen after Haswell) will come only as BGA versions meaning processors are pre-soldered to motherboards. Reason would be Intel grabbing bigger piece of the market killing off Asus, MSI, Gigabyte etc in the process. And Microsoft is blamed for anti-competitive practices?

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/11/26/i...cs-go-with-it/

edit: Seems plausible as AMD is also going the tablet/laptop way. Desktop PC sales are dropping every year.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2012-11-26 at 09:33 PM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

HEY, AMD!

you listening?

You've got 2 years to come up with a non-soldered CPU, and people will buy it.

Deleted
    AMD makes crap and Intel create monopoly. Bloody wonderfull.

Deleted
    depends, gpus come on a pcb as well. i can see something like this working out the same way, and it would be way easier for people to get into building their own computers(not that you can put the cpu wrong in anyway). if they'd open the cpu/socket for motherboard makers' non reference design boards ( just like you have MSI TFIII/asus DCUII) there wouldnt really be a real difference apart from the thing being physically attached to the board.

Deleted
    I doubt it, maybe the laptop chips but not desktop ones. Will make servers very costly replacing whole board instead of just cpu.

Quote Originally Posted by ongu01 View Post
    depends, gpus come on a pcb as well. i can see something like this working out the same way, and it would be way easier for people to get into building their own computers(not that you can put the cpu wrong in anyway). if they'd open the cpu/socket for motherboard makers' non reference design boards ( just like you have MSI TFIII/asus DCUII) there wouldnt really be a real difference apart from the thing being physically attached to the board.
    Big part of the enthusiast PC builder 'thing' is that you can pick and choose everything you want. It's 100% certain ASRock for example would not release a lineup of 10 different boards each with 10 different processors. Sure most manufacturers would do good compromises like Z77+i5-3570k or something like that, but it would be very hard to find something like mini-ITX boards all the way from cheap dualcores to fully overclockable and watercoolable i7's.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    impractical as hell.
    can you imagine the poor IT guy that has to replace 1 future cpu in a double cpu workstation? (whole thing out of use for long period of time, while now it is just a matter of placing a backup chip and reseating the cooler)
    also how would all those brands die? (Asus, MSI, Gigabyte etc?)
    they make more than just mobo's

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    impractical as hell.
    can you imagine the poor IT guy that has to replace 1 future cpu in a double cpu workstation?
    That's the whole point from Intel. They sell more.

also how would all those brands die? (Asus, MSI, Gigabyte etc?)
    they make more than just mobo's
    Not much more.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    That's the whole point from Intel. They sell more.

Not much more.
    well MSI and ASUS sure are big players in the laptop market aswell. (GB might lose a big part of their business though)

Deleted
    So basicly, when broadwell launches AMD is back in the game!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    So basicly, when broadwell launches AMD is back in the game!
    they wished ,if that soldered piece of non tweaking performs better in games amd still gets screwed

Deleted
    they wished ,if that soldered piece of non tweaking performs better in games amd still gets screwed
    I doubt that. I think a lot of people want to choose their own boards etc. And with AMDs track record, they wont have to replace their mobo when the cpu breaks down or stuff like that.

I mean if the differences are than, as they are now. And pricing is the same, i would go for AMD. I would gladly give up some gaming performance for free choice of parts.
    And intel will probably ask a premium for their stuff. And if for instance MSI/ASUS have to buy cpu's from intel for their boards, their prices might get a bump as well.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    BGA is for the mainstream processors, enthusiast products will still be LGA from what i read on OCN.

Deleted
    well i can understand the freedom of mix and matching parts if the performance gap is similar to current one of intel vs amd im going for the performance part likely.
    if performance is more like it was around 2006/2007 when phenoms peak amd is an obvious choice instead.
    also on the tablet part i can find myself in that OS gotta improve for them but choice in hardware there would help allot (smartphones with custom parts wouldn't be a bad idea either imo)

also future socket with no upgrading required? highly skeptical on that one.

10+ Year Old Account
    I only believe that when they release it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sounds... semi-accurate.

*bah dum tish*
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

10+ Year Old Account
    lol rumor will always be rumor its like people were saying that the pc will die in a few years wen ipads and things like that came out pc still not gone

10+ Year Old Account
    from another thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    i suspect this will be more targeted at the mobile market, however, if this is the case, enthusiasts will drop intel like a bad habit and go straight to AMD, even at a performance hit

whats worse is that computer enthusiasts in general carry grudges, so something like that happening and intel would lose that market permanently across the board
    which is bad for them, as much as they don't want to admit it, first adopters and enthusiasts pay the bills around there

I think "Real" PC Enthusiasts will probably swap off Intel ... I don't consider myself a proper "Enthusiast", I've just built alot of computers and know my way around overclocking etc ... And frankly this change doesn't bother me TOO much.

It's completely unnecessary for Intel to do, and I really can't see how they could come up with a reason for it to give to the public (And everyone will know it's purely to make more money)... However I've had multiple Intel Mobos and they are still extremely high quality and I would rate them up there with the ASUS ones I've had. So if they make an amazing line of Mobos to latch the CPU into, It won't be a big deal for people like me who aren't "Extreme Enthusiasts" and just care about having a cool and powerful PC.

I do feel sorry though for the Proper Enthusiasts

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I doubt they'd do a strict BGA part this early. Can definitely see it as a long term (with AMD out might not be that long term) plan to corner the market.

If they did do a BGA part I would sooner see a 3rd party build their own proprietary "Slot" type socket with various PCB's with BGA chips soldered on that they could market. If there was even such a demand at the time, and Intel sold chipsets.....

doom.