Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

U.N. to Seek Control of the Internet

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...html?nopager=1

U.N. to Seek Control of the Internet
    Daniel Halper
    November 26, 2012 2:48 PM

Next week the United Nations' International Telecommunications Union will meet in Dubai to figure out how to control the Internet. Representatives from 193 nations will attend the nearly two week long meeting, according to news reports.

"Next week the ITU holds a negotiating conference in Dubai, and past months have brought many leaks of proposals for a new treaty. U.S. congressional resolutions and much of the commentary, including in this column, have focused on proposals by authoritarian governments to censor the Internet. Just as objectionable are proposals that ignore how the Internet works, threatening its smooth and open operations," reports the Wall Street Journal.

"Having the Internet rewired by bureaucrats would be like handing a Stradivarius to a gorilla. The Internet is made up of 40,000 networks that interconnect among 425,000 global routes, cheaply and efficiently delivering messages and other digital content among more than two billion people around the world, with some 500,000 new users a day. ...

"Proposals for the new ITU treaty run to more than 200 pages. One idea is to apply the ITU's long-distance telephone rules to the Internet by creating a 'sender-party-pays' rule. International phone calls include a fee from the originating country to the local phone company at the receiving end. Under a sender-pays approach, U.S.-based websites would pay a local network for each visitor from overseas, effectively taxing firms such as Google and Facebook. The idea is technically impractical because unlike phone networks, the Internet doesn't recognize national borders. But authoritarians are pushing the tax, hoping their citizens will be cut off from U.S. websites that decide foreign visitors are too expensive to serve."

Arthur Herman explains "The UN's Internet Grab" here.

And even Google has already come out against the ITU.

"The ITU is the wrong place to make decisions about the future of the Internet," says Google. "Only governments have a voice at the ITU. This includes governments that do not support a free and open Internet. Engineers, companies, and people that build and use the web have no vote."

"The ITU is also secretive. The treaty conference and proposals are confidential," adds Google.
    Thoughts?

10+ Year Old Account
    All I have is, "good luck with that".

10+ Year Old Account
    My thoughts pretty much.

Seems lately the U.N. is pushing the limits of their power.

All this seems to be is someone else wanting to make money for using the internet besides the ISP's. Like seriously fuck off you greedy cunts.

Uhm, yeah... no, not gonna happen.

Wasn't the internet created by physicists during the Cold War as a weapon of war and then given to the general public for free?

15 years ago, it might have been possible for them to take control of the internet, but considering the impact it has on people's lives nowadays... yeah, good luck with that. You'd have an easier time taking control of our firearms.

Although personally, I think it would be quite exciting to see what would happen if they did happen to take control of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    International internet fee would be funny. 2 billion fees just coming in and lag the server to living hell.

it wont be long before someone or some cult decides to take full control or the net, its going to happen one day.
    When you read about this kinda stuff happening you can just picture a bunch of fucking cocks sat in a room round a table trying to scheme all this shit up........These are the people that need to be destroyed and not allowed to walk the earth...unless there zombies!

i dont get it, they want to charge you extra for connecting to a computer in another country, meh that could just localise everything or ppl just switch to vpns or something.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2012-11-27 at 12:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    U.N couldn't organize a pissup at a brewery
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

10+ Year Old Account
    This is retarded

Quote Originally Posted by OneSent View Post
    Wasn't the internet created by physicists during the Cold War as a weapon of war and then given to the general public for free?

15 years ago, it might have been possible for them to take control of the internet, but considering the impact it has on people's lives nowadays... yeah, good luck with that. You'd have an easier time taking control of our firearms.

Although personally, I think it would be quite exciting to see what would happen if they did happen to take control of it.
    The world would burn. Well, at least the ITU would. People who aren't internet savvy would get angry, and I could see it being something that might cause riots in countries that don't normally riot.

I think the only way for internet to be "free" is for people to network directly, without ISP in the middle. That also means you couldn't trust any website, because for example if you type in 'www.google.com', any pc could lie and say it's a google. You can build things to protect from this, but if you have a central node, than government will control it, whether you like it or not.

I think there's a lot of money in this, and the two 'internets' could co-exist. The current one for official things, like doing your banking, etc. The other one would be very hard to secure, but would work even if government unplugs the main nodes of "real" internet.

Is this the UN, or is this China + Russia?

iirc this needs unanimous approval

the US isn't about to give up control of anything

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Is this the UN, or is this China + Russia?
    It's being pushed by telecomunications companies and of course supported by those two and other small authoritarian states.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard the U.N. say. NO ONE SHOULD CONTROL THE INTERNET. It is the last bastion of human freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Alakir the Windlord View Post
    It's being pushed by telecomunications companies and of course supported by those two and other small authoritarian states.
    I don't really find it fair to say it's the U.N. seeking control rather than the people who are actually pushing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyopz View Post
    That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard the U.N. say. NO ONE SHOULD CONTROL THE INTERNET. It is the last bastion of human freedom.
    The internet is already controlled by a handful of nonprofit US companies.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    This made me laugh pretty hard, since people consider the U.N a joke I guess they want to be taken serious by controlling the internet lol.