Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Nobody listens to the U.N. as it is now, so why would they start on the internet of all places?

Deleted
    I don't see how the UN or even the ITU are trying to do anything at all. It's the authoritarian governments who are trying to push that into the ITU treaty. But only with that support it cannot pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Olo View Post
    The internet is already controlled by a handful of nonprofit US companies.
    It's more like they administer the internet infrastructure.

Deleted
    In the unlikely event that this does happen, I could imagine the EU creating "free internet access between EU countries, so I'm not THAT worried, though I would miss all the wacky Americans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just stop funding the U.N. already...
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Except for the internet already being controlled by US-companies. >.>
    I really don't care who rules it as long as no bullshit law that bans or taxes websites comes up.

Deleted
    I think most Americans would be shocked if they were told that outside the US, the general perception is that the UN is a tool at their service.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know, I keep calling for the disbanding of the UN, and you guys always call me crazy...

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    You know, I keep calling for the disbanding of the UN, and you guys always call me crazy...
    I don't. Since the UN was founded, it has done.... pretty much nothing. Either it needs huge reform with unilateral cooperation by ALL countries, or it just needs to go (which is the more likely of the 2 scenarios).

Especially in this regard. The internet is often times the only source for people to garner the actual truth about what is happening in their region and what they can do to change it. Making the internet a global exchange commodity filtered by people who aren't even elected officials is propaganda in its purest form, regardless of where you live.

Deleted
    We need an organization that get countries to communicate with each other on neutral ground in order to keep the world semi-peaceful. Just having countries communicate with themselves in private will just lead to ideological disputes and accusations of ideological bias. With neutral parties being a part of the debate they can give insightful opinions, ideas and non-war threats (or whatever it's called) which can influence the outcome of the conflict. The UN might not stop all wars, but at least they can help to find a common ground.

Now, no doubt about that some stuff about the UN is stupid - like major powers having more votes and the ability to veto which other smaller countries can't, and ideas like these that the UN shouldn't be a part of to begin with.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by starkey View Post
    U.N couldn't organize a pissup at a brewery
    Very crudely but poignantly put!

The U.N. needs to be disbanded and reformed as something better. I see very little value or relevancy in it at the this point, especially when they do stuff like pass international blasphemy laws and attempt to deal with fascist dictators slaughtering their own people by sheepishly asking them to stop or simply ignoring them altogether in the case of Rhodesia.

Erm, all there is to say to the UN on this is: Knock yourself out..

the internet is the only place i actually feel free, now the U.N. want to take that away from me, they can suck my balls.

this is the kind of thing that starts revolutions and wars

edit: but on the other hand, software engineers would never let this happen. the government pays 100 software developers to design the software, 1000 hackers will work tirelessly for free to break it.

the government need to learn to step the fuck away.

it's like the war on drugs, a complete waste of time and money because they will never win.
    Last edited by smokii; 2012-11-27 at 12:59 PM.
    <insert witty signature here>

Deleted
    Well, if this goes through I don't even want to imagine the ammount of rioting.

Wasn't the internet created by physicists during the Cold War as a weapon of war and then given to the general public for free?

15 years ago, it might have been possible for them to take control of the internet, but considering the impact it has on people's lives nowadays... yeah, good luck with that. You'd have an easier time taking control of our firearms. http://www.readenews.com

Deleted
    I feel bad about bashing the UN, because I know it's predecessors failure, the League of Nations indirectly lead to World War II. On the other hand it's often so incompetent I feel I can leave it's failings to speak for themselves.

Cool, a bunch of old people who have no understanding of the internet are talking about the best ways to police it.

Oh, hey, SOOO many people use the internet... how can us old greedy assholes profit from this?

Deleted
    The internet is a medium with the freedom of none other Controling it/Censoring it would be Difficult if not impossible

Quote Originally Posted by TylerN View Post
    All I have is, "good luck with that".
    Pretty much this,

and I can't understand for the life of me how they can tax every single person for using facebook or google, when they don't own any of the rights to it,
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

Deleted
    It quite worries me that the UN becomes more delusional by the day. All they have ever been is a charade.

Nothing they have ever done, hasn't backfired or succeeded. Time to cut the UN out of the country budgets, it's about time.