1. #1
    Blademaster Savanni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    The Filthy Animal
    Posts
    47

    Hunter Macro Help Please

    I have a level 40 hunter, and I admit, I haven't been using macros. I was recently in a dungeon, and for the love of Alexstraza, my pet was usually by my side instead of in the middle of the battle. More times than not, my pet wouldn't reach the target I was attacking before the target was killed off, resulting in the pet not doing much DPS, and my party members grumbling (and rightfully so).

    So...I have some questions about making my pet attack the tank's target.

    • Is there a simple macro that will tell my pet to attack the tank's target?
    • Do I need to right-click on the tank to make them my (and my pet's) focus?


    I've Googled many a hunter pet macro, but I wanted to ask the experts here. I do apologize, as I'm sure these sound very noobish questions. I'd rather ask versus assume and give hunters the usual "Huntard" moniker.

  2. #2
    u can add a macro to ur opening shot like this:

    /petattack
    /cast "SPELL"

  3. #3
    So you want a macro that will attack the tank's target regardless of what YOU'RE attacking?
    <Guiles Theme Song> @ Magtheridon-US Horde 10-man, SoO-14/14H, currently recruiting all
    Website: http://www.guilesthemesong.wowlaunch.com
    Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/timoseewho

  4. #4
    Brewmaster Cyph3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,366
    Yeah there's several ways to go about this depending on what results you're actually after.

    If you always want him to be attacking the same target you are, the easiest thing would be to put him on assist stance. In that stance he'll switch targets a moment after you do, always trying to attack your current target. If you want a little more control than that, you can put him on passive or defensive (I keep mine in defensive almost all the time), and macro /petattack in with your openers, like hunter's mark, serpent sting, or arcane shot.

    If you want him to always be attacking the tanks target, regardless of what you personally are attacking, then a focus macro is the best way to go, but it's still going to require some input on your part. There's no way to have him automatically assist the tank as soon as he enters combat. But basically, focus the tank, then use this line in with just about any attack you want: /petattack [@focus] to be honest though, this isn't really the best way to go about things.

    The finest level of control would be to hotkey pet follow and petattack, and keep him on passive or defensive. This of course gives you the most direct control, but is also the most micromanagement. My personal setup is as follows:

    Pet set to defensive

    My "opening" macro -

    /cast hunter's mark
    /petattack

    Pet attack (special action bar 1) and pet follow (special action bar 3) both keybound on my Razer Naga.

    This setup makes general pet control pretty automatic. He'll attack anything that attacks me (or him) automatically thanks to defensive stance, and the macro keeps him on target the vast majority of the time. If I ever want to pull him off my curret target, or send him after something different, I have the hotkeys for that.
    - The Hunter's Creed -
    "This is my pet. There are many others like him, but this one is mine. He is my best friend. He is my life. I must master him as I master my life.
    My pet, without me, is useless. Without my pet, I am useless."

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyph3r View Post
    If you want him to always be attacking the tanks target, regardless of what you personally are attacking, then a focus macro is the best way to go, but it's still going to require some input on your part. There's no way to have him automatically assist the tank as soon as he enters combat. But basically, focus the tank, then use this line in with just about any attack you want: /petattack [@focus] to be honest though, this isn't really the best way to go about things.
    You mention assist, but you forgot it in the macro line. That will just send the pet to attack the tank, which... won't do anything. This should do:

    /assist [@focus]
    /petattack
    /targetlasttarget

    If you want to target the same thing just get rid of the last line.

    I keep mine on passive at all times personally with binds for attack/follow.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiralphoenix View Post
    You mention assist, but you forgot it in the macro line. That will just send the pet to attack the tank, which... won't do anything. This should do:

    /assist [@focus]
    /petattack
    /targetlasttarget

    If you want to target the same thing just get rid of the last line.

    I keep mine on passive at all times personally with binds for attack/follow.
    I didn't test if your macro works, but a shorter version would be:
    Code:
    /petattack [@focustarget]

  7. #7
    The Patient heenksa33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    274
    #showtooltip Serpent Sting
    /petattack
    /cast Serpent Sting

    #showtooltip Arcane Shot
    /petattack
    /cast Arcane Shot

  8. #8
    Blademaster Savanni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    The Filthy Animal
    Posts
    47
    Thank you so much everyone - very much appreciated. I'll try some out tonight and see how it goes. Very, very much appreciated

  9. #9
    see we should have a dedicated SV/BM hunter macro thread!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Sindariian View Post
    see we should have a dedicated SV/BM hunter macro thread!
    Forget that, we need a new Hunter subforum dedicated to macros.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •