Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    What stops a huge percentage of the population from being into gaming?

    Forgive me for being a bit abstract for a moment, but I found myself pondering just why certain people arn't into video games.

    I look at TV, music, and film, and I think it's fair to say *most/all* people like these 3 mediums of entertainment in some way. Everyone has a music taste, everyone has watched films, and most people partake in some sort of TV show (I don't watch TV much, but I'd be a liar if I said I didn't watch quiz shows while eating dinner.)

    Gaming spans different genres, probably the most technological devices (for example, you can play a decent game on your phone, but you can't/won't really convincingly watch a movie. The screen is just too small), a number of different target ages, and anything from casual to hardcore, yet looking at most of my family and many people I know, no type of video game is of any interest to them. Upon asking them, the usual response is just "I dunno, I've never really done it" or "I'm not very good", or even worrying, a "they're for geeks" type answer.

    So I ask: in the future, will there be a time when mostly everyone plays SOME kind of game (like everyone has a music taste now) or will it always be too much of a niche thing, and if not, what is stopping millions of people now? Age? Money issues? Stigma? Self imposed barriers?

    EDIT: Just to clarify, by "plays games" I do not mean gamer. You don't have to raid on WoW to be a gamer, but in the same respect, if you play Angry Birds every few weeks, you're not a gamer.However, the people I refer to in this are the people who don't play anything, and even Angry Birds would be too scary.

    I am a huge music fan. My uncle thinks music is okay occasionally. We both like music on some level, where as I play video games, and he does not at all, in any respect, there being the difference.

    EDIT 2: Interesting points, specifically the interactivity and increased cognition. I don't know about anyone else, but I play games because I want to keep my mind active. I always want to be doing something. My Mum, bless her soul, for example, watches TV for the opposite reason, despite her being as intelligent as me.
    Last edited by AstroleonShadowflower; 2012-11-23 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Clarify.
    "I'm sorry, but I can't hear you over the sound of how bad ass my discipline priest looks."

  2. #2
    Because games are an actual Hobby you have to put time into and be active in. It's not as simple as picking a song or going to see a movie or turning a TV on.

  3. #3
    Other stuff you mentioned is generally passively consumed by people.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Because games are an actual Hobby you have to put time into and be active in. It's not as simple as picking a song or going to see a movie or turning a TV on.
    Actually it is, download a game and launch it when you want to play, how is that any more effort than turning on the TV or picking a song, not every game requires you to be online 2 hours in a row to have fun.

    It's probably just the stereotype all gamers are nerds.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

  5. #5
    Immortal Clockwork Pinkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    Posts
    7,491
    It's a complicated reason, games are not what people remember. They think it would be difficult to master and they think they would not be good at it, even though every game ever made has a freaking tutorial at the beginning of every game. That's what my parents say, the controllers have changed, computer gaming just seems weird for some people, plus it's an expensive hobby/habit, not as expensive as others, granted, but people are thrown off by the prices. They get scared at a 59.99 price tag, but are willing to pay 10+ dollars for a movie no longer than 2 hours. The game is a clear winner as it's entertainment value would last longer. It also might have to do with some people just don't have the time to put into it. It requires alot of time and effort to just, get into gaming. Which system would they start with? Which games would they play? Would they have fun? Would they keep going after their first few deaths?


  6. #6
    Because WoW daily is worse than some jobs.

  7. #7
    well everyone I know has played solitaire at one point or another

    that probably doesn't constitute a gamer though. Really I think it is just an interest thing. Not everyone likes sports either.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Faesroll View Post
    Actually it is, download a game and launch it when you want to play, how is that any more effort than turning on the TV or picking a song, not every game requires you to be online 2 hours in a row to have fun.

    It's probably just the stereotype all gamers are nerds.
    Pop in a game and then pick up your controller for hours playing your character and actively interacting with the game. You're actually doing something with a lot of involvement.

    It's like saying "everyone loves to eat, have different tastes, like different foods. Why don't people all like to cook?"

  9. #9
    Bloodsail Admiral huangzhong9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Posts
    1,185
    i don't know about you, but pretty much everyone i know plays some kind of game. Whether it's solitaire on the ipad, or poker on your phone, everyone i know including my parents and grandparents play some kind of game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry_David
    "from injustise comes justise"

    -huangzhong9
    hero member

  10. #10
    Because games are an actual Hobby you have to put time into and be active in. It's not as simple as picking a song or going to see a movie or turning a TV on.
    And that happens because games are extreme unfriendly to non-players nowadays. Part of this is because gamers elitism, but I put most of the blame on game developers.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Faesroll View Post
    Actually it is, download a game and launch it when you want to play, how is that any more effort than turning on the TV or picking a song, not every game requires you to be online 2 hours in a row to have fun.
    You misunderstood. What he meant is that gaming requires you to do stuff. You control something, you make decisions, there's cognitive activity.

  12. #12
    In my opinion, ppl that aren't active in any particular type of game, or are "outside the gaming world" think that it is extremely complicated and time consuming.

    I think that is the misconception ppl have about gaming and that's why most of them dont try.

  13. #13
    According to my father in my younger days, gaming and pretty much anything else done on a computer is a waste of time because it never ends and has no point. Usually said while watching football, baseball, basketball, or NASCAR depending on the season, and followed by "why aren't you paying attention to the [game/race] on TV instead of that computer?"

    He still doesn't get why I think that's a wee bit hypocritical.

  14. #14
    My wife, for example, doesnt like it. She wants to turn on the TV or watch a movie which doesnt consist of doing anything else. Watching something else you can zone out or do other things. Shes tried playing and theres just too much going on for her to enjoy it. I like it because it keeps me "active", but a lot of ppl i know dont want to do anything when theyre relaxing.

  15. #15
    I don't think there's any real reason for it. People just have their own sets of hobbies while another person might have a completely different set. I'm really into video games and art, but I couldn't care less about sports or watching TV. When I get my own place, I'm probably not even going to have cable and will only use the TV for my console games. Meanwhile, my best friend hasn't ever touched video games outside of iPhone games, which I don't consider REAL games.

  16. #16
    I think a lot of the older generations still perceive gaming as something that you grow out of as you become an adult. Everyone my age (23) and just about everyone in general that I know play some sort of game. Be it games on their smartphones or messing around on the wii with their kids and family. The only people I know that do not play anything really are a the older generation of people and family I know. Most of them, as I said, still perceive gaming as something for kids even though that is clearly not the case anymore. Some people spend time watching tv, I spend time gaming. It's just a different activity.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    I don't think there's any real reason for it. People just have their own sets of hobbies while another person might have a completely different set. I'm really into video games and art, but I couldn't care less about sports or watching TV. When I get my own place, I'm probably not even going to have cable and will only use the TV for my console games. Meanwhile, my best friend hasn't ever touched video games outside of iPhone games, which I don't consider REAL games.
    People DO have their own sets of hobbies, but can you really say you've never been into TV, don't like any shows, never seen a movie?
    If I were to say, yeah, snowboarding; that is a niche hobby.
    Paper crafting; niche.
    Playing guitar; niche.

    Gaming however, is fundamentally the same as TV, or music, or films, entertainment you can do anywhere, by anyone, with anyone, to any genre, anything from light (watching the Big Bang Theory/playing Angry Birds) to heavier (Playing Mass Effect 2/watching a period drama.)
    "I'm sorry, but I can't hear you over the sound of how bad ass my discipline priest looks."

  18. #18
    Pandaren Monk vep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    1,883
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Because games are an actual Hobby you have to put time into and be active in. It's not as simple as picking a song or going to see a movie or turning a TV on.
    Actually, that's not true. At all. It's quite simple playing a match of League of Legends after lunch, for example. Getting a good team on solo queue, however, is a completely different thing!

    The answer is: 2.

    Why would there be a time where everyone plays games? I have plenty friends who barely use their computer. Most of my friends find it more fun to go climbing in the Dolomites than to sit and play a game. It comes down to what people like and what they do not.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Actually, that's not true. At all. It's quite simple playing a match of League of Legends after lunch, for example. Getting a good team on solo queue, however, is a completely different thing!

    The answer is: 2.

    Why would there be a time where everyone plays games? I have plenty friends who barely use their computer. Most of my friends find it more fun to go climbing in the Dolomites than to sit and play a game. It comes down to what people like and what they do not.
    People keep saying this, but I think it's become more than "a different hobby" that "some people do, and some don't." Do you never think it could be something everyone does to a degree, like the other big 3 of entertainment?
    "I'm sorry, but I can't hear you over the sound of how bad ass my discipline priest looks."

  20. #20
    The Patient Rainmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    289
    Mainly I think is cost.

    Casual gaming on phones etc is so sucsessful and mainstream because people ALREADY have the technology, the hardware investment is already made.

    Any other form of gaming however requires a not inconsiderable initial investment cost that will put off most.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •